Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching around the world with just a TEFL certificate?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kidding, guys. I did not get a 400 dollar tefl cert. and think that my career was going to be awesome. I'm not trolling or anything, I'm simply doing an experiment. You see, that goofy post I made saying "how excited I was" was actually me a few years ago. I thought it was going to be really easy to travel the world. All I needed was a cheap, quick certificate and countires would be begging for me.

I know how wrong I was. I'm out of high school now and I don't know where to start. High school was 4 years and that felt...really long. So, my head hurts just thinking about that I have 4 MORE years of even more difficult curricular to get a bachelors degree, then I have to get a TEFL certificate + a teaching license if I want. It just seems so far away before I will be able to pursue this career.

To those who have all this qualification already...let me hear your words of wisdom. Was getting the bachelors degree feel long or miserable or did it go by fast? I know its going to be worth it. Its just thinking about 4-5 more years of hard work before I get to teach just...turns me off, it makes me not want to get the degree even though I am dying for this job.

So, let me hear any optimistic things about getting the qualifications. I need some positive inspiration.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reputable school anywhere is going to hire someone just out of high school. That's all the inspiration anyone in (what is supposedly) your position really needs; the impossibility of getting an actual reputable job in the field as an 18/19/20 year old high school grad.

Still sounds like a lame joke, to be honest.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
Was getting the bachelors degree feel long or miserable or did it go by fast? I know its going to be worth it. Its just thinking about 4-5 more years of hard work before I get to teach just...turns me off, it makes me not want to get the degree even though I am dying for this job.

As I always say, four years will come and go anyway, so you may as well make the most of it. If you're "dying" to get into TEFL, then let that be your motivation. You just need to figure out where your passion or interests really lie and then find a bachelors program that fits. Frankly, you may eventually realize that teaching ESOL wasn't for you after all.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:

To those who have all this qualification already...let me hear your words of wisdom. Was getting the bachelors degree feel long or miserable or did it go by fast? I know its going to be worth it. Its just thinking about 4-5 more years of hard work before I get to teach just...turns me off, it makes me not want to get the degree even though I am dying for this job.

Why do you want to be a teacher?

I have a related TESL degree and TESL certificate (total cost probably $40k including the certificate which took a year of full-time university coursework). All of my fellow classmates were passionate about education (many of them public school teachers upgrading their credentials). As a group, we generally never viewed 4-5 years of education in that manner (letting it "turn me off" of the teaching profession). It seems really strange (to me, at least) that you want to be a teacher yet you don't seem to want to put in the effort for the bare minimum qualifications (a CELTA or other TEFL is not the bare minimum in the industry, it is the degree plus the certificate).

Why not volunteer with a local ESL class first and see what you think? Many are open to accepting volunteers, especially those interested in TEFL. Before you get carried away with what you think TEFL is, you should volunteer and see what it actually is. It's a lot of hard work, a lot of preparation, and unfortunately nowhere near as fun and lively as non-teachers think. We work, go home, do lesson preps, and then do it again. It's not really different than any other job except that daily life outside the classroom can actually be quite difficult if you are not fluent in the other language.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn't be experimenting with posts like that. It doesn't show any respect to the rest of us. Bad form.

Please answer some of the questions we've posed to you, so that we know just how much longer we should stay on this thread.
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, "experimenting" is a stupid word. I should have explained that better. I apologize for this entire thread. But I appreciate the help a lot.

Anyways, just one more question, sorry.

So, this is kind of a two parter.

1. When companies are asking for university degree, does that mean I can still get a degree from a community college or must I go to a university? (I ask this because foreigners sometimes don't know the difference between the two OR they if they do...then thats why I am asking this.)

2. If the company does not state that a bachelors degree is needed, for example, if they ask for a university degree, does that mean if I have an associates degree then that would be acceptable?

2.5 In countries like China, or somewhere like Hong Kong where a degree is necessary for legal reasons...is an associates degree acceptable for legal reasons or must it be a bachelors degree.

Thank you so much, I promise I will stop asking questions. Its just, I don't understand a lot because I'm new and I need to be informed. Thank you so so so much, again.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University degree generally means a BA, unless otherwise specified. The degree could be from a community college that offers BA programs or from a university. Frankly, nowadays, a BA is considered equal to a high school diploma, so you may want to think twice if you're looking at getting an associates degree for whatever field you go into.

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
Sorry, "experimenting" is a stupid word. I should have explained that better. I apologize for this entire thread. But I appreciate the help a lot.

Anyways, just one more question, sorry.

So, this is kind of a two parter.

1. When companies are asking for university degree, does that mean I can still get a degree from a community college or must I go to a university? (I ask this because foreigners sometimes don't know the difference between the two OR they if they do...then thats why I am asking this.)

2. If the company does not state that a bachelors degree is needed, for example, if they ask for a university degree, does that mean if I have an associates degree then that would be acceptable?

2.5 In countries like China, or somewhere like Hong Kong where a degree is necessary for legal reasons...is an associates degree acceptable for legal reasons or must it be a bachelors degree.

Thank you so much, I promise I will stop asking questions. Its just, I don't understand a lot because I'm new and I need to be informed. Thank you so so so much, again.

1. A degree from a community college is acceptable as long as it is a bachelor's.

2. No.

3. No. "Degree" means BA, BS, or BEd: a bachelor's degree. The only time "degree" includes a two-year degree is when it specifically states so. There are a very few instances where an associate's degree does fulfill the requirement--see upthread.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not upthread as it turns out. It's the other thread on this same topic that I was thinking about.

ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, xie lin.

As for nomad...wait..what?

What do you mean a bachelors degree is the considered the same as a high school diploma? Is this considered in other countries or...?

Also, what does that mean to me? I have a high school diploma so that means I will be able to teach english in China now?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace:

Some education experts argue that a bachelor's degree doesn't hold the same value that it did a generation or so ago; it's now what a high school diploma used to be. In other words, a BA degree has become commonplace and therefore, more employers are expecting applicants to have one. Decades ago, you could get a decent job as a high-school drop out. Then employers started requiring you to have either a high school or equivalency diploma. Now it's a BA, even if that degree isn't really necessary for the position. (This isn't the case for all bachelor's degrees.) The TEFL industry is no different; increasingly more employers are requiring teachers hold at least a BA, and in some countries, you can't legally work unless you have a degree (which is what we've been saying ad nauseum within these forums). Welcome to the real world.
Concepcion780

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually you'll want to get a BA/BS, but maybe you should start at community college and get an associates first. I had a wonderful experience going to a community college (and did eventually go on to get a 4 year degree). It will give you a chance to get a feel for college and what your academic interests are without getting buried in debt. College is not like high school at all. You choose what you'll study, and classes are usually (especially at a community college that doesn't have massive lecture courses) engaging and intellectually stimulating. Having some positive experiences with formal education as a student will really help your ability to be a good teacher.
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad.

I get that you need a degree if you want a real job in the states. I didn't know a hs diploma was so valuable back in the day. Thank you for that history trivia. Learn something new everyday. Tell me if I'm wrong, nomad, but I sense a bit of an attitude against me in your posts. You always seem angry or displeased with me. You used to be my age too, you didn't have a clue about esl either, so you don't need to be so distasteful with me. I'm just innocently asking questions to further my career abroad, while others my age are playing Xbox and working at burger king.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
Sorry, "experimenting" is a stupid word. I should have explained that better.
Ok, I'd like to know how you explain it now.

1. When companies are asking for university degree, does that mean I can still get a degree from a community college or must I go to a university?
In Japan it means a bachelor's degree.

No. Besides, the degree requirement that the employer wants is one thing, and the greater thing is what immigration wants to issue you your visa. That means employers can ask for whatever they want, but usually you will see that immigration wants a bachelor's degree.
kpjf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShaneInSpace wrote:
Nomad.

I get that you need a degree if you want a real job in the states. I didn't know a hs diploma was so valuable back in the day. Thank you for that history trivia. Learn something new everyday. Tell me if I'm wrong, nomad, but I sense a bit of an attitude against me in your posts. You always seem angry or displeased with me. You used to be my age too, you didn't have a clue about esl either, so you don't need to be so distasteful with me. I'm just innocently asking questions to further my career abroad, while others my age are playing Xbox and working at burger king.

For what it's worth i'd say Nomad soul has been extremely helpful and you should be grateful for his advice.

How old are you by the way?

santi84 wrote:

Why do you want to be a teacher?

Well...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: