Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who loves you, baby?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Who loves you, baby? Reply with quote

Vaguely interesting article from the BBC about various languages and the terms of endearment employed. Could be interesting to learn what other posters are/have been called by their sig-oth. I am lovingly referred to as 'Vozhd' and, perhaps strangely, as рыбка - 'little fishy'. Can't think why... hic!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22699938
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sweet patootie; my little chickadee; my little kumquat blossom.

Regards,
John
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Who loves you, baby? Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Vaguely interesting article from the BBC about various languages and the terms of endearment employed. Could be interesting to learn what other posters are/have been called by their sig-oth. I am lovingly referred to as 'Vozhd' and, perhaps strangely, as рыбка - 'little fishy'. Can't think why... hic!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22699938

"Little fishy", because you are one little fishy in the sea and if anything goes wrong there are plenty more of them for your other half to choose from! Haha, just joking...

But, actually, I wonder how accurate this article is in daily life. I have never heard this terr�n de az�car (sugar cube) used, but then again I'm not Spanish and it could only be used in specific regions. I've heard cari�o (dear), mi amor (my love) etc but not sugar cube.

And, one thing about Spaniards is that they'll use some of these kinds of expressions to strangers. Take going into the supermarket, sometimes the cashiers will call you guapo (handsome), or even "mi vida" (my life). I find this last one a bit odd to say to a stranger. But, I guess it's like some British people calling people love or darling in the shop.

I thought the typical Japanese one would be the really unsexy "anata" literally meaning "you", used by wives for "dear". Now that I googled this Japanese "tamago..." expression I see this:

Quote:
Todd Gorman : The many languages of love Confused and amused! What the heck, BBC!?!? This article claims that Japanese people call their sweethearts "tamago kato no kao" and further claim this means "egg with eyes". Ummm, NO! lmfao If it means anything, it means, "Egg, Kato's face". (Kato being a family name.) haha I think they're trying to say "tamago gata no kao", which means "egg-shaped face" and is used simply for that - to say that someone's face is egg-shaped. It is most certainly NOT a term of endearment or something you would call your girlfriend! hahaha How the heck did they come up with this one?? It makes me wonder how accurate the others are on their list. Oh the silly British, always trying to amuse themselves with the 'exotic' cultures of the world.

However, this guy obviously isn't a native Japanese speaker, so who knows...
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get "Hey, you !" quite a lot. But then "Biting and scarting is Scots wooing." ("scart" = scratch in Modern Standard Ukanian)

Last edited by scot47 on Thu May 30, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Who loves you, baby? Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:

I guess it's like some British people calling people love or darling in the shop.

Try going to South West England where they call you 'lover' or 'my lover' in shops. I lived in Bristol for a few years, but it still makes me do a double take.
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who loves you, baby? Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
kpjf wrote:

I guess it's like some British people calling people love or darling in the shop.

Try going to South West England where they call you 'lover' or 'my lover' in shops. I lived in Bristol for a few years, but it still makes me do a double take.

Oh really? That's weird! That would probably send a middle-aged Japanese woman into some kind of shock if a shopkeeper said that to her!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: