Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a simple tattoo...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merging Traffic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Just a simple tattoo... Reply with quote

Wink

I wonder if any folks in here have specific experience regarding exposed tattoos in KSA.

Now, I know I won't be able to show it in the office, but (I'm planning on moving in, in a little while and) I wonder how folks will be when I wear short sleeves.

It's just black and not at all visually offensive to those who inspect it, eg. not a devil, nude chick etc. It's actually quite tasteful... but it is ink.

Any experience in the room? (News reports about footballers will be moot.)

Thanks!!
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Jeddah and teach at KAU. I have a small tat on my upper right, inside arm. Most short-sleve shirts will hide the tat. Every once in a while, if I'm writing on the white board, about 10% can be seen. A few students - when they see it - will say something in jest about it and give me a smile like they "caught" me. Remember, I live in Jeddah. In other parts of KSA, you could run into people that may not like knowing their teacher has a tattoo. I feel the biggest thing you might need to think about is what the staff at your school would do (if anything) when/if they see your tat.

If you have a tat that can be seen when wearing a short-sleve shirt, I would advise you to wear long-sleve shirts. Just my opinion. In general, you should be OK, but there will always be one hard-core student that will not like it if he saw your tat.

Last edited by lcanupp1964 on Sat May 18, 2013 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Merging Traffic,

Here are some discussions about the topic:

http://www.reddit.com/r/saudiarabia/comments/15j2s1/

"I have tattoos/facial piercings/body piercings. Is this a problem?
No. However, it's best to keep tattoos covered, and piercings in non-traditional locations (e.g., the eyebrow, lips) may be frowned upon."

http://www.hziegler.com/articles/saudi-arabia-faq.html

"JEDDAH � Unhealthy practices, some even prohibited in Islam, are slowly creeping into our society; and it will take more awareness, education, and open dialogue to stay alert and stop these problems in their tracks before they spread.

Tattooing is viewed in the west as a harmless form of body art, an aesthetic procedure, a normal part of growing up for most adolescents.

Recently, tattooing has started appearing in Arab and Muslim societies as well. Apparently, it is extremely difficult but not impossible to find a place to get a tattoo done here in the Kingdom.

�It is not so rare and unusual anymore to get a tattoo, maybe not in Saudi Arabia but in other Arab countries.

�The most popular type of tattoo among some young Arab women is to get a permanent eyebrow tattoo to obtain the perfect eyebrow line without having to fret over bushy eyebrow hair,� said one young lady in Jeddah who preferred to withhold her name.

The wise person would look into why the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) explicitly rejected tattooing.

The following Hadith leaves no for debate or controversy.

Abu Juhayfah said: �The Prophet (pbuh) cursed the one who does tattoos, and the one who has a tattoo done.�

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20130125150541

To some extent, it depends on where in Saudi you are, but I'd say it would probably be wise to be discrete,. Even if the "more liberal" locations, you can run into "fundies."

Regards,
John
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Just a simple tattoo... Reply with quote

Merging Traffic wrote:
Wink

I wonder if any folks in here have specific experience regarding exposed tattoos in KSA.

Well, personally I do not have specific experience regarding tattoos, but the
Lebanese "Tattoo King" got jail, and 200 lashes in the Chop-Chop square of the Magic Kingdom! Laughing
http://www.inkedmag.com/blog/lebanese-tattoo-king-gets-jail-200-lashes-saudi-ar/

As far as I known, tattos are not socially approved in the Magic Kingdom, especially tattoos which contain anti-islamic symbols.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do an Internet search on tattoo concealer. It's an alternative to having to wear long sleeves.
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Take your chances and do nothing.
2. Wear long sleeve shirts.
3. Wear some sort of concealer.
4. Have it removed.
5. Get a job in a less conservative country.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep your tatoos covered. If you cannot, KSA might not be an option for you. Piercings are a definite no-no.
Merging Traffic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thoughts folks ~ Especially Icanupp; here's the personal experience I'm looking for. As well, the links to other conversations (reddit?! great conv!) anecdotes and recommendations are definitely valuable.
So thank you~

I'm feeling pretty good about it. The area of Asia that I am in is actually quite conservative and similarly biased against many things (except of course alcohol which I actually look forward to). There are sleeves here that are sold separately, some of which I'll make a point to put in my luggage. (It would take a lot of concealer Nomad Soul, Razz but thank you for the tip.)

Ultimately, what I'm taking from this is that I won't be reflexively deported, but I should keep them covered. I can work with that.

Cheers~ and thank you...
Any other personal experiences will be appreciated to add to this topic. (The links and recommendations above definitely count as appropriate material as they relate directly.) So: Do you have ink? What's your experience?
Cool
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merging Traffic wrote:
It would take a lot of concealer Nomad Soul, Razz but thank you for the tip.

Not necessarily; there are concealers designed specifically to cover tats---some of these products are endorsed by well-known tattoo artists. Don't think of concealers as "make up." Anyway, it would allow you to occasionally wear short sleeves as well as participate in activities like swimming or exercising at the gym without worry of unwanted attention. (Try that with long sleeves!)
Merging Traffic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nomad writes:
it would allow you to occasionally wear short sleeves as well as participate in activities like swimming or exercising at the gym without worry of unwanted attention.

...Arrow

Remarkably good point.
Wink
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The employers are not likely to like it. Not a problem though, just wear long sleeve shirts. Hopefully the airconditioning where you would work is pretty good, temperatures reach 45 sometimes up to 50 outside in the summer in Riyadh.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In formal working environments in KSA, shirts with short sleeves are frowned on. Long sleeves, tie, shoes, not sandals.
Merging Traffic

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
In formal working environments in KSA, shirts with short sleeves are frowned on. Long sleeves, tie, shoes, not sandals.

This I expected. I'm more curious about what the general public will be like if I'm out on the water-front walking in the afternoon, taking in the sights etc. or out in the evening with friends at a restaurant.

Elementally, my thoughts are about the folks who I'm not professionally connected to. I'm fine covering up if need-be. This inquiry is so that I don't inadvertently offend sensibilities (and find what may be an awkward situation as a result.).
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will offend sensibilities. Some will be offended that a pig-eating. alcohol-consuming non-Muslim is in the Arabian Peninsula at all. Some will look on you rather in the way respectable Nipponese look on these guys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza

Aging respectable Scotsmen like me will also give you a wide berth !

Last edited by scot47 on Wed May 22, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
MixtecaMike

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it covered, work hard, make a good impression on everyone, then after a year or two casually mention you don't wear short sleeves in summer because you have a (whatever) on your arm and they will all beg to see it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: