Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PNU status update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivianne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clue is in your quote of uninterrupted bona fide residency for an entire tax year, Jan 1 to Dec 31. This option allows only temporary visits to the US for business or vacation during that calendar year. Bona fide residency is aimed at someone working for a multinational corporation who is transferred to an overseas office for a few years and then the corporation decides to transfer that person back to the states. Read the instructions for Form 2555.

Generally, ESL teachers have a one academic year (not calendar year) contract. Once the contract ends your residency is interrupted and begins anew with the next contract. Teachers also have control/choice over the length of time they are overseas. Thus, they can't qualify for bona fide residency as their overseas employment is not for an uninterrupted, indefinite time and they are going for a defined purpose per their contract, which is why they use the physical presence qualification instead. Per the IRS Form 2555 instructions: "Generally, if you go to a foreign country for a definite, temporary purpose and return to the United States after you accomplish it, you are not a bona fide resident of the foreign country. If accomplishing the purpose requires an extended, indefinite stay, and you make your home in the foreign country, you may be a bona fide resident."
cairanya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a lawyer, so I may be missing something, but if her contract starts the spring term (Jan 1), then wouldn't she be able to qualify as a bona fide resident?

Besides, the website just says that she needs to be one of the following -- not that she needs to have all of the following. So she'd still qualify under the third provision, if not the bona fide resident provision.

Honestly, I'd talk to a tax lawyer. This looks like it may be a penny-wise-pound-foolish situation. And we all know how the IRS always makes the things that are favorable to the taxpayer hard to find...
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an EFL teacher, you won't be paying any US taxes - unless you plan on making more than $95,000 a year.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97130,00.html

For your first year, you may want to read this:

Extension to Claim Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96782,00.html

You need to FILE every year, but you won't be paying any taxes, to either the US or to Saudi.

Heck, that's usually ONE of the reasons we're EFLers

For more info, please use the link below to go to the thread:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=96930&highlight=income+tax

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bona fide overseas resident for all of my years overseas. The first year there is a special form 2350 that allows you to delay filing until you have been out of the US for the year - and it need not be Jan 1 through Dec 31. It doesn't have to be the same country or the same contract... the key is being out of the US.

Outside of Saudi Arabia, EFL contracts are nearly always for 2-3 years. Once one has achieved bona fide status, it doesn't matter how many days each year you spend in the US.

VS
Aikirage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, been trying to piece together a picture of what's going on over there. My friend and I have accepted offers and are supposed to start working December 1st. Anyone else on that schedule?

Anyone there: have there been any improvements in the on-campus facilities? Pool and supermarket open yet?

Does anyone know how many teachers are there now? Is it a friendly teacher's community with hanging out and stuff?
OllyOLLYOL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aikirage wrote:
So, been trying to piece together a picture of what's going on over there. My friend and I have accepted offers and are supposed to start working December 1st. Anyone else on that schedule?

Anyone there: have there been any improvements in the on-campus facilities? Pool and supermarket open yet?

Does anyone know how many teachers are there now? Is it a friendly teacher's community with hanging out and stuff?

Hi Aikrage, I am due to start on the first of Dec aswell, I havent heard anything back since, what agency are you going with?

Thanks
giovanni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this email from my recruiter today:
Quote:

We apologise once again for the delay in the progress of your application. After our last meeting with UniServices, they have advised us of the changes which are outlined in the following paragraphs. Please let us know as soon as possible if you would be happy to continue under the following conditions and if you can supply us with the work experience letters required.

The changes:
Changes in the computing of salaries
PNU now also require 'letters of work experience' which are essentially letters from each employer you have had stating that you worked for their institution and your start and ends dates. This must be on letter head.
In reality this means:
Candidates would potentially start on a base salary (2 years experience) of approx. $38,000 USD and once PNU have received 'Letters of Experience' they will then be able to review the salary, however someone with 2 years' experience would stay on this amount as this is the basic pre requisite.
If candidates have a Masters the salary would increase slightly.
Currently PNU are stating that until they receive the letters of experience a candidate would be listed as '0' work experience and therefore their salary would start at approx. $33,000 USD
Please contact me if you have any questions and let me know as soon as you can whether or not you wish to proceed.

I have a Master's in TESL and over 2 years of experience but this is a salary cut, correct? Seems crazy when it looks like they were already having difficulty filling the positions...
cairanya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giovanni wrote:
Quote:

We apologise once again for the delay in the progress of your application. After our last meeting with UniServices, they have advised us of the changes which are outlined in the following paragraphs. Please let us know as soon as possible if you would be happy to continue under the following conditions and if you can supply us with the work experience letters required.

The changes:
PNU now also require 'letters of work experience' which are essentially letters from each employer you have had stating that you worked for their institution and your start and ends dates. This must be on letter head.
In reality this means:
Candidates would potentially start on a base salary (2 years experience) of approx. $38,000 USD and once PNU have received 'Letters of Experience' they will then be able to review the salary, however someone with 2 years' experience would stay on this amount as this is the basic pre requisite.
Currently PNU are stating that until they receive the letters of experience a candidate would be listed as '0' work experience and therefore their salary would start at approx. $33,000 USD
Please contact me if you have any questions and let me know as soon as you can whether or not you wish to proceed.

I have a Master's in TESL and over 2 years of experience but this is a salary cut, correct? Seems crazy when it looks like they were already having difficulty filling the positions...

Phew! I thought I was the only one who got that!

That's EXACTLY what it is -- to the tune of $10k.

Looks like Uniservices can't change the inherent shadiness at the top of PNU. You know what they call someone who pulls the same stunts over and over again but expects a different outcome...

And since the only reason for single Western women (the type they're really heavily recruiting) to go to Saudi is for the money, I have a feeling a lot of applicants waiting for the visas will go back to the job hunt and switch to Dubai, Oman, or South Korea instead. I know I will -- and I sunk $500 into medical expenses...
giovanni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bailing too cairanya. Too much craziness and sketchiness for too little money. I'll go somewhere more fun (even if that's TEXAS)
Anacita

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's in Carainya?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giovanni wrote:
Quote:

The changes:
In reality this means:

The letters of work experience are typical for the region; many of us have had to provide them. This is nothing new. Applicants for PNU should have been told of this requirement early in the hiring process.

However, what's not typical is that ridiculously low starting salary. Seriously, how low do they dare go...

Their process is like a festering wound, and at this rate, PNU will continue to have difficulty getting enough good teachers on board.
cairanya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
giovanni wrote:
Quote:

The changes:
In reality this means:

The letters of work experience are typical for the region; many of us have had to provide them. This is nothing new. Applicants for PNU should have been told of this requirement early in the hiring process.

However, what's not typical is that ridiculously low starting salary. Seriously, how low do they dare go...

Their process is like a festering wound, and at this rate, PNU will continue to have difficulty getting enough good teachers on board.

I only have experience in China, so the only thing I can think of is that maybe the students who've been sitting in study halls without teachers haven't complained -- so the bosses figure they can pocket the money?
cairanya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacita wrote:
What's in Carainya?

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at.

@ giovanni: Texas is great! Well, Austin is. I never really ventured into REAL Texas. Wink
giovanni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thank you for the validation nomad soul

Anacita: cairanya is the poster I was referring to

cairanya: Austin sounds great! I'm looking at Texas next year because I'm a teacher in Oklahoma and moving to Texas would give me an instant 25% raise with minimal cost of living adjustment.
cairanya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giovanni wrote:
cairanya: Austin sounds great! I'm looking at Texas next year because I'm a teacher in Oklahoma and moving to Texas would give me an instant 25% raise with minimal cost of living adjustment.

A word of warning: for Texas ESL positions, most positions require you to be proficient or fluent in Spanish. (If you're going for traditional English, that's not really relevant.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: