Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take care at CAMBRIDGE SCHOOL 79, p. Leonardo - 80129 Napoli

View previous topic :: View next topic  
**beer-goggles**

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Take care at CAMBRIDGE SCHOOL 79, p. Leonardo - 80129 Napoli Reply with quote

Hi. I recently worked at this 'school'. Not a great experience really but should you take a position there, please consider the following:

1. The boss sounds and talks the talk. On the outside he and indeed the school seem passionate about the students needs, yet the opposite is true.
He has no problem mixing classes when students aren't remotely compatible, can't even do the alphabet or basic numeracy with students who were at least A2/B1..I had to defuse a potential fight in my class amongst the students who ALL felt ripped off. When one of them complained he refused to refund fees, which I felt was wrong as the class was a hostile environment due to the big gulf in ability and understanding. Only interested in the money. Needless to say no students returned the next year.

2. He didn't pay any holiday pay and tried to pay as little as possible.

3. Should you be asked to work weekends to complete student practise exams you were obliged to be present until the very last second. Should you leave (due to finishing) 15mins early your pay was docked. I thought this was callous having given up my whole Saturday for him as a favour.

4. He didn't do any PONS and didn't really try to get any real outside work despite work being in abundance.

5. He didn't pay a decent working rate, only when we all rebelled and threatened to go on strike did he begrudgingly gives us a whole 50 cents per hour pay rise. He moaned forever after.

6. The autocratic, loud and rude 'Director of Studies' (I wouldn't use DOS in any sense) is bone idle and as long as she was ok with work then stuff the rest of the other teachers. She couldn't or wouldn't organise any PON projects in the local area and teachers were obliged NOT to work for his competitor at the English teaching agency, St Peters. In effect severely limiting you as to how to made up your money.
The DOS was even rebuked by a parent due to her continual liking for watching films and doing no real lesson.
I asked for a character reference from her and had to wait almost 5 months for it!!

7. He continually moaned about being poor despite owning the property (the school is in Vomero, very expensive area !!!), 2 houses and a boat....It became nauseating and obviously had arterial motives as in trying to pay you as little as possible.

Goodluck to all who work there.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

7. He continually moaned about being poor despite owning the property (the school is in Vomero, very expensive area !!!), 2 houses and a boat....It became nauseating and obviously had arterial motives as in trying to pay you as little as possible.

Do those "arterial motives" involve spilling a little blood? Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: