Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bosnia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
globetrotterdk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Bosnia? Reply with quote

I am interested in getting some information about teaching possibilities in Bosnia, preferably Sarajevo. I have worked under tough conditions abroad before. I am interested in practical information on requirements for teachers, work permits, resident permit for spouse, wages, schools to contact, basically the whole nine yards. I am qualified to teach English, as well as social sciences, history, geography, etc.

Anyone with experience in the area?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a number of Bosnians, including language teachers, and have visited Sarajevo. Picture leafy squares, sumptuous food, and very nice wines. 'Tough conditions,' indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCvBwMdSsNs

Pay for language teachers is scant. Support spouse on teacher wages? No. Unless spouse has local language skills, employment opportunities basically nil.

Teach another subject? In English? International schools. Better pay, better conditions, VERY rare openings. People get these jobs, and keep them.
globetrotterdk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the info. Interesting video BTW. Thanks for sharing.
oipivo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about teaching in Sarajevo, but I do know that it's possible. I will also say that I loved the city when I was there. It's really nice place. I would love tos pend more time there.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting video BTW. Thanks for sharing.

Just to be clear; it's not my video. Found it on the internet.
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best students I ever had were in Bosnia, about 12 years ago. Great sense of humour (you need that to survive the Serbs) and desire to learn (you need that to emigrate, which most of them want to do). Good nightlife, beautiful country (mind the landmines) and easy access to one of the best coastlines in Europe.

I worked at this place: http://www.vergemagazine.com/program-search/teach-abroad/the-soros-language-school-teaching-jobs.html

The location seems to have changed, although from the photo gallery I can see at least one of the same teachers.

Salary is nothing special and we were always counting the pennies at the end of the month but it was a great job and place to live.
jaffa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is their offical site: http://www.soros-school.com/english_ver/index.php

The video at the bottom is hilarious and reminded me that you can teach anything from kids to Interpol policemen to the Iranian ambassador. One guy in my class was arrested for war crimes!
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check out Mr Soros before committing to working for him or his school.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
You might want to check out Mr Soros before committing to working for him or his school.

Yeah, billionaires just shouldn't be giving away money trying to promote democracy in emerging nations. It's not in the natural scheme of things. Everone knows billionaires give money to restrict democracy, not promote it. And you definitely want to stay away from anyone who gives hundreds of millions to improving public health--suspicious behavior, without a doubt. Supporting human rights, and education? Education, of all things? Yeah, stay away from that guy! Very Happy

Of course, he did contribute to the effort to defeat George Bush, but lots of people--about half of the US--don't find that objectionable.

Now, as for how he's earned his money, and the criticism in the 90's of currency manipulation, etc., I'm not really competent to judge. But, in any event, I don't think that would prevent me from working for a school funded by his philanthropy. After all, many of have worked in schools funded by various governments that have done much worse (and bloodier) things than espousing progressive causes.

Charges of anti-Semitism, and the Soros conspiracy theories? Aside from the fact that these are widely condemned by the ADL and various organizations of Holocaust survivors, all I really need to know is that the most notable proponent of these theories is Glenn Beck. Ah, yes, Glenn Beck himself, that icon of conservative American lunacy.

jaffa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Xie Lin. Also, the Sarajevo school is non-profit.

Despite the low wages it employed the most fun, vibrant, dedicated staff I've ever worked with, and, like I said, despite the mental damage of war, the best students I've ever come across.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend there were extensive street riots in Bosnian towns over rising unemployment, low wages and unpaid pensions.

Still believe in the Tooth Fairy and that Nice Mr Soros ? He that was going to build new-world style democracy in the Balkans ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: