Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

masters on campus v distance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamblaram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: masters on campus v distance Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm tossing up the pros and cons of doing a Masters in Applied Linguistics by distance-learning (versus on-campus). I've read a lot about employers in the ME not hiring teachers with distance MAs (App.Ling/TESOL). Is this a visa/paperwork issue? Or do Universities in the ME deem distance degrees as inferior? If it's the former, would my MA in Creative Writing (done on campus in the UK) counter this issue?

I suspect that there are no cut and dry answers, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: masters on campus v distance Reply with quote

shamblaram wrote:
...would my MA in Creative Writing (done on campus in the UK) counter this issue?

In terms of employers considering your MA in Creative Writing, it could come down to how solid/relevant your post-degree teaching experience is. In your similar thread from a year ago, you stated you have a CELTA. Frankly, instead of asking the same thing over (and hoping to get the answer you want to hear), why not just apply for positions to see if employers will bite?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do away with any questions, just do the degree on campus. If you can afford it, it is the best way IMHO. Most people do one online because they can't afford to take the time off to do it on campus.

VS
shamblaram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the PMs/replies.
shamblaram

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, one more question...

Until the above advice, I WAS thinking about doing the distance Masters Appl. Ling at either Lancaster, Leicester or Birmingham (I'm from the UK). I like the look of their options and the fact that their distance and on-campus courses were effectively the same. BUT are the on-campus Masters from these Universities tainted by their association with their distance courses, and so also looked down on/rejected in some places in the ME?

(If so, can anyone recommend good/respectable on-campus Masters programs in the UK? The only info I can find online about App.Ling Masters seems to gravitate towards distance Masters.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: