Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA Courses: Cost/Benefit and Job Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thethriller

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: CELTA Courses: Cost/Benefit and Job Placement Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

First post after spending the majority of the past few months ghost-reading just about everything on this forum.

I was wondering if someone could provide me with a few CELTA courses taught in CZ that help with job placement afterwards. I am pretty young (graduating undergrad this May) so I am pretty new to this whole thing. I am drawn to teaching in CZ for a number of reasons but my main concern is if I can recoup the cost of the CELTA certification or whether it takes substantially more then a year to do so given the current salaries of English teachers in Prague and other cities.

Any and all advice about teaching in CZ, how to give yourself the best chance at securing a teaching job, etc. would be greatly appreciated. This forum as been so helpful with steering me in the right direction and I just wanted to say thank you!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a lot depends upon your country of origin. If not an EU member citizen, you're pretty much on your own these days to get a business license. You say you've read just about' all of the threads on this board: here's a current one that sheds significant light on this issue: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99438

'Job placement' doesn't exist. Reputable training centres will put you in touch with decent local employers, but you are still responsible for making contacts, sending out CV/resumes, teaching demo lessons, and negotiating contract terms.

As for recouping the cost of a course, that's only part of the start-up costs. Consider flight tickets, your room and board for at least a couple of months prior to being paid by a school, and the cost of the course. Most landlords want a month's rent as security and the first month's rent up front (and agents will want the equivalent of a month's rent, if you have to deal with an agent). Schools typically pay at the end of the month taught. If you are VERY frugal, you MIGHT recoup all costs in only one year, but it's certainly not a given.

Timing is very important in this job market. Most contracts are Sept - June, so the most efficient time to come take a course is August, so that when it's finished you are in the peak hiring season.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the average teacher's experience in Prague, I don't think many save money in the city. It's possible, but most don't. I know if money becomes an issue (student loans...etc), a lot of our graduates go to Korea and we help them get good jobs there. Aside from the course, you're also going to have to pay for your visa and most likely Zivno with health insurance and all of this will probably run you about another 700 USD.

Let me know if I can help

Chris Westergaard
The Language House TEFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: