Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live abroad, send passport home for visa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Not one 14 hour flight, but I did spend 20 hours travelling with my baby last year. 6 hours on the bus, 3 hours in the airport, 3 shortish flights (about 2 hours each) one very long lay over, followed by 45 minutes drive at the other end. But the looks on Grandpa and Grandma's faces were well worth it.
If you have the money, I say go home, who knows when your next opportunity will be?

I have the money, but more than that, it's the hassle. I know when my next opportunities are. My next opp is this summer, our tickets are booked. 6 weeks in the US. And I'll be going next summer as well for a month.

It's the same amount of time here. 2 hours to the airport, 3 hours waiting, two flights, one will be 2 and the other about 12. then another 1 drive home.

If I went ALL the way home in order to get my visa, that would mean packing my life into suitcase, plus taking the baby and the stroller. Then turning around a month later and doing the same. And both times would be in the winter. No thanks.

Going home to VISIT is different than moving your whole life home, twice in a month. Plus, my parents don't want me coming in the winter: Dec or Jan. thousands of flights were cancelled the last time I was there.
therock

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
MotherF wrote:
Not one 14 hour flight, but I did spend 20 hours travelling with my baby last year. 6 hours on the bus, 3 hours in the airport, 3 shortish flights (about 2 hours each) one very long lay over, followed by 45 minutes drive at the other end. But the looks on Grandpa and Grandma's faces were well worth it.
If you have the money, I say go home, who knows when your next opportunity will be?

I have the money, but more than that, it's the hassle. I know when my next opportunities are. My next opp is this summer, our tickets are booked. 6 weeks in the US. And I'll be going next summer as well for a month.

It's the same amount of time here. 2 hours to the airport, 3 hours waiting, two flights, one will be 2 and the other about 12. then another 1 drive home.

If I went ALL the way home in order to get my visa, that would mean packing my life into suitcase, plus taking the baby and the stroller. Then turning around a month later and doing the same. And both times would be in the winter. No thanks.

Going home to VISIT is different than moving your whole life home, twice in a month. Plus, my parents don't want me coming in the winter: Dec or Jan. thousands of flights were cancelled the last time I was there.

To save on expenses and hassle, why don't you go back alone and get the visas for yourself and your family? Your husband could stay with the child in Korea, after you get the visas go back to Korea, pick up your family and stuff, then head to China. Saves time, hassle and you don't have to take your whole life with you.

I know it's still a pain, but it comes down to how much this job is worth to you.
shadowrider

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
choudoufu wrote:
boohoohooonceagain wrote:
Hardly legal.

welcome to china, boohoo. now that you're finally here, you'll
soon realize that laws are simply rules made to be broken.
anything is possible.

Right. I'll never forget when a woman I worked with found out that her F visa had expired. Two months ago. She had been in China illegally for two months. She was frantic thinking she was facing being fined, jailed, deportation.

She went with our FAO to immigration. The officer scolded our FAO for not taking care of "foreign guests", made him write a letter of apology, and issued a new visa on the spot. No fines, no jail, no deportation. Listen to choudoufu: rules are made to be broken and guanxi works wonders.

Try the Philippines or Taiwan for a visa and a medical check. Closer than a flight to the US... and Cebu Pacific and AirAsia always has discount flights....

My soon-to-be ex employer at first demanded me go back to the US for the visa, medical check and FBI police check. I told them that was impossible due to large flight and hotel costs in the US while I wait for everything. I told them if you really want me as an employee you accept a visa, medical check and local NBI clearance. After a week they said OK. This was also for Suzhou.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from one exception this is all good stuff. Keep it up.
If it works out, this non-traveling visa renewal process should be a sticky.
BTW why do people with minimal posting experience (and long usernames) lay down the law so readily?
Could it be? No, that's impossible!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

therock wrote:
To save on expenses and hassle, why don't you go back alone and get the visas for yourself and your family? Your husband could stay with the child in Korea, after you get the visas go back to Korea, pick up your family and stuff, then head to China. Saves time, hassle and you don't have to take your whole life with you.

I know it's still a pain, but it comes down to how much this job is worth to you.

Becuase I'm her source of food Wink I'm basically a walking pacifier and will continue to be for a while. And my husband doesn't think that she should be away from me.

job means a lot to me, but breastfeeding my daughter and spending time with her means more.

shadowrider wrote:
Try the Philippines or Taiwan for a visa and a medical check. Closer than a flight to the US... and Cebu Pacific and AirAsia always has discount flights....

My soon-to-be ex employer at first demanded me go back to the US for the visa, medical check and FBI police check. I told them that was impossible due to large flight and hotel costs in the US while I wait for everything. I told them if you really want me as an employee you accept a visa, medical check and local NBI clearance. After a week they said OK. This was also for Suzhou.

Still be expensive, but more than that risky. All I need is to be denied the visa, then stuck there with no job in Korea nor China. I think sending the passports is the way to go. But , Taiwan? Do you think I could get a Chinese visa there? A friend of mine worked there, left about a year ago and had to send his passport back to the US to get a Chinese visa.

that's odd about the FBI checks. I've had LOADS and always done them from overseas.
Non Sequitur wrote:
Apart from one exception this is all good stuff. Keep it up.
If it works out, this non-traveling visa renewal process should be a sticky.
BTW why do people with minimal posting experience (and long usernames) lay down the law so readily?
Could it be? No, that's impossible!

totally agree!
isitts

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Actually I can't get ANY Chinese visas here where I live now, since you're required to have more than 6 months on your visa. My visa finishes 28 Feb. I'll have less than 6 months and will be denied even before I apply.

I'd heard there was a way around the 6 month thing. Or was that only for tourist visas?

How is anyone supposed to line up a job in China from another foreign country with this six month rule?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
Actually I can't get ANY Chinese visas here where I live now, since you're required to have more than 6 months on your visa. My visa finishes 28 Feb. I'll have less than 6 months and will be denied even before I apply.

I'd heard there was a way around the 6 month thing. Or was that only for tourist visas?

How is anyone supposed to line up a job in China from another foreign country with this six month rule?

The only way around the six month thing is if you leave and hand in your residence card and come back. Problem is that in theory it will work, in practice it doesn't, since you have to be a resident or Korean citizen, in order to get a CHinese visa here.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
The only way around the six month thing is if you leave and hand in your residence card and come back. Problem is that in theory it will work, in practice it doesn't, since you have to be a resident or Korean citizen, in order to get a CHinese visa here.

Yeah, but I mean how is anyone going to have six months left on their visa? Get a new job and then break contract less than six months in? Other people have transitioned from other foreign countries to China. Did they all have to go home first?

Also, didn't you mention your current visa expires end of February? Isn't that well over six months from now?

(Sorry, I don't mean to burden this thread with my dumb questions, but I am curious about logistics of this sort of transition. And it seems you've lined up a job way further in advance than most and it's still not making the deadline. Just a little confused on that.)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
Yeah, but I mean how is anyone going to have six months left on their visa?

Also, didn't you mention your current visa expires end of February? Isn't that well over six months from now?

Pretty easy.
Break contract
Be married to a Korean
Have an ethnic visa

Yes, my contract finishes in Feb. BUt I can't apply for a Chinese visa now, since you have to enter China within 90 days upon getting your visa.
isitts

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Yes, my contract finishes in Feb. BUt I can't apply for a Chinese visa now, since you have to enter China within 90 days upon getting your visa.

That don't make no sense.

You should try to get your current employer to recontract you out of formality so you can get a new visa. Smile

Anyway, good luck!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

That don't make no sense.

You should try to get your current employer to recontract you out of formality so you can get a new visa. Smile

Anyway, good luck!

NOt goign to happen. We're switching visas next year, so being recontracted would mean flying to Japan for a new visa. Cost my friend about $1000 usd. No point in doing that.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My passport has gone back to the states twice over the years to get visas; the first time I sent it, the second time an agent here in China sent it for me while I stayed in China. I was getting an F visa, but an agent who knows their stuff could get you a Z visa if you provide the necessary paperwork from the school. Should take less than a month to process, so you could enter on an L visa.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
My passport has gone back to the states twice over the years to get visas; the first time I sent it, the second time an agent here in China sent it for me while I stayed in China. I was getting an F visa, but an agent who knows their stuff could get you a Z visa if you provide the necessary paperwork from the school. Should take less than a month to process, so you could enter on an L visa.

sometimes it works. sometimes it doesn't. it depends on how strict
the consulate in your home country is --- do they need to see your
rp/wp cancelled? are they looking for a china exit stamp? and what
about the local authorities once your passport returns? you have a
new z-visa, but no proof of entry. nothing to show when the 30-day
conversion period starts and ends.

i recall that recently (within the past year) a teacher from new zealand
tried this and was caught. very trouble. i think that was hewlett77
or similar.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
sometimes it works. sometimes it doesn't. it depends on how strict the consulate in your home country is --- do they need to see your rp/wp cancelled? are they looking for a china exit stamp? and what
about the local authorities once your passport returns? you have a
new z-visa, but no proof of entry. nothing to show when the 30-day
conversion period starts and ends.

i recall that recently (within the past year) a teacher from new zealand
tried this and was caught. very trouble. i think that was hewlett77
or similar.

I guess it depends on the consulate back home. Luckily the US doesn't stamp passports upon arrival, though I'd be missing the stamp leaving where I am now. As far as local authorities, I guess that doesn't apply. I can't imagine Korea caring about a Chinese stamp.

From what I understand is that this person was IN China and used an agent IN China. (And people were questioning if it was a troll or not) I would think that would raise red flags since the passport would be missing an exit and entry visa. Not the case for me, I'm in a foreign country, using agents that the embassy and consulate have listed on their websites. I'm hoping it'll work.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could work. I'm in China with RP in current passport (one page left).

I could send my new passport to SA via DHL, apply for a Biz/Tourist visa in that, have it sent back to me via DHL, then exit China on old passport, re-enter on new passport.

Simple enough, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: