Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to look for work in Cambodia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sencersinan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Where to look for work in Cambodia Reply with quote

I have a 120 hour TEFL

I spent a year in University studying banking but am in the middle of changing my course...taking a gap for a year or two.

I will have 3 months of teaching experience before I go to Thailand. Some of my experience will be private tuition for monks, some of my experience will be teaching beginner classes, some of my experience will be teaching intermediate classes, and 2 months of my experience will be spent teaching in a school.

I consider myself a good teacher. I am smart, confident, kind, have a good sense of humor and also having experience teaching sales in my previous job. I have had experience learning french to a near fluent standard.

Can someone tell me where can I find work in Cambodia?
mcsensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a TEFL certificate, a uni degree, and most importantly, a pulse, you'll have no trouble finding work in Cambodia.
Bornlucky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are degrees necessary to teach in Cambodia?

From reading other posts I was under the impression that Cambodia was the last remaining country in Asia not requiring a BA to teach legally...

My dreams are crushed again!!!!
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bornlucky wrote:
Are degrees necessary to teach in Cambodia?

From reading other posts I was under the impression that Cambodia was the last remaining country in Asia not requiring a BA to teach legally...

My dreams are crushed again!!!!

A degree is not a visa requirement, however all the better schools and employers will want to see one. It is quite possible to pick up bottom-feeder work without a degree, but it will be something of a challenge to live on the proceeds and you probably won't enjoy working for the outfits which will employ you.
jmatt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcsensei wrote:
If you've got a TEFL certificate, a uni degree, and most importantly, a pulse, you'll have no trouble finding work in Cambodia.

Granted, it was 10 years ago so YMMV, but...

I arrived in PP looking to settle down for a bit during a lengthy period of travel, having 3 years of experience teaching in Japan.

I asked around at the guesthouse I was staying at and was taken to a school by a Canadian guy (who I later discovered was a total amoral deviant...) and my interview consisted of:

"So, you are an American?"

"Yes."

"OK, here's the book, the classroom's over there---teach it."

"Don't you want to see my...."

"No, no, just teach the class."

So, I did--wonderful students, the class went well, and once done, the director called a few students into the office and asked them how it went. They said it was good, so he gave me that class and two others. Got the feeling it went the other way just as often. And to say that the foreign staff were the motliest of crews would be an understatement. A few days later, walking around a neighborhood south of the Victory Monument, scored a huge, sweet apartment with French doors onto a balcony overlooking a market for $100 a month. Stayed 6 months---awesome experience, but such a damaged country and the amount of deviants among the ex-pat population was pretty repulsive.

Those days are probably gone, but I'm sure the basic situation's still the same. Show up, ask around, be a Westerner with a pulse and you'll find a job.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Khmer440 forum Reply with quote

Try posting in khmer440 forum for a job. Lots of good info on apartments, things for sale, etc.
Cubism

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: 2/2013 MOVE TO CAMBODIA? REALLY? Reply with quote

The dollar's going down in India. I need need need a cheap Asian country with some ESL work!!!

How real is this Cambodia thing? I read K 440 and it sounds kind of ok...

Pls advise. (I'm literate, have tons of esl experience, a BA, am a simple-lifer, an OP, hale and hearty...)
rockyp44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Places to apply Reply with quote

Try ACE (IDP), run by the Australians. I've heard it is the best language school in the city; saw their teachers' resource room and it was thorough and super-organized. There's also one in Siem Reap.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: ICS English Institute Reply with quote

Try here, too. [email protected]
www.ics.edu.kh

In PP
Monkey king

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phnom Penh

Able Kids Center

www.ablekidscenter.com

ACE Australian Centre for Education

www.cambodia.idp.com/ace.aspx

AEC American Education Center

www.aec.edu.kh

American Intercon Institute

www.aii.edu.kh

American Pacific School

www.aps.edu.kh

Big Success Education Center

bigsecenter.weebly.com

Cambridge CDC

www.cambridgecdc.net

Footprints School

www.footprintsschool.edu.kh

Harvest Educater Center

www.harvestedc2donation.webs.com

Home of English

homeofenglish.edu.kh

Liberty International School

www.libertycambodia.com

Modern International School

www.miscambodia.com

New World Institute

www.nwi.edu.kh

Northbridge International School

www.niscambodia.com

Norton University

www.norton-u.com

Pannasastra International School

www.psis.edu.kh

VIP Training International

www.viptrainingint.com

Western International School

www.western.edu.kh

Zaman International School

zamanisc.com
ldragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about working with a BA, but no TEFL? My BA is in English. I have 2+ years of experience teaching in Thailand.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldragon wrote:
What about working with a BA, but no TEFL? My BA is in English. I have 2+ years of experience teaching in Thailand.

If you are in BKK, just pick up a TEFL from the KhaoSan Road School of EFL and hop a bus to PP, no probs!
MESL

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey King, that's an awesome list. Do any of these schools accept resumes by email? If I have to visit all of them to discover whether they're hiring at the moment, that's a lot of running around. Not to mention finding a driver who can find all of them.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MESL wrote:
Monkey King, that's an awesome list. Do any of these schools accept resumes by email? If I have to visit all of them to discover whether they're hiring at the moment, that's a lot of running around. Not to mention finding a driver who can find all of them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of TEFL in Phnom Penh. Running around is about the only way you are going to find work. I would be extremely surprised if you got any responses to an email enquiry, though doubtless stranger things have happened.

Quite right too about the logistics of finding all or any of those places using the services of directionally-challenged tuk-tuk drivers and motordops. I suggest you plot your course using either Google Maps or the Phnom Penh Street Guide (available at bookshops and some hostelries for $5). That way you will at least be able to give directions and reduce the possibility of ending up in Vietnam.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much should I expect to make in PP with a degree and 1 year teaching esl in Korea? (no tefl/celta) Ease of getting a job? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: