Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESL Canada cert in ME

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith.colella

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: TESL Canada cert in ME Reply with quote

Hello,

I am relatively new to ESL and considering completing a certification course that would give me TESL Canada Standard 2 (CELTA is at Standard 1 and an MA is at 3; http://www.tesl.ca/), but I have a few questions regarding it's recognition worldwide.

First, my current qualications:
-BS Writing/Print Journalism
-BA Political Science
-two years teaching experience at a middle school (though I'm not a certified teacher)
-currently enrolled in Americorps program teaching ESL domestically
-hopefully another year of ESL teaching domestically with Berlitz
-High intermediate speaking/reading/writing skills in formal and colloquial Moroccan Arabic
-6 months living experience in Morocco

I hope to spend about two years teaching EFL in Egypt/the Levant/Morocco/somewhere where the qualifications are lower. I figure the TESL Canada 2 will qualify me enough to find liveable work in these countries.
What I'm wondering is, once I've finished teaching in these countries, might I be able to find lower-tier work in the gulf, namely Oman? I understand that the majority of jobs (especially the good ones) require an MA, but I've read about some in Oman/Saudi that will accept BA + TEFL cert + # years of experience. In this case, would TESL Canada 2 be accepted as a legitimate TEFL cert? I understand that even though this course (250 hours instruction, 20 hour practicum) exceeds the requirements for most TEFL certs, it doesn't have the name recognition of CELTA/Trinity. But might it do the trick in this situation?

Also, anyone have any idea if its recognized in other parts of the world, Europe, Latin America?

Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, anyone have any idea if its recognized in other parts of the world, Europe, Latin America?

Assuming that you are Canadian and don't have a second citizenship from an EU member country, for Europe you are legally limited to the 'new' EU member countries in any case. So, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, etc - and further East.
Germany is also an option.

The other Western European countries have national hiring laws that dictate EU member citizens only for English language teaching (and many other jobs) - about the only way to get in is on an exceptional visa (meaning you have somethig to offer that no EU citizen candidate for the position can match - unlikely even with high-level quals and experience as there are many well-qualified UK and Irish citizens around). Alternatively, you can try to get citizenship through ancestry if you've got European ancestors, or to marry a local Shocked Very Happy .

For Central/Eastern Europe and Germany, the training you state would certainly be recognised. You would need to highlight on your CV the number of hours of the course and the practicum and its length to indicate clearly that what you have exceeds a CELTA or equivalent. Don't count on simply putting the name of the program - you would need a short description. I would also include this in any letter of application you send.
keith.colella

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! That's good to hear. I'd read about those hiring policies in western European nations, but central/eastern Europe seems like it might be a good destination at some point. And I'll be sure to highlight the details of the program in any resumes/letters I send. I'm thinking the same rule should apply in the Mid East. As long as I provide the details of the program and it checks out, I don't see them taking issue with it.
blackorchid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: TESOL Certification Reply with quote

As a Canadian you would be better off doing a MA TESOL or MA Applied Linguistics. At a minimum do a 2nd undergraduate degree in English or Applied Linguistics (Second degree programs are offered by most Canadian universities). In the middle east, specifically Saudi Arabia, visa requirements now stipulate a minimum BA English + the certification TESOL.

TESL Canada levels mean nothing overseas, they are only relevant if you intend on teaching in Canada. More important is to make certain your program has the required classroom hours and practicum components. If you want broad international recognition better to do a program with the Cambridge CELTA.

Remember TESL certificates or diplomas only get you lower paying teaching jobs. The better teaching jobs are for those with B.Ed or M.Ed and TESOL.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackorchid I would disagree that TEFL certificates get you lower paying jobs, experience gets you higher paying jobs and good training, regardless if you have an education degree or not.

I have gotten a job in KSA and I have two TEFL certificates, a TEYL, BS Public Administration, MBA, and MA International Relations. I have taught as a full time substitute in an American public school district for ESL for 3 years and one year in a private school.

It comes down to you the person, how you interview, your experience, and your ability to speak before people and your knowledge. I know those with education degrees who are basically useless in the classroom.
ntropy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one in the ME has a clue what my TESL Canada qualifications mean and would rather just go with hiring someone with the well-known CELTA etc. They won't make the effort to try and correlate them.

I have both but even though the TESL Canada quals are superior in scope and classroom practice, it's only the CELTA that gets me employment.
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice to anyone is don't listen to being told you CAN'T get a job. I did get a job and don't have a CELTA. It comes down to how good you interview, your background, and your university degrees. I listed my qualifications above and got a university job and was told by some on Dave's you CAN'T get a job in the ME.

I have learned through the years, when you tell me I can't do something. I will prove you wrong. I don't believe in being told you can't and long as you have half a brain, you can do whatever you put your mind to. It may take a lot of work and persistence, I certainly did. But for people to constantly say to run somewhere else, do what your heart desires.

I tried China but never could get past the contracts because they were outright liars and cheats. Why put my family through that when you can't even get past the contract phase. What I went through so far has met expectations, other than how Saudis have a different view on time and efficiency.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntropy wrote:
No one in the ME has a clue what my TESL Canada qualifications mean and would rather just go with hiring someone with the well-known CELTA etc. They won't make the effort to try and correlate them.

I have both but even though the TESL Canada quals are superior in scope and classroom practice, it's only the CELTA that gets me employment.

Of course, they'd be drawn to your CELTA---its brand is familiar to them. However, how would potential employers know your TESL Canada quals are "superior in scope and classroom practice" to the CELTA if you don't make it obvious to them? (Frankly, if I saw two TEFL certs indicated on a CV/resume and one was a CELTA, I'd naturally assume the other cert was of lesser quality.) And what if you didn't have the CELTA?

The burden is on you to best present your qualifications in your cover letter and/or on your resume/CV in a way that doesn't leave employers guessing about the scope of what those quals entailed. For example, since I don't have a CELTA or any other standalone TEFL cert, I state on my resume that my masters program included a 135-hour ESOL practicum; otherwise, potential employers wouldn't know. I also list coursework most employers consider desirable (e.g., curriculum design, technology and teaching, ESP, language assessment & testing, etc.), ensuring I catch their attention.

My point is, in general, potential employers shouldn't have to speculate about your qualifications; their wrong assumptions could get your CV/resume chucked into the wrong pile. You have to do the work for them by taking away any guesswork---make it easier for them and subsequently, for yourself.
keith.colella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand, thanks very much for all the insight. Considering how many opinions there are here, I think I'll probably stick to the CELTA or some other internationally recognized cert (Trinty, or maybe even SIT). I do think I could find opportunities with TESL Canada, but like many have said, I'd rather not put myself at a disadvantage (my resume is already quite thin). Either way, I'll be sure to list out the details of whatever cert I get when I apply for jobs.

Now I just need to find the best way to take the course!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: