Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Part-time Contracts with Visa Sponsorship in Jakarta?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baishou

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Part-time Contracts with Visa Sponsorship in Jakarta? Reply with quote

Greetings fellow educators!

I've been based in East Asia since 1994 and am looking to make a move to Indonesia later this year.

I'm also a full-time writer and at least for the first year, am hoping to keep my mornings and early afternoons free since these are my times of peak productivity.

So my question is this: Has anyone heard of schools that offer contracts with somewhat reduced hours and only during the evening time? Ideally, I'd like to work 2 or 3 hours a night 4 or 5 days a week.

I've read here that Wall Street Institute offers upwards of 17 million a month for full-time teachers. How amenable would a school like that be to offering, say, half that salary for half the hours? Possible, or pie in the sky?

For the record, I have an English Literature BA (honors) from a prestigious Stateside university, a bricks-and-mortar TEFL Certificate and over a decade of teaching experience in Japan, South Korea and China, largely at universities and companies. Given the recently revised visa requirements for ESL teachers, would my educational background make me more attractive to prospective employers, and hence give me a bit more negotiating room?

Obviously the high cost of the KITAS would be the same either way, but I would be willing to factor that into whatever sort of reduced salary seems fair to both me and the school. I should also note that I far prefer teaching adults, which is another reason why a school like Wall Street interests me.

Finally, these relatively higher salaries only seem to be on offer in Jakarta and the only thing that worries me is the air pollution there. Does anyone know the average level of PM2.5 there these days?

Cheers in advance for any feedback or suggestions!
Baishou

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been in contact with Wall Street Institute and they only offer full-time contracts at this time.

For those interested, full-time there means 12pm-9pm five consecutive days a week, including 30 actual contact hours. I wonder how anyone can maintain their sanity teaching thirty hours a week?

Any other options?
Gajah Oling

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baishou wrote:

For those interested, full-time there means 12pm-9pm five consecutive days a week, including 30 actual contact hours. I wonder how anyone can maintain their sanity teaching thirty hours a week?

Wow. And to think I start to bitch and moan when I get a 25 hour week dumped in my schedule. Makes me feel thankful for my situation.
Baishou

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And to think I start to bitch and moan when I get a 25 hour week dumped in my schedule.

Yeah, if you're just starting out you might be able to handle a heap of hours for a year or two. But I think for professional teachers it would be a drain to keep that up year after year.

I also think professional teachers prefer a bit of classroom autonomy, but I'm not sure Wall Street Institute offers much of that.

There's obviously a reason why their positions are so well-remunerated, at least in comparison to local salaries.
Atoms for Peace

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baishou wrote:
There's obviously a reason why their positions are so well-remunerated, at least in comparison to local salaries.

Yup - they charge rich Indonesians a fortune to study English there because they have a reputation for quality of premises and small class sizes.
Baishou

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup - they charge rich Indonesians a fortune to study English there because they have a reputation for quality of premises and small class sizes.

In other words, the foreign teachers are dancing models instead of dancing monkeys?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: