Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring to UK after Teaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleased to help - and to give information for other fortunate souls who are about to escape from Teflania, a land most of us will leave one day.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most difficult thing is tolerating winters when it gets dark at 4 in the afternoon. Maybe I should winter in a Southern clime ? Beirut ? Benghazi ?
Bangui ? On second thoughts..............
robinbanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in my 60th year and the time has come for the big heave-ho.They extend year by year in the gulf.My family is back in Derry.Thought I could get a job doing supply teaching but there's nothing doing here.had a good time though...Botswana and Japan with the Council.
is supply work regular in Glasgow.I may have to commute from Derry.How do some of you guys survive?Do you ave pension schemes?GCSE's?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland. If you have that, there are supply jobs in Greater Glasgow, ie Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Renfrewshire, Inverclyde, etc ( Education used to be a Reghional function, now a District Counmcil function.)

You may not get work all year but you could well get it for a few months. Maybe just the odd week here and there, covering for teachers rendered temporarily insane.

I don't work. Live on my meager pension.

I am not sure that "commuting" from Derry to Glasgow is feasible. Maybe if you have an executive Learjet. Weekends in Derry and working days in Glasgow possible, but with supply they sometimes phone you at 7am and ask if you are free that day.

The connection between pension schemes and GCSEs escapes me.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: wot ? Reply with quote

I think our inquiry from (London)derry may be confusing GCSEs and PGCE.

To teach in a State School in Scotland you need to be a registered teacher. This normally means having completed a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Educatio), B.Ed or equivalent.

GCSEs have never been used in Scotland outside of a small number of anglicised private schools. School leaving certioficates are explained in detail here :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Qualifications_Authority

The question about pensions confuses me. Are you asking about contributing to a pension fund ? Scottish teachers pay into a Pension Fund as do their employers. In private EFL Schools that may not be case. All employees and self-employed pay National Insurance Contribuitiuons (ERNICS) which can be used for benefits, including State Retirement Pension.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of March and a few days of sun have lifted my winter gloom. Pleased that I retired when I did ! And that I have a bijou early-Victorian town house at minimal rent ! With modern plumbing and central heating of course !
Axel Heidsman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scot47

How is life [the universe & everything] treating you these days? You seem to have abandoned this thread of late. Has island life begun to pall or do you awaken each day to fresh joys?

Recently, I bought a second floor flat in Stirling, the gateway to everywhere. It is just across the road from the River Forth and has a good view of Stirling Castle from the front windows, and of Wallace's Monument and the Ochill Hills from the back. It cost me most of ten years in Saudi Arabia, so you could say it wasn't cheap. On the other hand, with the change, I have built a very comfortable bungalow in the sleepy capital of a small Central African country.

Perhaps, when I move to Scotland next year, we can get together and reminisce about life on and off the Great North Road. I don't think we're likely to have say about the Great Emptiness.

I hope you are well. Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still here - one step ahead of the Grim Reaper. I avoid the hustle of the big cities like Stirling and Ayr and stay in my decaying Victorian holiday resort in the "Madeira of the Clyde". I rather like decaying post-imperial places.
Axel Heidsman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a decaying post-imperialist, I too like such places - but preferably with just a trace of spilled French or Portuguese wine in the air, rather than lager and vomit. Hellville on Nossi Be [Big Island], Madagascar, 1975, springs to mind - when the going was still good.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still posting - and avoiding Trolls ! Enjoying retirement and a wonderful summer here in the Clyde Estuary !
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget your retirement in Tahiti -

Get one of these -

http://www.fynehomes.org.uk/property.html
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty, I am thinking of renting a detached house with the Scottish Veterans Garden City Association.
What do you think?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only for Veterans of UK Armed Forces. What unit were you in ? The Somali Camel Corps ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somaliland_Camel_Corps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: