Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone have experience teaching in Australia as an American?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cherrysoda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Anyone have experience teaching in Australia as an American? Reply with quote

Been considering making the move to Australia from Korea for a year before I hit the international school market.

Does anyone know if teaching jobs can be found for foreigners in Australia? Public school, private school, language academy, or University?

Is it possible to find a job before I go or must I find one after I arrive?

What areas are best to search?

Thanks a bunch!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a country-specific forum below; you may be more likely to get answers from people who really now the job market if you post there.
The obvious answer is that you'll be competing with a whole lot of other native English speakers. Anglophone countries are typically quite difficult for non-citizen teachers to find work in.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a way to get legal work there, please let me know! We're Canadian and we've been wanting to move for years. As far as I've read, Australia is not interested in hiring foreigners to teach their native language.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can work there for a year on a working-holiday or work and holiday visa if you're under 30. In fact on another job site, I once noticed an ad for a job in Australia that said that Americans with a working holiday visa (though Americans can actually only get a "work and holiday" visa) were welcome to apply.

I know this doesn't help you Santi, but in terms of immigrating to Australia permanently, I know that Australia is far easier to migrate to than the US, and yet I know at least a couple non-native-speaking foreigners who teach English in the US, mostly by migrating for another reason (in one case to teach her native French and then changing occupation after getting her green card).

The Australian immigration authority has information on applying for a visa as a skilled worker, which can be sponsored through a company, a state or territorial government, or oneself. I'm under the impression that you have a Master's degree, and teach in Quebec public schools, right Santi? I noticed that pre-primary and secondary education teachers are on the list of qualified professions, if either of those interest you (primary isn't, unless you're doing some form of disabled education). And since you speak French and your husband is a native, you might try going as a French teacher if English doesn't pan out. My impression is that it's still the foreign language of choice for young Australians, for some reason.

Regards,
~Q
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qaaolchoura wrote:
You can work there for a year on a working-holiday or work and holiday visa if you're under 30. In fact on another job site, I once noticed an ad for a job in Australia that said that Americans with a working holiday visa (though Americans can actually only get a "work and holiday" visa) were welcome to apply.

I know this doesn't help you Santi, but in terms of immigrating to Australia permanently, I know that Australia is far easier to migrate to than the US, and yet I know at least a couple non-native-speaking foreigners who teach English in the US, mostly by migrating for another reason (in one case to teach her native French and then changing occupation after getting her green card).

The Australian immigration authority has information on applying for a visa as a skilled worker, which can be sponsored through a company, a state or territorial government, or oneself. I'm under the impression that you have a Master's degree, and teach in Quebec public schools, right Santi? I noticed that pre-primary and secondary education teachers are on the list of qualified professions, if either of those interest you (primary isn't, unless you're doing some form of disabled education). And since you speak French and your husband is a native, you might try going as a French teacher if English doesn't pan out. My impression is that it's still the foreign language of choice for young Australians, for some reason.

Regards,
~Q

Thanks Qaaolchoura!

I'm not qualified but once my 3 month old is eligible for daycare (6 months here) then yes, I will be doing an MA TESOL @ McGill that comes with teacher certification.

I'll show this thread to my husband. We're both dying to get out of this snow! I couldn't even handle Vancouver!
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can handle unbearable levels of heat, bush fires and/or floods. That seems to be, increasingly, an annual reality in parts of Australia nowadays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: