Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving beyond entry level (A master's from Temple?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonenglish wrote:
You can get get some part-time uni jobs but even those are fairly scarce with many other MA job applicants. It might take about two years to fill out your week with work.
Won't argue with anything else but this. It's not necessarily true. Depends on who you know, where you did your degree (hint: Temple is not necessarily 'top tier'), what you know, and how far you are willing to commute.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
simonenglish wrote:
You can get get some part-time uni jobs but even those are fairly scarce with many other MA job applicants. It might take about two years to fill out your week with work.
Won't argue with anything else but this. It's not necessarily true. Depends on who you know, where you did your degree (hint: Temple is not necessarily 'top tier'), what you know, and how far you are willing to commute.

Years ago I had the problem of receiving offers from several universities to teach part-time classes. However, they all fell on the same two days - Monday and Thursday. I could only take 2 of the job offers which resulted in a monthly income of about 180, 000 a month as opposed to a little under 400, 000 a month.

And that was in Tokyo. There are people who teach 15 - 30 koma, all part-time, but it's taken them years to fill up their schedules with classes that don't conflict with each other.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
You might wish to consider the JALT special interest groups publications/mini-conferences - I understand that since they're not peer-reviewed publications,
Uh, wrong. They are indeed peer-reviewed. The thing to learn is whether they are blind reviewed. If the editorial staff takes what you send without that, it is merely peer-reviewed and not under scrutiny for its full academic merit. Journals (JALT and otherwise) vary in their requirements for acceptance. Many conference presentations undergo the same process, blind or otherwise.

As far as I know, most of JACET's papers are in Japanese, BTW.

If you want a list of publications, go here:
http://jalthokkaido.net/blog/?p=687
http://www.englishlab.net/applied-linguistics-a-tesol-publications.html
http://iteslj.org/links/TESL/Journals_on_Paper/
http://iteslj.org/links/TESL/Journals_on_the_Web/
http://www.eslcafe.com/search/Online_ESL_Publications/more2.html
(I have a list, too, from an old TESOL conference. It describes 100 journals or so, what their genre are, submission requirements, etc. PM me for a copy.)

Some publishing advice here:
http://jalthokkaido.net/blog/?p=1169
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Mr_Monkey wrote:
You might wish to consider the JALT special interest groups publications/mini-conferences - I understand that since they're not peer-reviewed publications,
Uh, wrong. They are indeed peer-reviewed.
Fair enough - it seems I was misled.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
I'm not sure what part of "it's not necessarily true" is difficult to understand.

It's the main problem with teaching part-time at universities. Many people receive several job offers for part-time classes from different universities but the offers all overlap. So the big problem is filling up your schedule.

It's not difficult to understand - I've personally been in that situation!
simonenglish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Solar's comments. It does take time to fill out a schedule because you could be working for three or four universities and classes may overlap. Some teachers will teach at one university in the morning, and then travel one hour plus to the next university for afternoon classes but I never wanted to do that.

Generally, class loads are also going down with many universities cutting classes, as well as teachers. I was working for three universities in Tokyo in 2010, and two of them closed their English programs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: