Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DynCorp in Qassim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genericusername

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: DynCorp in Qassim Reply with quote

Any thoughts? The pay and hours are excellent. All sounds wonderful. Can I get some independent confirmation on the quality of this assignment?
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Qassim, but I've heard it's tough-ultraconservative. Maybe I'm wrong. Anybody been there?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if DYNCORP is a reincarnation of DYNARABIA.

"Stay away" is my advice.
fledex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Saudi about this time last year, one teacher at my school was struggling to get his iqama changed so he could go work for dyncorp in qassim. The pay sounded pretty good.

I spent one academic year in Qassim at Qassim University. It ranks as one of the worst year's of my life. Main reason for this is that Qassim is an absolute hole: dusty, desolate, unfriendly, and just plain weirdly conservative. Edex left us in a good hotel on the outskirts of Buraidah. So that may have also contributed to the desolation. If Dyncorp has a compound for you that is well equipped, it could be OK. My guess, though, is that you will be pretty far out of town, near one of military outposts.

So, I guess the final question is whether the good pay is worth it? I found that for slightly better pay Afghanistan was better. That should tell you something.
genericusername

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing of Dynarbia, but DynCorp is a very large U.S. based contractor that mostly does contracts with Defense and State.

I've been told the compound is on an AF base co-located with the airport.

Family is allowed, and sponsored with visas and insurance but no airfare is provided for them.

The pay is double what another place has offered me, and I've seen bad thing written about the other company.

One thing I'm always concerned with is getting paid on time. I worked for a school in Turkey that was sometimes 3 weeks late and they got offended if you complained about it. I know a large American contractor has a set payday.

I know people who worked on other DynCorp projects who said it was a good company overall, but that does not always promise that a given location will be good.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qassim is difficult unless you are a Salafist.
fledex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genericusername wrote:
I know nothing of Dynarbia, but DynCorp is a very large U.S. based contractor that mostly does contracts with Defense and State.

I've been told the compound is on an AF base co-located with the airport.

Family is allowed, and sponsored with visas and insurance but no airfare is provided for them.

The pay is double what another place has offered me, and I've seen bad thing written about the other company.

One thing I'm always concerned with is getting paid on time. I worked for a school in Turkey that was sometimes 3 weeks late and they got offended if you complained about it. I know a large American contractor has a set payday.

I know people who worked on other DynCorp projects who said it was a good company overall, but that does not always promise that a given location will be good.

It should be OK then. The money probably makes it worthwhile, and you'll have a better experience than me since you're working for a legitimate contractor. You'll be separated enough from Buraidah to just go into town for a little adventure from time to time. Hopefully the base will have enough activities to keep you busy and separated from the weirdness in Qassim. Probably, you should jump on the offer.
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"just go into town for a little adventure from time to time."

God I hope you're not suggesting that he take his wife and kids into a town like that. Al-Khobar was bad enough. I can't imagine a place like Qassim for the family.
fledex

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterParvo wrote:
"just go into town for a little adventure from time to time."

God I hope you're not suggesting that he take his wife and kids into a town like that. Al-Khobar was bad enough. I can't imagine a place like Qassim for the family.

Would be an adventure for the family, but I doubt a non-Muslim wife would want to go into town in Qassim after doing it a couple times.
jaffa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Buraidah is one WEE-ERD outpost of serious desolation.
fledex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the job, keep us informed of how you like the job and the place. I'm curious to find out if the compound and job are good.
genericusername

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The compound is just a small trailer park on the base. I've seen it on Google maps. It looks very nice with pool, basketball and tennis courts. I assume it also has a gym.

I get a good vibe from my experience so far. It's taking time to get the offer and visa process done, but it is the holiday season, and large corporations combined with GCC governments mean delays in getting any decision made.
rollingk

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Anyone have an update on Dyncorp Qassim Reply with quote

I was hired back in January by Dyncorp, but haven't made it to Saudi yet. Amazing, crazy uncoordinated crap with the recruitment and visa good folk. Has anyone actually made it there . . . say .. . within the last 6 months?
rdobbs98

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say if you hadn't gotten there by now you won't be going. The Saudi visa process is a pain but won't be more than 4 months at the most, what I went through and mostly due to laziness on the Saudi Cultural Mission. Ramadan is coming up so nothing will get done during Ramadan for the Saudis, so I would say better to look somewhere else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: