Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go in Asia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Where to go in Asia? Reply with quote

Hey,
I've been reading posts on this site for a while, trying to figure out where I may be interested in/qualified to teach. My ultimate goal is to spend some time teaching in the Middle East, but clearly that will require experience and more schooling. I have a BA, no real teaching experience and no TEFL certificate. I know my reasoning is backwards, but I would rather see if I enjoy teaching English before I worry about spending money on qualifications. Judging by the number of jobs in Asia that demand minimal qualifications, it seems like a good place to gain some experience and an idea of what to expect.

I am torn as to what country to pursue work in . Japan, Korea and Taiwan (not in that particular order) seem like good choices as far as job opportunities, money and various entertainment. I'd love some feedback on which of these countries, or others, would be best suited for someone starting out.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a bachelor's degree, so you are qualified for a work visa in Japan. That settles immigration's requirement as long as you find a sponsor (employer).

What is needed for an employer's requirement may differ, but it looks like you are qualified to teach only in the language schools (eikaiwas). Japan has hundreds/thousands of them. Only 4 hire from overseas, so if you don't have the money to support yourself to come here and job hunt, you have limited options.

Working overseas is never a walk in the park. There can be vast cultural differences that overwhelm foreigners. I strongly suggest you read up on the culture of each country before jumping into the fray. If you would like a list of pluses and minuses of living/working in Japan, send me an email. I made a list (in Excel format) on my own, based on over 4 years of living here. [email protected]

The good news is that in Japan you don't have to speak the language to qualify as a teacher of English. Employers would rather you speak English in class (although some Japanese helps immensely in some cases). Also, knowing Japanese will be of benefit in your daily life. And, in Japan, if you choose to resign, your visa follows you to the next employer until it expires. This doesn't happen in Korea.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing about Japan. You might want to consider the JET program. It hires only once a year, and the process takes many months, but it's a good way to get your foot in the door, as long as you don't mind being a teacher's assistant instead of a full-fledged teacher.

www.jetprogramme.org
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sent me an email with two addresses in it, and they look like different names. Rather than send to both people, please help me out. Do I reply to the hotmail address or the cogeco one?
GoLeafs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I forgot it showed the other address. My address is the hotmail one. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: