Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the jobs in Canada?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:
I speak fluent French,am an experienced and qualified teacher but have British accent. Can I work in Canada?

As spiral said, if you have Canadian citizenship (or can somehow find a legal work visa) then yes, you can work in Canada. Your accent will not be a problem for reputable employers.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it true that teachers earn $70,000 in Ontario on average? I have a friend who's a financial planner in Toronto and that's what he told me. I know that Canadians have always told me there's never a shortage of teachers and it would make sense if the salaries were so good (compared to parts of the US)
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it true that teachers earn $70,000 in Ontario on average?

Perhaps the relatively low percentage of qualified teachers living in Ontario who have contracted positions make this much. The bulk of 'em are starving at bare minimum with no fixed contracts and would make more as a coffee barrista.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand. Are you talking about subbing? Are they not giving contracts to public school teachers any more? I've noticed in suburban (not urban) districts they are hiring teachers for two years then laying them off.
BUT they're still making the standard starting salary which in my area is $41,000. Houses in average neighborhoods start in the mid $500,000's.

But the larger school districts in big cities are still giving contracts-when there are jobs which there aren't right now. I have no idea about charter schools but apparently the turnover is worse even than public schools.

Could you explain what they're doing in Canada?
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$70k? No, maybe after many decades and upgraded training. Around $48k is standard for a full contract.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/qc/job_futures/statistics/4141.shtml
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend's husband is fully qualified to teach secondary mathematics and is still laid off every year! Unbelievable. Usually the math teachers are safe.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did seem really high to me. 48 seems more reasonable although still higher than here.
Math, science and special ed used to be safe here too. Now there's nothing in those areas but then in my city they've laid off several thousand teachers total in the past 3 years.
Just curious, do you know the class size for elementary in any of the Canadian provinces?
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
It did seem really high to me. 48 seems more reasonable although still higher than here.
Math, science and special ed used to be safe here too. Now there's nothing in those areas but then in my city they've laid off several thousand teachers total in the past 3 years.
Just curious, do you know the class size for elementary in any of the Canadian provinces?

When I left British Columbia (Surrey), it was about 35, unfortunately.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, California has the second highest in the country and when I was first teaching it was 35, they then lowered it to 20 and now it's up to 25-28 and creeping up with the layoffs. I didn't know Canada had such high class sizes. Maybe it's different depending on the province(?)
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
Wow, California has the second highest in the country and when I was first teaching it was 35, they then lowered it to 20 and now it's up to 25-28 and creeping up with the layoffs. I didn't know Canada had such high class sizes. Maybe it's different depending on the province(?)

I left in 2011, but did a quick google search and apparently it's down to 30 again.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/08/03/bc-teachers-class-size-ruling.html

It said it was at a cap of 33 - I saw more than that in some classrooms. Surrey (and other GVRD cities) have high immigration rates, I wonder if they were only counting September registrations.
Ixchel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why the media acts like teachers are millionaires (I read an article on striking teachers here being replaced by substitutes who cost $340 a day with pay and benefits. Haha. Subs don't get medical benefits here and they earn between $75 to $120 a day depending upon the state.) You hear all kinds of stuff from supposedly good sources(!) I am very surprised though that class size is so high in Canada, there seem to be a lot of teachers and the population is much smaller than in the US and you spend more on social services than we do I think. Or maybe that's only in big cities.
I'm guessing your test scores are still higher than ours.
Imdramayu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Job prospects Reply with quote

Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and up north are doing well in public school job prospects -- according to gov report: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/LMI_report_bynoc.do?&noc=4142&reportOption=outlook

Why is that?

Who has taught in the public school in northern Canada with a family? How did you handle your kids' schooling? Non-working spouse?

IM
alvanorichie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best paying jobs in Canada (though it takes a few years to get to it) is being a class A power engineer (stationary engineer) You literally get to name your salary. (My uncle was at half a mil a year before he took an early retirement.) But you're also responsible for a lot of crap and yer on call 24 hours a day.
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of an architect who lives up in the Northwest Territory making a good living. He was from Australia but he got a visa.

I knew a guy from Saskatoon who decided to learn to drive a truck in Alberta and he probably is making good money, maybe at least 80,000 a year.

I even heard that American oil workers can get work in Alberta.

I guess rural Alberta isn`t for everyone. I know one guy who was working in the mountain police in northern Alberta who quit and returned to Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: