Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

typical starting salaries in Taiwan by position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atreyue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At least you didn't dispute private lesson rates, so hopefully you aren't being taken to the cleaners like creztor.

The $1000 - $1200/hour I'm getting in Taipei is quite typical.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also disputing the private rate because that's not what the majority of the market pays. Can you get $1k+ an hour? Of course, but can everyone get that and is that what all privates are willing to pay? Definitely no. Can everyone be CEO of a company and earn millions per year? It would be nice if we could.

I mentioned this above and what most people neglect to state are the kind of hours, work and travel required to get such high rates. Many people are only doing a few hours a week at that rate, so they can't live entirely off of it. Also, they may be required to do a lot of preparation work which brings down the hourly rate. You also often find that these high paying gigs are short-term. Finally, some people neglect to mention the amount of travelling they do just for that one or two hours.

Again, I said this in a post above and what people are forgetting is the DETAILS. The point of this OP was for "starting" and "average" salaries. The cram school rates are fine, but good luck with the university and private rate. Of course it is doable, but I am talking about "averages" here, which was the entire point of the thread.
atreyue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 - 1200 is the average I have experienced AND witnessed over the past 2 years ( I've been here 9 ). Knowing that every cram, bushiban, language center is getting far higher than that. If you're whoring yourself out for 600-800/hr that's your business.

FYI, I'm not teaching CEO's in re: last post but salesman, secretaries and even a husband / wife team. This is the rate in Taipei.

But, like all things - pay cheap, get cheap.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atreyue wrote:
The $1000 - $1200/hour I'm getting in Taipei is quite typical.

It most definitely isn't. It can be earnt, but you make it sound like it's the norm. What are you teaching anyway? It must be something highly specialized otherwise you wouldn't be getting it. Taiwanese are careful how they spend their money and most would think those prices absurd for an English lesson. And anyway there are a million crappy buxibans where they can top up their English for a reasonable sum.
atreyue

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, again - if you believe yourself worth 6-800/hr. that is your business and I have nothing to offer. However, if you tell a student $1000/hr than I will say that I have never gotten refused at that rate.

Specialized English? Kidding me? I don't even prep the lesson - get it from breakingnewsenglish.com. It's strictly conversation, business and an occasional TOEFL twink.

If you're in Taipei, ask your next NEW private student for $1000/hr - I assure you, you'll get it.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atreyue wrote:

If you're in Taipei, ask your next NEW private student for $1000/hr - I assure you, you'll get it.

I would just modify this to include "as long as you are a legitimate teacher in terms of abilities".

Even in other big cities $1000/hr is easy, but if they are able and willing to come to a location very near me I am willing to go as low as $800. Below that and I assume the student is not serious.
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher4life wrote:
I would just modify this to include "as long as you are a legitimate teacher in terms of abilities".

And what is your definition of "legitimate" and "abilities"? You speak in very general and vague terms. You still haven't provided the slightest bit of evidence to back up your claims.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you are just trying to be combative. Boo-hoo.

The best jobs are never advertised on sites like this or tealit.
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher4life wrote:
Some of you are just trying to be combative. Boo-hoo.

The best jobs are never advertised on sites like this or tealit.

Not combative, but interested in "reality" and the facts. You continue to post here, along with your alter ego, Atreyue, much misinformation. Please, I beg you, guide me to the best ESL sites where I can find private gigs for $NT1.200 per hour or NT$70K+ a month in Taiwan. Now that really would be a find, wouldn't it?
atreyue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much misinformation? The only one who seems to be misinformed is in fact, you. There is a plethora of $70k a month jobs and $1000/hr privates. Did you really need us to hold your little hand and guide you around or do you want to put on your big girl panties and do it yourself?

BTW, love that post about EF ranking on English abilities you posted. Really - EF as a reliable source? Wow - you are deluded.
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atreyue wrote:
BTW, love that post about EF ranking on English abilities you posted. Really - EF as a reliable source? Wow - you are deluded.

Yeah, sorry about that. Will the Taipei Times do?

Taiwan came in next to last among 14 Asian countries in an international English language test last year, British Council statistics showed yesterday.
Taiwanese examinees scored an average of 5.66 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) nine-band scale, falling between the scores for modest users and competent users of English.
Taiwan was only able to edge out China by a small margin, with China scoring an average of 5.46.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/09/11/2003453288

Seems that the poor old Taiwanese are being scammed by these apparent hot shot teachers that remain in Taiwan working for $NT1200 per hour. The teachers are taking the money alright but are definitely unable to get results. 5.66 is below 'competency' on the IELTS scale. My guess is that you're spreading a lot of misinformation and the truth is that all the best teachers left years ago in search of greener pastures leaving the dregs behind to help guide the Taiwanese to a measly 5.66. But hey let's not
mock this result. It was higher than Nepal's.
atreyue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - the Taipei Times? That's about half a step below the National Enquirer. Listen, Romany, since you're so thoughtful in pointing out the shortfalls and deficiencies in the Taiwanese learning curve did you ever consider, that you're part of the problem?

Or, are you not in Taiwan hero?
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atreyue wrote:
LOL - the Taipei Times? That's about half a step below the National Enquirer. Listen, Romany, since you're so thoughtful in pointing out the shortfalls and deficiencies in the Taiwanese learning curve did you ever consider, that you're part of the problem?

Yes, but the source was the official IELTS website. Sorry, I can't do any better than that, except point you to the official TOEFL website where you'll find the same dismal results for Taiwan.

Taiwan hero? There's an oxymoron if ever there was one. It reminds me of that old chestnut, Taiwanese culture.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atreyue wrote:

I figure romanworld is here, working in some horrific place because he got fired by hess and couldn't catch on at kids castle.
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher4life wrote:
I figure romanworld is here, working in some horrific place because he got fired by hess and couldn't catch on at kids castle.

Hopefully the administrator will automatically delete this spam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: