Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxford Centar in Montenegro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
euro2010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Oxford Centar in Montenegro Reply with quote

I noticed a previous topic on this school but no idea what it was about as it had been locked and heavily edited. Not trying to stir up trouble but I would like to recommend this school if possible.

Oxford Centar has many branches throughout Montenegro and is part of the EAQUALS group (or at least the centre in Podgorica is).

I worked for Oxford Centar at one of their coastal locations for about 4 months and can definitely recommend the school. They pay very well (about 900 euros p/m) and are professionally run. I worked in the country during Autumn and early Winter which isn't the best time of year unfortunately. Everything shuts down, it rains A LOT and there isn't so much to do. But you can at least save your cash! Never had any major problems with the management and since then they've given me good references and kept in touch.

From talking to a few other expats out there it seems that this school is pretty much the only one to consider in Montenegro.
technohater

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: oxford centar Reply with quote

Hi euro 2010,

Was considering applying for this job as they are advertising at the minute. Did they only offer you 4 months or did you decide to move on?

Any other info about the school, classes etc about here would be great. Thanks.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know why it's spelled "centar." (Even after seeing you use it three times, I still had to google it.) Is it a bilingual pun or something?

Also, I found what I think is the ad technohater is referring to, and it only offers 750 euro/month.

~Q
euro2010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine "centar" equates to the spelling in Serbian and Montenegrin languages. The salary I was originallt quoted was �900 per month including and accommodation allowance. It is possible that this has decreased, as in many parts of Europe screwed by the IMF, ECB, World Bank or USA. And yeah, if you're American don't even bother looking for work in Serbia or Montenegro because they don't want you - they prefer peaceful people whose governments don't want to kill their children and conscripted young adults!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euro2010 wrote:
And yeah, if you're American don't even bother looking for work in Serbia or Montenegro because they don't want you - they prefer peaceful people whose governments don't want to kill their children and conscripted young adults!

What a delightful, relevant, balanced, and completely reasonable turn of the conversation. I wonder if this bears any resemblance to the truth, and if so (I rather doubt it, but Serbia's on my to-visit list so I'll get a chance to find out myself someday) why they wouldn't have a bias against Britain and Canada too. Or are you suggesting only Irish need apply?

~Q
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serbian spelling. Incidentally there is no "Montenegrin" language. In Montenegro they speak Serbian.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montenegrin is constitutionally the official language of Montenegro.

Trying to suggest that it's Serbian is quite offensive, particularly as Montenegrin has additional letters that the Serbian alphabet doesn't have.

In practice, people might use the term "our language" or "mother tongue" instead of Montenegrin - but it doesn't change the fact that nearly 40% of people in Montenegro declare themselves to be speakers of Montenegrin.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_language

AND

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shtokavian_dialect

You might as well talk about the "Canadian Language" and "the Australian Language"

Horsenuts.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might as well talk about the "Canadian Language" and "the Australian Language"

Horsenuts

Actually, we occasionally do refer to 'Canadian' or 'Australian' as language categories. One context I can think of is for university prep courses taught in non-Anglophone countries, which are preparing students to go to the aforenamed countries for study....but that's only for total language geeks and a few EFL/ESL teacher types!
nickelgoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by nickelgoat on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
cartago

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about the school docking pay for minor infractions, did they stop doing this?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that we cannot agree on the names used for the languages spoken in former Yugoslavia. Let's go for "Shtokavian" as the dominant from of Southern Slavonic

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shtokavian-dialect/143424365673562?rf=116575548390192
eddieshack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Centar still docks pay...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: