Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work permit situation in Da Nang?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Work permit situation in Da Nang? Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Any idea how rigid they are in Da Nang with this? I'm thinking of making a move from HCMC. I currently lack a degree, but have plenty of experience and a TEFL certificate. Not picky with age groups.

Thanks
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Work permit situation in Da Nang? Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Hey guys.

Any idea how rigid they are in Da Nang with this? I'm thinking of making a move from HCMC. I currently lack a degree, but have plenty of experience and a TEFL certificate. Not picky with age groups.

Thanks

I sent you a PM
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Work permit situation in Da Nang? Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Hey guys.

Thanks

I think it's best to ask the schools there.

The work permit situation in Saigon is back again. Some friends of mine that have taught for a few years,w/ a tefl cert and popular with students and the manager have have been told they cannot renew their work permits.

They don't have a degree, but these large chains got around it. Now apparently they presumably cannot.

Some long term teachers in hcmc have been told they cannot work for their schools anymore.

As noted, this is Saigon and not Danang, but it seems once again things are tightening.
Mushroom Druid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Work permit situation in Da Nang? Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
Hey guys.

Thanks

I think it's best to ask the schools there.

The work permit situation in Saigon is back again. Some friends of mine that have taught for a few years,w/ a tefl cert and popular with students and the manager have have been told they cannot renew their work permits.

They don't have a degree, but these large chains got around it. Now apparently they presumably cannot.

Some long term teachers in hcmc have been told they cannot work for their schools anymore.

As noted, this is Saigon and not Danang, but it seems once again things are tightening.
Sudz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The work permit situation has definitely been kicked into another gear. Of course, there will be exceptions. I myself have been at my current school for several years, and this will be my last month. I was told that there had been some inspections the past couple of months, and that it was becoming too risky (and this is taking into account that I will be finished my degree within the year). Fair enough (teachers without WPs have become a small minority at my school).

I will most likely send out some applications around HCMC the week before Tet, and - if nothing comes up - make a move up north. Unfortunately, Tet seems to be a bad time to look for work. (By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for schools, a reply or PM would be greatly appreciated!)
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:
The work permit situation has definitely been kicked into another gear. Of course, there will be exceptions. I myself have been at my current school for several years, and this will be my last month. I was told that there had been some inspections the past couple of months, and that it was becoming too risky (and this is taking into account that I will be finished my degree within the year). Fair enough (teachers without WPs have become a small minority at my school).

Yes, this is happening where I am working also. Over time, slowly but surely, they are indeed implementing the rules. It will be harder for some to avoid the requirements.

Quote:
if nothing comes up - make a move up north. Unfortunately, Tet seems to be a bad time to look for work. (By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for schools, a reply or PM would be greatly appreciated!)

Hanoi has already slowed down a lot. IMO, in April things will pick up. I could be wrong but that is the way it usually is. And the economy in Hanoi is slower than Saigon.

I'm not saying you won't find work. Apply. Visit schools. But perhaps you should delay a relocation until April - if you don't have the funds
kurtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz wrote:

I will most likely send out some applications around HCMC the week before Tet, and - if nothing comes up - make a move up north. Unfortunately, Tet seems to be a bad time to look for work. (By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for schools, a reply or PM would be greatly appreciated!)

Have you seen anything released officially that might back you up on this one? I'm not doubting you have been let go, as have some other people, but I'd like to see something more official than a few stories. A similar thing happened in Hanoi several months ago. I heard a few schools got shut down, the mills got hassled a bit and since then it seems to have gone away. I've haven't heard of any recent crack downs in the north.
Sudz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I should have said 'kicked into another gear' in the context of my school. Besides that, I've only heard that things would tighten up from Jan 2013 on. This is of course deja vu for those of us that have been here for a while, and this info can hardly be taken as fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: