Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on TBI & Bandung? Or other? BA English & CE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunShan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Thoughts on TBI & Bandung? Or other? BA English & CE Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I'm just about to finish my BA English and Linguistics degree, and have registered for the CELTA course in July.

I've been offered an interview with TBI and the current options are Bandung and Jakarta. I've been to China, Hong Kong & Thailand before but prefer Bandung at this point as it seems a like a good place to start having never been to Indonesia (I like bit cities but Jakarta seems a bit hectic).

What are people's thoughts about TBI as an employer & Bandung as a destination? Or is there any other good employers?

I know it's annoying for people with a non-English based degree as they can't apply, but this does this put me in a good postion to work with a company like TBI (whom seem quite professional).

What sort of wage & package should I be looking at? i.e. flights and accommodation included?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on TBI & Bandung? Or other? BA English & Reply with quote

SunShan wrote:

I know it's annoying for people with a non-English based degree as they can't apply, but this does this put me in a good postion to work with a company like TBI (whom seem quite professional).

I never actually worked in Indonesia because I always thought it would be a hell hole to actually work in. I've worked in Thailand and it probably would be worse than Thailand. I've been offered subject jobs at 1000 US in Indonesia. I'm not sure your going to be offered better than that.
SunShan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on TBI & Bandung? Or other? BA English & Reply with quote

[/quote]

I never actually worked in Indonesia because I always thought it would be a hell hole to actually work in. I've worked in Thailand and it probably would be worse than Thailand.[/quote]

What makes you think Indonesia will be a hell hole, and it also seems you're prejudiced against Thailand too?

For me, part of the fun of these places is that they aren't as developed as other countries.
chezal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what Plumpy Nut has against Indonesia but I love it. I've lived here on and off since 2004 and don't find it a hell hole to work in. Any place is what you make it. There are some lovely places around Bandung area.

If I had the choice I would choose Bandung. Many of the teachers that work at TBI Dago live up in the hills of Bandung. My friend worked at TBI in Bandung for 3 years and loved her time in Bandung. It's cheaper and cooler than Jakarta. While I'm living in Jakarta at the moment I would jump at the chance to move to Bandung.

While I've never worked for TBI Bandung I used to work for TBI Medan. They were the most professional ESL school I worked in while I was teaching ESL in Indonesia. They actually give professional development unlike some other schools and will also give you the option of doing the add on courses of the CELTA like the young learners. Many of which are held in Bandung.

I say go for it and head for Bandung Smile
Ragil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tbilanguageschool.org/

Thoughts anyone?
(I'm surprised it seems not to have appeared previously in this forum.
chezal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Yawn. Reply with quote

Ragil wrote:
http://tbilanguageschool.org/

Thoughts anyone?

Yawn. I can't believe he is still posting a year on. If you look at the lack of comments it suggests that nobody else really cares about this ranting either.

I don't know who the person is who is writing but I would warrant a guess that he's some bored and miserable mid aged expat with an axe to grind. He obviously has nothing else going on in his life. I don't see why he cares he no longer works there so move on. There is more to life than axe grinding.
Ragil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right. And nicely said. Not so many comments. And the comments which do appear are kinda self-serving. It's not a forum as such - - contradictory opinions are ignored.

At the same time, it's an oddly pathological and sustained piece of ... I'm not sure what it is. So vitriolic and angry. And the language is shamelessly emotive and biased. Plus it's horrible but fascinating how technology - the Internet - can be used in a sort of poor man's psy-ops campaign.
princesss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a couple of guys last year who'd worked at TBI bekasi. One of them described it to me as quote "the worst experience of his life". One of them said that they had provided some of the material that ended up on that blog so I think that a lot of the critisisms are legit. Quality control is a problem at a lot of these schools. The main school at Kuningan might be O.K but its a different story out at Bekasi
manifesto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: TBI Reply with quote

I think a lot has changed for TBI in the last few years. I don't think quality control and teacher development are utmost priorities for them at the moment. Although the blog in question might be vitriolic, it seems to be rather accurate; a year old but still contemporary...
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know 2 TBI schools have closed, Semarang and Cengkareng have gone bankrupt. TBI Bekasi is now like a ghost town after all the negative publicity they have received. TBI has lost 2 out of its 3 CELTA trainers, and few expats stay at any of their branches for a 2nd contract. Something has clearly gone wrong though the powers that be are in full denial mode about it. For anyone with an English degree, Wall Street looks by far the better bet. They are booming and have opened 2 large new branches in the last 12 months while TBI is losing schools.

Furthermore, TB has been running a visa scam for years in which they employ unqualified teachers on 'business consultant visas', which you are expressly forbidden to teach on, and lie to prospective employees that this is a legal option. Anyway, they pay something like a measly Rp12 to Rp13 million a month at best, so you won't even be getting $1000 a month. Why work illegally for peanuts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: