Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to request a university recommendation letter?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: When to request a university recommendation letter? Reply with quote

The second term is less than a month away at the university I am working for. When is a good time to ask for a recommendation letter? No problems about my position nor are there any bad feelings.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post and something I need to know.

Got any idea where you are headed next year?

DG
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say if your FAO is on the ball and has reacted quickly to past requests then you can wait till midway through the second term. If they dither over lots of things and can't make a decision without consulting ten other people first then ask at the beginning of the next term.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JR....I think I should ask pretty quick because I will need to start applying right away.
DG, I am not sure where I am headed next year. A little less remote would be nice and perhaps somewhere else not as cold. I don't mind it that much but my Filipina wife thinks it's freezing outside when it falls below 70 degrees (21C) Smile
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux,

70F is cold? Time for you to make friends with weather.com:-)

Did you do any outside work where you are? If so, how did you find your students way out there in the boonies?

DG
rioux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DG!

I never did any outside work. I think if I asked my boss would have been ok with it.
The students at my university are really awesome. Their English level is extremely low. Some are good and a few ok but a vast majority of them are really low. I was surprised when I arrived here to see that about 70-80% of them are females.
I'm enjoying my time with my family in the Philippines now. I think yesterday's temperature was 88 degrees. It's great being back here.
Nicfishn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your wife would like southern Yunnan. I just came back from there and desperately miss the 32 degree heat. Summers must be scorching though. Then again, maybe not if you're used to the Philippines.
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want everyone who hates the weather in northern China to leave upon completion of this coming semester. Right now might be even better. Go. Get out of here immediately. This may have the intended result of increasing the demand for FTs that actually like cold weather. Laughing

Perhaps I should have my boss write on my recommendation letter that I enjoy winter weather.

DG
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the question raised by the OP, I don't think you should let the release letter (I call in that rather than a 'recommendation', as the only translations I have seen, don't call for any kind of value judgement) delay your thinking about your new job and getting CV and other materials updated.
The release will only come into play when your new school looks forward to renewing your residence.
At some stage this (Spring) semester, you will, or should be asked if you are renewing. They won't ask if they don't want you back.
Some schools will offer a sweetener of all or part of the July/August break as paid leave.
If your reasons for leaving are $$-related factor the paid holiday into the equation.
If you are also doing language school work over summer, the combo of salary AND language school pay can get your year off to a good start.
For those whose homes are in the Sthn Hemisphere a June/July trip home isn't as attractive as Jan/Feb.
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: When to request a university recommendation letter? Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
The second term is less than a month away at the university I am working for. When is a good time to ask for a recommendation letter? No problems about my position nor are there any bad feelings.

When and if you plan on looking for another job - pretty basic.
hochhasd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
Back on the question raised by the OP, I don't think you should let the release letter (I call in that rather than a 'recommendation', as the only translations I have seen, don't call for any kind of value judgement) delay your thinking about your new job and getting CV and other materials updated.
The release will only come into play when your new school looks forward to renewing your residence.
At some stage this (Spring) semester, you will, or should be asked if you are renewing. They won't ask if they don't want you back.
Some schools will offer a sweetener of all or part of the July/August break as paid leave.
If your reasons for leaving are $$-related factor the paid holiday into the equation.
If you are also doing language school work over summer, the combo of salary AND language school pay can get your year off to a good start.
For those whose homes are in the Sthn Hemisphere a June/July trip home isn't as attractive as Jan/Feb.

If they ask if you are renewing or in my case hand out a letter asking if you are renewing and what increase that you require does that mean they want to re-sign you if I get this letter? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they gave you a letter asking if you want to renew, I guess they want you to renew and want to know what increase you require. Don't know why they gave you a letter unless it says something other than what you said it says. If a school wants you to stay they usually just ask you, in person or by sending a short email.
hochhasd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
If they gave you a letter asking if you want to renew, I guess they want you to renew and want to know what increase you require. Don't know why they gave you a letter unless it says something other than what you said it says. They usually just ask you, in person or by email.

My bad! As I thought about it more I believe it says "will you be staying ,re-signing and what increase are you looking for. Embarassed
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reaction would be to (a) ask that the summer break be paid and (b) say a 20 percent increase.
For a uni hack like most of us this would be RMB1000-1500pm.
Only you have the local knowledge about how difficult they find it to recruit staff.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which letter(s) are you referring to?

there's a recommendation letter (not required) written in english and
printed on school letterhead. not all schools will give you this unless
you ask for it. not all schools will request one from your prior employer.

there's also the release letter (required) written in chinese. this is a
simple form letter, signed by the english department and one of the
school leaders, with several lovely red stamps. you'll need this if
transferring to a new employer.

you should be able to request these about midway through the spring
term.

to simplify the process, download a copy of the release letter (there be
llinks here on dave's somewheres), have a chinese friend help you fill it
out. then take it to your FAO and say you'll stop by the following week
to pick it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: