Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahrain Today? August 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Bahrain Today? August 2012 Reply with quote

Dear all who read the Bahrain section,

I am speaking to a school about a position in Bahrain. Dont know much except housing is included, and there is a transportation allowance.
My questions:

A. I know Bahrain is expensive.... How much USD would I need to survive, and save maybe 500-800 a month? Not planning on partying too much.

B. My concern is transportation- I wont be buying a car. How do I get around? Taxi's? Some little buses?

C. How is the political environment? I lived in Beirut Lebanon through some bombing... and I know that if there is an issue, the US Embassy will ask us to leave but it doesnt seem like the demonstrations are getting out of hand.

Shokran!
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one in Bahrain?
mashkif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahrain Today? August 2012 Reply with quote

vashdown2 wrote:
Dear all who read the Bahrain section,

I am speaking to a school about a position in Bahrain. Dont know much except housing is included, and there is a transportation allowance.
My questions:

A. I know Bahrain is expensive.... How much USD would I need to survive, and save maybe 500-800 a month? Not planning on partying too much.

B. My concern is transportation- I wont be buying a car. How do I get around? Taxi's? Some little buses?

C. How is the political environment? I lived in Beirut Lebanon through some bombing... and I know that if there is an issue, the US Embassy will ask us to leave but it doesnt seem like the demonstrations are getting out of hand.

Shokran!

A: You should be looking at a salary of about BHD 1,000, but certsinly not less than 800.

B: Where do you plan to go? Where will you be staying? Taxis are very expensive even without their trying to cheat you, which most of them do. There is a semblance of public transportation in Manama and Isa Town, and smaller minibus-cabs run as far down to Riffa. However, large parts of the country are not covered, and what transportation there is is subject to cancellation and severe delays owing to frequent spontaneous demonstrations flaring up, which are invariably violently broken up. Then there is the tire- and oil-burning, which brings the highway in question to a standstill for an hour at a time. You'd be best advised to get your own vehicle, hire a driver, ride a bicycle, or walk. You better hope the accommodations are in the vicinity of the school, as this WILL otherwise be your biggest problem.

C: The situation is bad. Think Apartheid-era South Africa. You will be o.k. and are likely to have a good time. All the while, literally hundreds of thousands of Bahrainis will continue being savagely abused on a daily basis by imported mercenaries using tactics Qadafi would have been proud of.

In your place, I'd ask myself about the morality of working there and tacitly lending credence to the repugnant Khalife regime. The U.A.E., Kuwait, Qatar, and even Oman are all infinitely better places to work in, including in terms of monetary rewards.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that detailed response.

Yes, having lived in Egypt and Lebanon, I figured that transportation is going to be biggest issue. Well, of logitics, I mean.

The job is based in the Capital of Manama. Not sure if it going to happen though.... the language center has a bad rap in almost every country it has a branch, and the person in contact with me hardly reponds to emails/ asked me for my CV 3 times already..... not sure she is interested really, or if she is just not enjoying life!
mashkif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vashdown2 wrote:
Thank you for that detailed response.

Yes, having lived in Egypt and Lebanon, I figured that transportation is going to be biggest issue. Well, of logitics, I mean.

The job is based in the Capital of Manama. Not sure if it going to happen though.... the language center has a bad rap in almost every country it has a branch, and the person in contact with me hardly reponds to emails/ asked me for my CV 3 times already..... not sure she is interested really, or if she is just not enjoying life!

Ah, but WHERE in Manama? And where are you accommodations located?

This is not a question of being persnickety. Manama varies wildly from one neighborhood to the next, in terms of price, amenities, as well as trouble. Make sure you get these answers and run it by us on the board BEFORE you commit to anything!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You CAN get around Manama by bus. Check out services from the bus stion - located just across from the NOTORIOUS Tylios Hotel.
mashkif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
You CAN get around Manama by bus. Check out services from the bus stion - located just across from the NOTORIOUS Tylios Hotel.

Sure you can, provided there"s no rioting in or around Bab Al-Bahrain, Burhama, anywhere from the Dairy Queen Roundabout thru Sihla, Mahooz, and Awadiyya, to mention a few.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, my dear Mashkif, iswhy I capitalised the modal verb, to stress that it is possible, but...................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: