Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiring before I arrive in RIO Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencoid

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Hiring before I arrive in RIO Brazil Reply with quote

Hello!
I was wondering if anybody knew of any English language schools that might be able to hire someone before they arrive in Brazil.
I'm working on a special visa (with IICA) that would allow me to legally work for one year, but in order for that to work I have to apply for it before I am in Brazil and need to have an agreement with a school. Looking for Rio schools mostly, but am open to any mid-size to large cities.
If anybody has any contacts or tips please let me know! I'm currently working as an English Teacher and am TEFL certified.

Thanks!
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would like to know what are the odds of getting hired if you apply from outside of Brazil. Or is it imperative to have a face to face interview?

Dude
ShadowCat17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen anyone get hired from outside Brazil... keep in mind that virtually no school will sponsor you for a work visa, so most teachers either work under the table, or else are already married to a Brazilian so their legal situation is set.

IICA is one of the only programs, to my knowledge, that arranges it all for you and where you can apply from outside Brazil.

Here's someone who has gone (is going?) through IICA and is teaching in Manaus in the north. She hasn't posted in a while, but you can contact her through her blog:

http://sameboatdifferentocean.wordpress.com/category/iica-internship/
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through what you tried and it was exercise in frustration. Lots of interest from schools in Brazil, but as no one seems to read cover letters (surprise, surprise), the ones that all contacted me hadn't realized I was not yet in Brazil. Killed it ASAP every single time. Either no subsequent response (very rude, cross them off the list), or a definitely contact me when you get here reply. So as others have said with more knowledge than myself on ESL in this country, there do seem to be enough opportunities there, but you have to take the leap of faith and move there to get them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: