Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

So, I just have a TEFL certificate and I see a lot of job oppurtunities for it. I am curious to hear stories of people who have experience teaching for schools/companys who hired you with just a TEFL certificate. I understand the pay and benefits and quality of school isn't going to be anything like if you had a bachelors degree and license. But, I'm interested in what it will be like and want to hear your positive and negative experiences for working with just the certificate.

Thanks in advance, this will be really helpful. Cool

EDIT: Also, can you help me out. The qualifications for this job I'm looking at...do you think they mean a degree holder OR just a TEFL certificate holder? Or a degree holder is a must but tefl is prefferred? Thanks. http://www.teachergig.com/7023/hong-kong-sheung-shui-native-english-teacher

Last edited by ShaneInSpace on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
So, I just have a TEFL certificate and I see a lot of job oppurtunities for it.

Really? I'm curious as to where those many job opportunities are. By the way, you should read the recent thread, "Teaching WITHOUT a degree" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99379&sid=e9c491e7fed3521354e524188d5a1695).
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
ShaneInSpace wrote:
So, I just have a TEFL certificate and I see a lot of job oppurtunities for it.

Really? I'm curious as to where those many job opportunities are. By the way, you should read the recent thread, "Teaching WITHOUT a degree" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99379&sid=e9c491e7fed3521354e524188d5a1695).

Thanks. But can you help me out with the question I edited in?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might post that link and your question on the Hong Kong discussion forum; the ad seems rather sketchy.

But I'd still like to know where those job opportunities are for teachers who only have a TEFL cert. Were you told this by the company you got your TEFL cert from?
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
You might post that link and your question on the Hong Kong discussion forum; the ad seems rather sketchy.

But I'd still like to know where those job opportunities are for teachers who only have a TEFL cert. Were you told this by the company you got your TEFL cert from?

Yes. They told me there were so many job oppurtunities for just certificate. They said there were more oppurtunities for someone with just a TEFL certificate than a degree and I shouldn't need a degree. I'm so excited. It only took 4 weeks to get it, too. And it was so cheap. Best decision I ever made. A bachelors degree takes *4* years! Plus, about 20,000 dollars per year. It was only 400 dollars for me!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

400 dollars...I'm guessing yours was an online course??
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Shane,

It's called "marketing," at least that's the polite term. I, myself, might use another term that would be more descriptive, but not quite so polite. It is not entirely clear to me whether you're actually serious, or playing a little joke.

spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin, surely you're not implying that a person who's shelled out 400 bucks for an online cert hasn't got the whole world as his/her oyster??
C'mon....the above-average-local-salary, the live-in maid, the awed and respectful students vying for just a half-minute of time with Teacher??? Rolling Eyes

By the way, shane, now that we know more about your quals, we can more accurately answer your earlier question:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1060380&highlight=#1060380

Terribly sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's unfortunately unlikely that you're going to find a potential employer who's going to pay to fly you to an interview. Not even economy class. Not sure what your course provider may have said on this point..... Very Happy Smile

Last edited by spiral78 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
Yes. They told me there were so many job oppurtunities for just certificate. They said there were more oppurtunities for someone with just a TEFL certificate than a degree and I shouldn't need a degree. I'm so excited. It only took 4 weeks to get it, too. And it was so cheap. Best decision I ever made. A bachelors degree takes *4* years! Plus, about 20,000 dollars per year. It was only 400 dollars for me!

I'd say you overpaid for that TEFL cert by $399.99 and that the TEFL course provider is also saying it was the best decision you ever made. I assume they don't offer uh... job placement services? Anyway, scratch Hong Kong off your list; a degree is needed to legally work there. In fact, you'll be doing a lot more scratching off...
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

Yes. They told me there were so many job oppurtunities for just certificate.
Did they also describe the third-world working conditions that most put you in? Did they offer a free case of Kleenex to go with that certificate? My last remark simply means they sound like they are interested in taking your money for the cert than in producing a teacher or helping.

Quote:
They said there were more oppurtunities for someone
What evidence of this did they show? Numbers, please.

Quote:
I'm so excited. It only took 4 weeks to get it, too. And it was so cheap.
This doesn't generate warning lights and klaxons? Many a pyramid scheme has the exact same words.

Listen, are you serious about teaching? If so, read nothing else except the following words, and heed them:

Get the proper education and training before you go.

If you can't afford it, earn the money to do so, or take out loans like so many do. It's called life.

Don't want to use 3-4 years of your life studying? Think how your students will feel, and if you don't care about that, then my question is this: what is your rush to get into teaching? (Or is it merely the desire to get a quickie ride to some foreign land where you can sightsee instead of work like a serious teacher?)
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It begs the question:

Why would someone who does not value education enough to get one want to become an educator?

An uneducated educator - would that be an oxymoron?

Concepcion780

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love saving money as much as the nest person, but I would recommend getting a degree, even if means taking out loans.

It opens up new possibilities for you both in TEFL and in most other fields.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Ariadne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you folks think that maybe, just maybe, the spaceman is pulling our legs?

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:
Don't you folks think that maybe, just maybe, the spaceman is pulling our legs?

Very Happy Yes, so I suspected. My best guess is that you're right, Ariadne. $400 vs. $80,000--really? What a bargain! Four weeks vs. four years? Too good to be true! (As, of course, it is.) I suspect that the OP fully realizes that the TEFL cert is meant to be in addition to, not in place of, the degree.

Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate? Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:

EDIT: Also, can you help me out. The qualifications for this job I'm looking at...do you think they mean a degree holder OR just a TEFL certificate holder? Or a degree holder is a must but tefl is prefferred? Thanks. [link removed per policy]

It's possible that you're in earnest, and if that's the case, I should note that when they say:
Tiny Talents Professional English Learning Centre wrote:
University graduate or TEFL or TESOL preferred

It's almost certainly an error. I've noticed Turks often get "and" and "or" confused at lower levels, and it's likely that what they mean to say is "University graduate, TEFL or TESOL preferred."

In Asia at least you generally need a degree, while a(n onsite) TESOL cert is merely expected.

Of course, you're welcome to ask them.

Regards,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: