Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Border Hopping for Another Six Months???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ord2world

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Border Hopping for Another Six Months??? Reply with quote

Hello, everyone!

I'm considering other Spanish speaking countries as a back-up plan in case I don't get a visa for Spain. Some answers on this forum are a bit dated, so I'd like to be sure I have the correct information.

1. How easy is it to find private ESL tutoring jobs in Peru? BTW- This will not be my main source of income.
2. As a U.S. citizen, I can stay in Peru for up to 6 months without a visa. Is it still possible to "border hop" to Bolivia for a few days and come back into Peru to stay legally for another six months?
3. I'd like to live and study in Lima. Are wifi connections dependable there? I'll be finishing the last year of my B.A.
4. Should I book a Spanish course from the U.S. or wait until I'm in Peru? I have a feeling there will be cheaper courses if I inquire in person.

Please share any useful links. Thank you so much for your help!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Border Hopping for Another Six Months??? Reply with quote

1. takes a while to build up enough students.
2. Yep, or just pay the $1 fine.
3. Pretty decent.
4. Go there and look around

expatperu.com and livinginperu.com are good
ord2world

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Border Hopping for Another Six Months??? Reply with quote

I had given up hope on getting an answer. Thank you so much, Nature Girl!

naturegirl321 wrote:
1. takes a while to build up enough students.
2. Yep, or just pay the $1 fine.
3. Pretty decent.
4. Go there and look around

expatperu.com and livinginperu.com are good
newdayrising

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Border Hopping for Another Six Months??? Reply with quote

ord2world wrote:

2. As a U.S. citizen, I can stay in Peru for up to 6 months without a visa. Is it still possible to "border hop" to Bolivia for a few days and come back into Peru to stay legally for another six months?

Bolivia is an incredible, beautiful country. Just be aware that Americans need to pay a hundred something dollars for a tourist visa in Bolivia. Arica, Chile might be a less complicated (and warmer) border-hopping destination.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to second that, as of now Americans have to pay 150 dollars or so to enter Bolivia, (which is crap) but I think it lasts 5 years or something so you can do it free next time. Chile is by far the easiest and cheapest way to do it if you are close. Brazil is a pain in the ass because you have to get the visa in Lima.

But, unless you live cloe to the border, paying a dollar a day is not only easier, but it is cheaper after bus and hotel and all that.

Private lessons are plentiful, but yes, it takes a while to build up students.

My WiFi in Lima sucks, but if you pay for it you can get a good connection.

If you have time, take some Spanish before you come, it will help. If not, do it here you�ll learn faster once you�re surrounded by the language.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be good for as long as your passport is valid for. US ones are good for 10 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: