Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Opportunities in Lima

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horizon1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Teaching Opportunities in Lima Reply with quote

I've been reading the posts here on this forum and have done some googling on the basics for living and teaching in Lima.

As a US citizen I can fly from the US to Lima, Peru without a visa and just fill-in the TAM correct?

No problem from the airlines at departure for not having a visa for Peru?

As for teaching in Lima, here is my background:

12 years experience in EFL, continuous, mostly in Asia.

B.A., TEFL Certificate, and an additional tefl course

Cambridge Oral Examiner for YLE, KET, PET, FCE, CAE

US citizen, caucasion, early 40s but look like I'm in my thirties.

I am intermediate Spanish level (although I doubt this is a benefit).

I know that Universities start in March, but I cannot arrive until April.

So perhaps I'll miss the hiring opportunities at Universities.

I'm aware of the average wage: about $5 USD correct? Some get up to $10.

Question:

How much is the average studio apartment in a 'decent' area?

I understand that because of the lower wages that I'll need my own money to get to Peru and then leave, as I don't think saving will be an option. This is for a new experience and also to practice Spanish on my own time.

I enjoy teaching, of course.

How are my chances for an April arrival for Language Centers, corporates and maybe a vacancy at a school?

Thanks to anyone who can answer.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don�t hink the airlines are a problem if you are American or European. Universities isn�t really all that easy to get into, sort of word of mouth. Institutes, both good and bad, will hire you anywhere anytime. For schools you have to look around Christmas time, small chance in April. Lower wages means lower living costs, it equals out to about the same. 500-1000 soles would get get you a nice apartment.

Don�t use Caucasion in your list of "abilities", some places in the world are still backwards enough that it makes it easier to get a job there, but don�t put it in your list.
sistaray

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Opportunities in Lima Reply with quote

Horizon1 wrote:

I'm aware of the average wage: about $5 USD correct? Some get up to $10.

For institutes and corporates brokered by institutes, correct. With your qualifications, I'd advise that you bargain hard and drive your price up. You'll find yourself with colleagues who have a bachelors, no cert, no experience; you may even find yourself with colleagues with less. That's not a knock on them, btw, just reality.

Question:

Quote:
How much is the average studio apartment in a 'decent' area?

Not entirely sure, as I never lived in a 'decent' area while in Lima. I think $250-300?

Quote:
I understand that because of the lower wages that I'll need my own money to get to Peru and then leave, as I don't think saving will be an option.

I'm not so sure about that. If you stick only to institutes, then yeah, saving will be more difficult. But if you're the enterprising sort, with your quals I'd imagine you could gradually build up a list of private students who'll pay you more for classes than the institutes will. Then again, I'm not sure how long you intend on staying.

Quote:
How are my chances for an April arrival for Language Centers, corporates and maybe a vacancy at a school?

I lived in Lima from July - March, a total of 9 months. So I don't have multiple years of experience to back this up, but, I saw no discernible difference in hiring practices by institutes from month to month, other than a lot of classes / privates going on hiatus for the summer. It seemed to me that several of the institutes were in a perpetual state of hiring. As for uni's or schools, I have no idea.

Hope this helped!
Horizon1

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, sistarey.

I�m in South America now working a little and will keep folks posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: