Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the jobs in Canada?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtomstone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Where are the jobs in Canada? Reply with quote

I have a BEd and a teaching certificate from Canada. I graduated a couple years ago, and went to Korea to teach ESL for a couple years. I'm in Korea teaching at a public school now.

When I left Ontario, there were very few jobs (almost no jobs in my hometown). Where are the jobs in Canada? I'm willing to go almost anywhere to get a couple years experience under my belt.
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. What age group do you want to teach? What are your salary expectations? Do you know anyone working in a school now who can help you get in? Are you willing to sub, work short-term contracts, and/or be in a seasonal position?
jtomstone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My certificate is for teaching elementary students. I expect an average salary for a first year teacher. I don't know many people currently working in the school system, but I have a couple relatives who are retired teachers and there is alumni from my university.

I would be willing to work as a sub or other short-term work for a couple years, but if I have to slave away as a sub for years on end I'm not willing to do that.

Though a full-time job in a major city in Canada is preferable, I know it is unrealistic to get a job in a big city.

I'm wondering if there is any full-time work in rural places or up north where not too many people are willing to go.
Jessiemiles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to go anywhere, try Nunavut

http://www.educationcanada.com/browse.phtml?a=mrp_location&sid=49

http://www.gov.nu.ca/hr/site/jobs/index.shtml

or the Territories

http://www.newteachersnwt.ca/PDF/ECE_Teaching%20in%20the%20NWT.pdf

http://www.educationcanada.com/browse.phtml?sid=nt

Good luck Smile
jtomstone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering it. I think I'll feel more culture shock there than I ever did in Korea though. Still, if I stick it out for a couple years I'll look a lot better as a candidate for other jobs.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at working on a remote First Nations reserve, as well. Due to the isolation bonus, apparently the pay is good. Due to that same isolation, apparently nothing else is.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you speak simple French?

If so, come to Quebec.
jtomstone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak a little French, not fluently though. Funny that you say that though, I'm learning French right now.

Is there good chance of finding a job if you're bilingual?
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtomstone wrote:
I can speak a little French, not fluently though. Funny that you say that though, I'm learning French right now.

Quebec (the province - not really Montreal) is starved of qualified (BEd) elementary and secondary teachers who can teach English. There is some stuff in the works that may lead to all francophone schools having bilingual semesters. Even if that doesn't pan out, the province desperately needs qualified teachers.

Think of Montreal and Quebec (the province) as separate places - if you are interested in teaching in Quebec, you will almost certainly be able to land a provincial teaching gig (along with the decent salary, benefits, and hours).

I live one hour south of Montreal but not currently working (just had another baby). If you look up the licensing transfer information, you should be able to get more information. If interested, you may also be able to get work in the English school board(s) teaching a non-ESL subject.
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtomstone wrote:

Quebec (the province - not really Montreal) is starved of qualified (BEd) elementary and secondary teachers who can teach English. There is some stuff in the works that may lead to all francophone schools having bilingual semesters. Even if that doesn't pan out, the province desperately needs qualified teachers.

Think of Montreal and Quebec (the province) as separate places - if you are interested in teaching in Quebec, you will almost certainly be able to land a provincial teaching gig (along with the decent salary, benefits, and hours).

I live one hour south of Montreal but not currently working (just had another baby). If you look up the licensing transfer information, you should be able to get more information. If interested, you may also be able to get work in the English school board(s) teaching a non-ESL subject.
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to learn French, then you should really consider coming here! Minimal French might be just fine for the ESL positions. Immersion will help you along quickly.
jtomstone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information santi. I'll look into transferring my license from Ontario. Do you know any good websites that advertise jobs in Quebec? I've taken a look at educationcanada.com. I also found a list of K-12 schools in Quebec. I think it's a good idea to call some schools directly and get a feel for the job market.

I have never traveled around Quebec. I've heard Quebec feels like a different country from the rest of Canada, which is something I would be excited about. Living in Quebec would really speed up my French ability.
piglet44

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak fluent French,am an experienced and qualified teacher but have British accent. Can I work in Canada?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, piglet, if you have Canadian citizenship.

If you come by your British accent due to UK (or Australian or New Zealand or other) birth and citizenship, VERY unlikely anyone will sponsor a visa for you, there being a reasonable number of Canadians around to fill the jobs. Vice versa goes for Canadians wishing to teach in the UK, you see.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtomstone wrote:
Thanks for the information santi. I'll look into transferring my license from Ontario. Do you know any good websites that advertise jobs in Quebec? I've taken a look at educationcanada.com. I also found a list of K-12 schools in Quebec. I think it's a good idea to call some schools directly and get a feel for the job market.

I have never traveled around Quebec. I've heard Quebec feels like a different country from the rest of Canada, which is something I would be excited about. Living in Quebec would really speed up my French ability.

You're welcome! Smile You can apply directly to school districts. Here is my local one, to give you an example:
http://www.csdhr.qc.ca/public/1960e5c2-5d45-4d31-9b0b-503c4f8d4cb4/services/ressources_humaines/mes_documents/2012-04_enseignants.pdf
(As you can see, English for elementary/secondary is in demand)

I'm from Vancouver - it's very different out here! It IS like a different country, and they will remind you that it is a "distinct society" Wink You will not see the Canadian flag anywhere outside of a federal building. Once you get outside of Montreal, you will find that English is rarely spoken and your French will improve quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: