Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eritrea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fladude

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Eritrea? Reply with quote

Anyone with experience in Eritrea?

I am curious about the cost of living and the ability to go out at night.

Thanks.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eritrea is a police state el maximo. One of the best constitutions on the planet, it is said, but the dictator would rather not ratify. You have a job lead there? As a foreigner no doubt there would be certain freedoms, but don't count on internet. There was a recent article on the web, but I can't find it just now, on the pathetic state of affairs there. It has one of the largest diasporas for good reason.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto the above.

The national football team has gone through quite a few defections in the recent past due to the condition of the country.

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2012/12/03/Eritreas-soccer-team-defects-in-Uganda/UPI-30921354566084/

Warm regards,
fat_chris
cartago

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that they force people to exchange foreign currency at a very unfavorable rate and there are strict penalties for doing it on the black market. Of course if you were paid in local currency I guess that wouldn't matter as much, but I think you also have to declare how much currency you bring in and it has to roughly match how much you bring out, don't know how that would affect an expat worker. I've heard you also have to get special permission for when you leave the capital and go to other places. So, you would be under very tight control. I wouldn't be surprised if they had people spy on whatever expat foreigners were there too.

Would be very interesting to hear if you come across any expats working there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: