Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering MA in TEFL. Questions concerning future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedHerring

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Considering MA in TEFL. Questions concerning future Reply with quote

I am an American citizen and I was accepted into a TEFL master's program in the Netherlands. I'm still awaiting acceptance/rejection for a different program, but as I am considering this program I wanted to learn more about my options.

The program would require a year/semester of teaching experience in a Dutch high school, which is potential to gain a more permanent employment if it goes well. The head of the department, when I spoke to her, mentioned a certificate which I could get in various places in Europe that would allow me, it sounded like(my memory from Dec is a bit stretched) to teach throughout Europe. I believe work in this area is pretty good in Europe, and pays decently. At least I would hope this could provide a steady career and good pay.

My only concern is, if it is needed, if I could offer anything were I to return to the US(or England) for work. My girlfriend is a European citizen so we would primarily be overseas, but we want to be near my family as well at some point and I want to be able to find good work. I'm not sure how teaching English is very lucrative within English-speaking countries.

Any help/advice anybody could give would be much appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Considering MA in TEFL. Questions concerning future Reply with quote

RedHerring wrote:
My only concern is, if it is needed, if I could offer anything were I to return to the US(or England) for work. My girlfriend is a European citizen so we would primarily be overseas, but we want to be near my family as well at some point and I want to be able to find good work. I'm not sure how teaching English is very lucrative within English-speaking countries.

It's competitive, although no one can say what the demand for TEFL will be like when you decide to enter the US job market some upmteen years from now. Plus, having mostly overseas TEFL experience as well as a degree from a foreign country may hinder you in getting a TESL position in the US. (As an American, you should thoroughly research where in Europe you can teach.)

Anyway, to get an idea of US TESL jobs/requirements, try craigslist and tesol.org's career site for postings. If your interest is in teaching ESL/bilingual ed in US secondary schools, you'll find info about the required teaching licensure on each state's dept. of ed website.
GambateBingBangBOOM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot be all things to all people. Since you intend on being based overseas the majority of the time, and you say this is a stable career, then that seems like a good plan.

If you did end up being back in the States, then maybe your best bet would be to see if the teaching qualification that is good for all of Europe would be transferable to the States. I know at least some states have individual subject licences, so providing the program met the requirements of a general teaching licence in a particular state, then you may be able to do a test to get approved to teach another subject- like if your undergrad is in a teachable subject (English, math etc) then you could do a test and get that added as a teachable.

Maybe your best bet is to verify exactly what this certificate for throughout Europe will be, and then contact the education department in your home state, and see what they say. I'm kind of assuming that your undergrad is in something that is taught in high schools, or that you will be able to do enough courses to get that 'teachable' via off-campus learning (if that kind of thing is even required).
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the teaching qualification that is good for all of Europe

An MA in TEFL will not gain a work permit for an American citizen in the EU.

Quote:
mentioned a certificate which I could get in various places in Europe that would allow me, it sounded like(my memory from Dec is a bit stretched) to teach throughout Europe.

There is no certificate that will allow a US citizen to get a work permit in most EU countries. CELTA or equivalent will get one a job in Central/Eastern Europe, but these jobs are most definitely NOT well-paid. Not in regular state schools, not in private schools, not in universities.

Only way to make all this happen is to marry the European citizen girlfriend.

Even then, stable-well-paid jobs are extremely rare across Europe, and most often go to people with local contacts and language skills and reputation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: