Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lowlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cover your costs in Cambodia on $1,500 to $1,800, and even save a little if you don't go bonkers every night, but to suggest that you can "live in luxury" on that amount is taking things a bit too far.

ACE are currently asking for a 6 month commitment in their adverts due to the high turnover of teachers. Too many were completing their initial 3 months then running for the border.

In actual fact, the last DoS there only stayed for a few months before making her own hasty exit.

ACE has a very particular type of in-house culture that may be suitable to some, but is most definitely a turn-off for many others.

As I've said repeatedly, give it a go if you happen to be in Cambodia, but don't relocate halfway round the world for a gig there.
Filmstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the last DoS stayed a year. Compared to the way most Cambodians live - whole families in tiny cramped dirty rooms - yes we live in luxury. Compared to The King of Pop, I guess not. It's all relative.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that she stayed for a good bit less than a year, but even if she managed a full 12 months before fleeing the scene, it's not much of an advert for ACE.

As for the rest of your argument, stating that ACE's salary allows one to "live in luxury" and then equating luxury with not having to live with my whole family in a tiny, cramped, dirty room isn't really much of an advert for ACE either.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lowlander wrote:
I'm pretty sure that she stayed for a good bit less than a year, but even if she managed a full 12 months before fleeing the scene (snip).

I'm pretty sure she stayed considerably less than a year too, as I recall seeing the position re-advertised three or four months after the first one appeared.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three to four months was my understanding too.
Filmstar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Last edited by Filmstar on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
the lowlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....you'll have a nice time if you like horrendous split shifts, five hour classes (unbelievable, but true) six day weeks, marking exams for free, but having your company imposed 15 min breaks deducted from your salary, and much, much more.

Great!

As for having to keep your head down. I agree. Don't upset the old guard.

And I'm not behind. I think if you do your homework you'll find that the last DoS at Samdech Pan Campus lasted well short of twelve months, and that this had as much to do with the situation on the ground as much as anything else.
Filmstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no 5 hour classes at ACE. 2.5 hours with a 15 min break.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since ACE is part of the huge Australian IDP Education there is a hierarchy way above the lowly teacher.

If that's their attitude, it's no wonder they have difficulty keeping teaching staff.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true Filmstar, there is a 5 hour class on a Saturday.

As if a weekday 2.5 hour class (with the 15 min break deducted from your salary) wasn't bad enough!
Filmstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The class on Saturday is 4.5 hours, split into two sessions. There is a 2 hour lunch break in between the two sessions. So actually it's 2 x 2.5 hour classes with a 2 hour break in between.

You don't HAVE to teach these classes. They do need Saturday teachers, so you will be looked upon favorably if you do them. Some people don't mind teaching Saturdays as it's extra lessons, adding an extra $350 to the monthly pay check. Some never teach Saturdays because they like their weekends.

AS for the 15 mins being deducted, no one who works there really cares as ACE pay way above any other school in town at $20 per hour. Plus, there's free tea and coffee. Just drink $5 worth

Laughing
the lowlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Filmstar,

If you take the time to consult ACE's online timetable

http://www.cambodia.idp.com/ace/english_programs/enrolment.aspx

you will see that there is indeed a 5 hour class on a Saturday.

Classes also start at 06.00 and run until 20.00 on weekdays, making it possible to find yourself starting before sunrise and finishing after sunset. A common occurrence.

Teachers have NO choice regarding their timetable. They can indicate a preference, but have to accept what they're given. And that includes the six day (Saturday included) timetable.

You are talking about non-compulsory Saturday overtime for those fortunate enough to be allocated the five day timetable, which is a totally different issue.

You state that no-one who works there really cares about having the 15 min breaks deducted from their salary. Not true. People are working there for money, not for tea and coffee. I have to say, I think it's very flippant and Marie Antoinette-like to suggest that teachers should make up the shortfall in their wages by drinking the free beverages.

The very fact that IDP/ACE want to slither out of paying for the teacher's company imposed breaks tells you all you need to know about them. And we're not talking about small change here. We're talking about $60 plus per month in deductions (depending on your timetable) which is a significant sum of money when your salary is already very low in world terms. And world terms are something you will eventually need to consider, unless you plan on staying in Cambodia forever.

While we're at it, the IDP/ACE salary isn't necessarily $20 per hour. It depends what you're teaching. There are other IDP/ACE salaries lower than that, and all salaries are subject to tax. So even if you are lucky enough to get the $20 per hour, it works out somewhat less than that when you eventually get paid.

This means that the IDP/ACE salary is not so far above what you could get at other schools, as you suggest. In fact there are other places which may be on a par with IDP/ACE in terms of salary.

Just as a matter of interest, are you currently working for IDP/ACE in a management position?
Filmstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the lowest level salary rate for ex-pat teachers for 2013 is $20 per hour.

Tax is about 8%.

Medical care is half paid by the school. Opting in is optional.

Re. hours, I don't know any one who has started at 6am and been made to work the evening shift finishing at 8pm.

Starting at sunrise and finishing at sunset is noway a common occurrence. I would say that was very, very rare. I've never heard of it unless a teacher has been called in to cover a sick teacher, in which case they have a choice to accept or decline.

If you start at 6am you work no later than 3pm.

If you start in the afternoon you may finish at 7.30 or 8 pm.

It's unfortunate you had a bad experience.

It's one of the better schools I've worked at (and I've worked at some horrors).

I would recommend ACE to anyone looking to work in Cambodia or looking for a cross-cultural experience in Asia.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tax is about 8%"

The relevant income tax rate for IDP/ACE teachers is 10% to 15% depending on gross salary.

http://www.retirecambodia.com/income-tax/

"I've heard that the lowest level salary rate for ex-pat teachers for 2013 is $20 per hour"

If IDP/ACE really are putting the lowest salary up to $20 (gross) per hour, then I'd like to see them clearly state that fact in their next recruitment advertisment.

"Medical care is half paid by the school. Opting in is optional."

Meaning, if you don't fork out a load of dough yourself, then you're not covered.

"Re. hours, I don't know any one who has started at 6am and been made to work the evening shift finishing at 8pm.

Starting at sunrise and finishing at sunset is noway a common occurrence. I would say that was very, very rare. I've never heard of it unless a teacher has been called in to cover a sick teacher, in which case they have a choice to accept or decline.

If you start at 6am you work no later than 3pm.

If you start in the afternoon you may finish at 7.30 or 8 pm."

Sorry to disagree with you, but when I worked at IDP/ACE I started early in the morning and finished in the evening for the duration of my contract. I was totally without any choice in the matter.

"I would recommend ACE to anyone looking to work in Cambodia or looking for a cross-cultural experience in Asia."

I would say give IDP/ACE a go if you're in PP with nothing better to do, but don't travel to Cambodia specially to take up a contract with them. As for cross-cultural experiences in Asia, you can get them anywhere. IDP/ACE does not have a monopoly on them!
Filmstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: ACE Reply with quote

ACE is not just for backpackers. They've some excellent teachers working there, and students are extremely motivated and a pleasure to teach.

Timetables can be a lottery. However, overtime is often available and management always do their best to accommodate teachers' requests.

Pleasing 60+ teachers teaching 5000+ students is never going to be an easy task.

You can never please all of the people all of the time. Who said that again Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: