Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to leave KSA if not like the job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr_haron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Is it possible to leave KSA if not like the job? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I got a job offer at University of Dammam, and have some frustration as I never lived in that part of the world before. My question is if for whatever reason I did not like the job or life there, how soon can I leave the KSA? knowing that there is no probation period for work at uni and will be traveling (if at all) on work visa. Is there any obligation from my side if I decided not to continue?

I understand KSA is like a trap that you need a permission to exit. is it possible to leave before Iqama if I am on work visa or must have Iqama first and then obtain exit permit?

Thanks,
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it possible to leave KSA if not like the job? Reply with quote

dr_haron wrote:
Hi folks,

I got a job offer at University of Dammam, and have some frustration as I never lived in that part of the world before. My question is if for whatever reason I did not like the job or life there, how soon can I leave the KSA? knowing that there is no probation period for work at uni and will be traveling (if at all) on work visa. Is there any obligation from my side if I decided not to continue?

I understand KSA is like a trap that you need a permission to exit. is it possible to leave before Iqama if I am on work visa or must have Iqama first and then obtain exit permit?

Thanks,

If you discover that you cannot handle KSA or the work then the best thing would be to give at least 3 months notice. You should check your contract or perhaps ask your employer for the polices regarding early resignation (although that may raise a red flag concerning your lack of commitment). Since the whole hiring process is time consuming on both sides, I am sure your decision to pack it in so soon after arrival would not go over very well with your employer.

I would think long and hard about going to KSA, if you are thinking about leaving even before setting foot in the Kingdom.

At the very least you should be able to handle one year then give your notice, if you find the situation not to your liking.

Surely you have researched the country's laws and culture etc. and are aware of the various restrictions so that you go in with your eyes wide open.

I have been teaching in KSA for over 10 years with out any major problems; therefore, I think anyone should be able hack it for one year Rolling Eyes
Finish what you start and you will come away feeling better than running away from the situation even if it's just for a year...sheesh... one school year isn't even 12 months. Why would you even bother to apply if you had these concerns?
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the situation turns out not to measure up to your expectations, I would still stick it out for the school year. You come away with a valuable learning experience about this part of the world plus you will feel better for having completed what you started.

In all honesty you would have to be a major f**k up not to be able to handle even a poor situation for one year in KSA. I am sure you will be fine and one school year flies by even when you're not having fun Razz
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is normally a contractual penalty if you leave without giving proper notice. Some people go to Bahrain "for a weekend" and do not come back.
dr_haron

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your valuable comments. Indeed I can handle a year or more even if the situation is so bad, and theoretically I can leave afterward but practically is not easy. Leaving my current job means I need to hunt for a new job in case I did not like KSA one, which can take time. The case is even more difficult with a family.
One more question came to my mind, is it possible (by law) to move to another job while in KSA?
Zara461

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_haron wrote:
One more question came to my mind, is it possible (by law) to move to another job while in KSA?

Theoretically is possible, with a condition your current employer provides you with a NOC (No Objection Certificate) after the end of your contract.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note the adverb "Theoretically" - very rare occurrence in reality.

Regards,
John
abayababy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One must be employed with same employer for two years. Transfers of iqamas occur more frequently than those who haven't been in Saudi for years would lead us to believe.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government univesrities usualloy do NOT give a LONO/NOC, although they may demand one from new hires. Do NOT assume that you caneasily move to another employer.

My exzperience was that teachers from other Arab couintries were very unhappy in KSA. Western teachers often found it easier - and were treated better.
Zara461

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Please note the adverb "Theoretically" - very rare occurrence in reality.

Regards,
John

Well John, I think in the Magic Kingdom everything is theoretically possible, but realistically is impractical! Laughing

scot47 wrote:
My exzperience was that teachers from other Arab couintries were very unhappy in KSA. Western teachers often found it easier - and were treated better.

Really scot?
Why are the teachers from other Arab countries unhappy in the Magic Kingdom? Is it because their salary is at the bottom of the barrel, and are not treated well?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be the reason. Many also do not like dealing with Bedouin Nouveaux Riches !
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear abayababy,

May I ask how long you're been in the Kingdom and how many people that you know personally (not "hearsay") have gotten such transfers?

While it's true that it's been nearly a decade since I was in the Kingdom, I am, thanks to the miracles of technology, still in touch with (literally) over a dozen people, both Saudis and Westerners, still there.

Having checked with many of them, the (so far) unanimous response is that such transfers are still exceedingly rare.

Regards,
John
abayababy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John,

May I ask why your hearsay is any more valid than mine?

Regards,

abaya
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear abayababy,

Good point - so, including "hearsay" how many? And how long have you been there?

Regards,
John
abayababy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six months, John. My roommate has been here 3 years and she can think of at least 3 off the top of her head. "How long has it been since he's been here?" She asked me with a tone of incredulity in her voice, knowing it's been nearly a decade. "Exactly", I responded. "He sounds like an-----", she replied. "Not really", I said. "But like most of the old-timers on Dave's, he doesn't appreciate having his wisdom challenged by a newbie".

To be honest, I got no dog in this fight 'cause I don't anticipate changing employers for the duration of my time in KSA. I just get so tired of the condescending arrogance (and, BTW, I am not the only one) that I can't help responding in kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: