Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gifts for bosses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: gifts for bosses Reply with quote

The FTs at my uni have 3 bosses, all women, and they treat us like royalty. We all just got more fruit than we can ever eat in a month and this sort of thing happens all the time. My question is should we give them (the bosses) some sort of gift at this time of the year? I'm getting tons of different answers out there including the advice from one of my co-workers who says "no". Wasn't planning anything extravagant. There's a delicious mochi store outside of the local Walmart that sells gift boxes and I thought that might be an appropriate gift for the 3 ladies.

What do the rest of you do, especially those who work at unis?

Thanks.

DirtGuy
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its appropriate.

If you work with someone who tends to look after you well and you have a fairly decent relationship returning a gift would be standard practice really.
randyj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, why not? You can buy them gift boxes of mochi and get a box for yourself to eat on the way home. That's what I would do.
muffintop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at a Uni but the owner and the actual person in charge always get small gifts for this holiday and the moon cake holiday. Especially since I am fairly sure I am the only teacher that does this...it means a lot. This kind of thing is really important here so it seems.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think giving gifts to the big bosses can be appropriate. They take care of you. During Spring Festival I think you could do it.

Whenever I have given my bosses presents, I have usually splashed out on really nice pens--the kind that can be expensive and one would want to have, but wouldn't want to dole out the money on oneself. I figure it's something they could use at work and everyone seems to like having a nice pen (?).

Warm regards and happy Spring Festival,
fat_chris
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packets of expensive tea are appreciated.
There is a brand 'Red Robe' or similar name that is regarded as creme de la creme.
I think it is a good idea if you are being well treated.
We moan enough about dodgy employers don't we?
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

I'm going to get them the really big gift box of mochi balls and then they can sort out who takes how many. It's a beautiful presentation and they taste great so one gift will handle all 3 of them. Everyone is gone now but I'll give it to them when the next semester starts.

Yeah, people do complain a lot but we do get treated great here. Maybe I just got lucky but my experiences have been nothing like what I read on the forum.

DG
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one boss and two teaching assistants (one of the girls is the bosses admin as well).

My boss is a great guy so I try and pick him up something when I am out of the country. He smokes, so sometimes a carton of marlboros at the duty free shop. I just got back from Vietnam so I picked him up some local foods there.

The TA girls work long hours - often 8a to 8 p. I bring them food sometimes. In Vietnam I picked up some made in France shampoos for them and a coconut candle (candle in half a coconut).

The other foreign teachers don't seem to give them anything - but some of them are very demanding of the girls - like asking them to translate or handle affairs of their apartment etc.

I figure just being nice to them is the best gift I can give them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: