Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How did you find your job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibbs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: How did you find your job? Reply with quote

That is, if you don't mind saying. It might be some as yet unexplored option for job seekers, the competition! I'm not sure if there a policy about linking to websites though, believe I tried that with a particular one once and it didn't go over well. I think it had teachers board in the address, a well known one. That's where I got work before, posting there.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isnt one for newbies .. but I think the value of networking should never be ignored. Normally as part of that first job you start to develop a bit of an EFL circle of friends. I keep in touch with them and as a result know a number of people in a number of locations that I would trust in terms of introductions to a new position.

Forum friends can be included in this too. Naturally a number of us have disagreements and may even go as far as having spats and a dislike of each other (or our online persona at least). By the same token there are a number of people I interact with here who Id be tempted to hit up for jobs should the need or interest arise. Foreigner guanxi.
lemak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online is still probably the best way from outside the country. Someone asked just the other day about best sites....seriousteachers.com, echinacities etc. are generally mentioned. Put your resume everywhere you can think of, but be prepared to sift through a staggering amount of junk - I have over 1,000 unopened emails in my inbox which I've never got around to deleting from applying for jobs 18 months ago.
And D.M is right. Once in the country you'll make connections. Ex teachers move on to better places. Stay in touch with them, suck up the pricier beers at the local expat bars and be sociable. People always know of vacancies.
QQ can be helpful too - especially once in country. Set up an account and name it "Blah Blah Blah Teacher"...put up your best Brad Pitt-esque pic and add a few people and see how long before some vultures sniff out the laowai blood and make you offers.
The competition angle is an interesting one. Start a thread in April or May about "Hey who knows of an available uni job in Guangzhou or Hainan with easy hours and good pay?" and see how many replies you get....guaranteed tumbleweeds even though the gigs *are* out there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found my current job here:

China TEFL

Actually I've had a few jobs in China and found all of them on that site.
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied for a position in Beijing on esljobs.com but they wanted a female. That recruiter (GASP!!) later send me the info on my current position.
When I'm looking I spend a lot of time on Dave's, esljobs and echinacities searching for what I want.
Learn a few key words used in the positions you like and then use the search functions.
I'll look starting in April but I might stay here.
Cool
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A co-worker of mine that was looking to get out of the same crappy job that I was told me about the position. I don't really remember where the posting was (echinacities or shanghaiexpat maybe?). Luckily for us (she found a job in her non-education related field and I interviewed/demo'd and got my job) we both got the h.e.l.l. out of that other place at about the same time. The 'company' surely didn't make it easy for us to transfer our rps though.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first job in China and I found it here on Dave's. The poster was a recruiter and everything that was promised was delivered.

Your mileage may vary.

DirtGuy
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 methods used so far:
Friend's recommendation.
Cold called the FAO in person, as it was close to where I was living.
Agent via seriousteachers.com
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim-Maniac wrote:
.. but I think the value of networking should never be ignored. ....

I met my current boss when I gave her my seat on a bus; a few days later I ran into her in a store and she asked if I would consider working for her.
That was about ten years ago.
Babala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine through a friend who worked there at the time. I have been in the same job for almost 5 years now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: