Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Language Reply with quote

Hi!
For anyone living in Prague, would I be able to survive not knowing Czech is I speak Russian and German??

Thanks!!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in Prague, but...

According to this survey from 2005-2006, you happen to speak the three most-spoken foreign languages in the CR, with 28% of Czechs speaking German, 24% speaking English, and 20% speaking Russian. Especially as I'd imagine Russian speakers are mostly older Czechs and English speakers mostly younger ones (as is the situation in Georgia), I imagine you should be fine.

Though it's still probably worth learning basic politeness phrases and numbers; I'd say those are worth learning no matter where you go.

~Q
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who have lived in Prague for a decade and who speak only English. German is not much welcomed, and you can speak Russian with the many Russians around, but in Prague English will suffice for almost all daily business. You'll want a translator for legal documents, obviously.

and Qaaolchoura's correct that it's always best to learn at least polite basics, of course. That should be relatively easy for someone who already speaks Russian.

Qaaolchoura, a lot more than 24% of Praguers speak English, though your stats could be correct for the entire country!

Last edited by spiral78 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Rachcat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much spiral78 and Qaaolchoura for your feedback, it's much appreciated!!!

Peace!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: