Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cartels vow to KILL Americans!!! (WARNING)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Cartels vow to KILL Americans!!! (WARNING) Reply with quote

American travelers to Mexico should beware of possible violent retaliation for this week's arrest of alleged Zetas drug cartel associates and family members inside the U.S., the U.S. State Department has warned.

http://news.yahoo.com/travel-warning-mexico-possible-violent-retaliation-against-americans-143445504--abc-news-topstories.html
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US Govt telling people to be on guard just in case of any retaliation, is not "cartels vowing to kill Americans". Good grief. I've read the official warning in it's entirety.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inappropriate, off-topic and derailing postings have been deleted.

Address the topic and the message rather than the messenger.

If not, there will be sanctions.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
The US Govt telling people to be on guard just in case of any retaliation, is not "cartels vowing to kill Americans". Good grief. I've read the official warning in it's entirety.

Here's the short form from the Yahoo's link...

Quote:
The U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens traveling and residing in Mexico to the enhanced potential for violence related to today�s arrests of Transnational Criminal Organization (TCO) associates and family members residing in the United States.

This morning, U.S. federal law enforcement agents arrested associates and family members of a senior TCO member, and seized property and assets within the United States. These arrests could result in some form of retaliation and/or anti-American violence. Given the history and resources of this violent TCO, the U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to maintain a low profile and a heightened sense of awareness.

Please review the Department of State�s Travel Warning concerning travel within Mexico and the state of Tamaulipas, available at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html. The Department continues to advise U.S. citizens to defer non-essential travel to the state of Tamaulipas. We also encourage U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel registration web site at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/ so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security. Americans without internet access may register in person or by phone with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

For any emergencies involving American citizens in the Matamoros consular district, please call or visit the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit at the U.S. Consulate General on Avenida Primera #2002, Col. Jard�n, Matamoros, Tamaulipas. Telephone 011 (52) (868) 812-4402; http://matamoros.usconsulate.gov/.

I don't see cartels or TCOs or any particular cartel (Zetas in this case) vowing anything either. They point out Tamaulipas and give the usual lame advice of 'keep your head down'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Samantha wrote:

Here's the short form from the Yahoo's link...

Quote:
The U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens traveling and residing in Mexico to the enhanced potential for violence related to today�s arrests of Transnational Criminal Organization (TCO) associates and family members residing in the United States.

This morning, U.S. federal law enforcement agents arrested associates and family members of a senior TCO member, and seized property and assets within the United States. These arrests could result in some form of retaliation and/or anti-American violence. Given the history and resources of this violent TCO, the U.S. Embassy urges U.S. citizens to maintain a low profile and a heightened sense of awareness.

Please review the Department of State�s Travel Warning concerning travel within Mexico and the state of Tamaulipas, available at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html. The Department continues to advise U.S. citizens to defer non-essential travel to the state of Tamaulipas. We also encourage U.S. citizens living or traveling abroad to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department's travel registration web site at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/ so that they can obtain updated information on travel and security. Americans without internet access may register in person or by phone with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

For any emergencies involving American citizens in the Matamoros consular district, please call or visit the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit at the U.S. Consulate General on Avenida Primera #2002, Col. Jard�n, Matamoros, Tamaulipas. Telephone 011 (52) (868) 812-4402; http://matamoros.usconsulate.gov/.

I don't see cartels or TCOs or any particular cartel (Zetas in this case) vowing anything either. They point out Tamaulipas and give the usual lame advice of 'keep your head down'.

Best advice is to just avoid Mexico... Plenty of other places where the TEFL market is better anyways Razz
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof, the warnings you issue from time to time remind me of a little joke Russians used to like to tell.

""The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse". The optimist says, "It can, it can!""
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Prof, the warnings you issue from time to time remind me of a little joke Russians used to like to tell.

""The pessimist says, "It can't get any worse". The optimist says, "It can, it can!""

I like that, T!
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you did, Guapa.

Heeding these warnings has given me a permanently stooped posture, from keeping my head down.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:

Glad to be of service, feel free to read or not read as you prefer, I prefer to know what's going on, instead of sticking my head into the proverbial sand.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
wrote:
Glad to be of service, feel free to read or not read as you prefer, I prefer to know what's going on, instead of sticking my head into the proverbial sand.

MOD EDIT

DL

It doesn't matter where you are or if you teach or not. The US embassy warning never mentioned a vow to kill Americans but it also didn't mention people teaching in Mexico...one has to assume it was an oversight by the cartels. Who knows what else they meant to say?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Best advice is to just avoid Mexico...

If I'd heeded that advice, I'd have missed all the positive things living and working in the country have brought me and my wife, over the last three and a half years.

This summer I started a course called, "Introduction to the Chinese Language and Culture." You think that's not fun? In addition to language and culture, we look at the history of China, and the problems of modern Chinese society, as well. I meet that class two days a week, and my International Business English classes daily, during the summer term, so it's a fast pace, but I like it.

There are so many who have come here and established a rewarding life for themselves that it distresses me to see others being actively discouraged from giving it a shot. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but where in the world is?
Samantha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right, T. That's what's so great about life. People and places differ vastly. Mexico isn't for everyone...so be it. I can't imagine still being stuck on the hamster wheel I left behind up north, instead of living the life I enjoy here in Mexico.
canada_1986

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the last two posts. What saddens me is that while people obsess over "what-if" scenarios in Mexico and Mexico City, there have been two recent broad-daylight murders in Toronto, both in places I've been to in the past year. One of them occurred just yesterday, at a cafe where people were watching a Euro Cup match. The other occurred in a shopping mall.

When I was in university, we had a number of armed robberies near the campus where students had laptops stolen at gunpoint. And, more recently, one neighbourhood in my home city has had multiple gang-related shootings, at least one of which was fatal. These are things that at least one Mexican has tried to tell me "doesn't happen" in so-called first-world countries. That neighbourhood has had more shootings since January than there have been in my colonia since I've lived here.

The point is, bad things happen everywhere. While some people obsess over the negatives about Mexico, they forget about the rest of the world. The fact is, the whole world is a dangerous place.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent more than half my adult life in Mexico and still haven't had as much crime happen to me here as I did in tranquil Ottawa.

Living here really opened my eyes to what the media is and how it controls us. Headlines like Cartels vow to KILL Americans!!! (WARNING) are all too common in this fear model they'll have us live in.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have this sudden urge to grab two little pink cheeks and give someone's head a little abuela shake.... Very Happy

DL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: