Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for aspiring ME English Teacher

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cauthon7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Advice for aspiring ME English Teacher Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I`m just looking for some advice on working in the ME. First, a little about myself.

Male age 30, single, no kids
Qualifications: Bachelor of International Business (concentration Finance)
MA Applied Linguistics (Columbia Teachers College) Graduation date May 2013
Cambridge CELTA
BULATS certified

4 years of teaching experience to adults (mostly academic prep/writing/TOEFL/IELTS in Canada for 1.5 years. Most of my Students were from Saudi Arabia) and business English teaching/corporate training in Japan and South Korea in large conglomerates. I do not have any experience teaching kids or high school and it really isn`t something I would want to pursue.

I see a lot of jobs advertised that don`t even require an MA. Should I aim higher even though A. I have never worked in the ME before and B. I will have no teaching experience after my MA is completed this year?

Ideally, I would like to work in the UAE or Saudia Arabia with a defense contractor like Raytheon or BAE Systems but any attempts to contact their HR for information has bounced or received no response and the info here about them seems outdated. I`ve researched a lot about the UAE and KSA and it seems like they offer the best packages although I realize life in Saudi Arabia is much harder. I also do realize that conditions and benefits have gown down considerably over the past 15 years (so I believe I`m realistic about my expectations) but this is happening everywhere in the TESL/TEFL world. My goal is just to get some working experience, some vacation to go back home, maybe learn a little Arabic and save about 25k USD. Am I asking too much here? Is a university like Zayed or HCT aiming too high?

Opportunities in Canada are mostly seasonal and part-time even with an MA. I don`t want to return to Asia because qualifications aren`t really rewarded and one is pigeon holed into a conversation teacher. IMO, it would be a waste after busting my hump to complete an expensive degree in the USA just to teach English conversation to freshmen Korean/Japanese Students.

Sorry for the long winded post. Any advice through PM or on this thread would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCT and ZU generally require the MA + 3 years post grad experience minimum, and there are lots of qualified applicants.

All you can do is apply and see if you make it through the screening process - but don't count on getting an interview. But who knows? You may hit the right timing and move on through.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to research the defense contractor jobs before applying and/or accepting. Search here (use the search for all terms option) and also on google. Take a look at KFUPM and see if you fit into their requirements. It is probably the best conditions in Saudi, if not the highest salary.

As far as the top UAE jobs, helen1 has pointed out the issue of experience after MA which they ask always ask for... But, you lose nothing but time if you apply over the various university websites. You need to have a good cover letter which emphasizes your Academic English teaching experience with Arabic speakers.

VS
Cauthon7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied to this thread (Vs and helen) and sent me messages via PM. It is greatly appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: