Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US citizen coming to Germany: Hail Mary Pass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: US citizen coming to Germany: Hail Mary Pass Reply with quote

on another note, remotely related by any stretch of the imag8ination of 8---

I am thinking of coming to Germany - I am a US citizen - and looking for work, fully realizing the slim-to-none chances of finding any.

Reasons why: 4 years in Korea, 1 year in Turkey, and now halfway thru my 1 year contract in Malaysia and not digging the 37 degress/95% humidity, not to mention several other things.

I miss Germany very much, having studied and worked there back in the 80s and 90s for a short stint.

I am 49 years old and just wanting anyone's general advice about where my slim-to-none best chances would be: langauge schools, privates, etc. I have no knowledge of the ESL market in Germany.

All's I has is a BA in English, an unrelated Masters, 5 1/2 years ESL teaching, and no CELTA or other cert.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most teachers on the job market have a CELTA or equivalent cert. No cert, experience limited to outside of Western Europe, and US citizen....

at least you could get a cert, preferably in Germany.

You might try contacting cert course providers in Germany, tell them you are thinking of making this move (and taking their cert course) and ask them what they think your chances are, and what job search support they can provide.
taxman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gloomyGumi,

I think your only options would be Berlitz, Inlingua, Linguarama or Wall Street. When I first came to Germany I freelanced for Berlitz. My boss at the time had to write a letter saying that they needed me because there was no German that could fill the position. (Berlitz hires only native speakers.) So I freelanced, eventually got a full-time contract and eventually worked as the Local Instructional Supervisor before going to get my CELTA. But, I think this is not the norm, and let me qualify this by saying I was married to a German. She also worked, so we were not dependent on my salary. (For example, when freelancing you can forget making any money in December, January and August.)
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

You might try contacting cert course providers in Germany, tell them you are thinking of making this move (and taking their cert course) and ask them what they think your chances are, and what job search support they can provide.

Ditto this advice. How do things stand now, Gloomy?

scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marry a German.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

Ditto this advice. How do things stand now, Gloomy?

still working in s.e. asia near the equator Rolling Eyes and the 1 season weather is getting to me. would like to go to germany but worried about the tough market and being a NON EU citizen as well.
JN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd still go with Spiral's advice. Bring savings with you, too. It can take time to get into the market.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it like this then?:

1. come to Germany with enough money/bank statement showing I can support myself for say 2 months or so, or 3..........

2. get 2 schools to give me letters saying they will employ me as a freelancer

3. go to Immi with passport, bank statement, and what else????

Next question: where and how much would it cost to rent something temporarily for those 2-3 mos. whilst looking for 2 employment letters? I will be with my wife who will NOT be working nor looking for work.

I mean a hotel for the 1st week is OK, I mean youth hostel!, but for 2-3 months we're gonna have to move into something affordable rather quickly.
JN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'd still go with Spiral's advice, since maybe you'd get some kind of job search support. If you don't plan to get a cert, you might still have a chance of getting work here. I'd probably try other areas besides Berlin for looking for work.
Question 3-You'd probably have to bring proof of your teaching credentials to immigration (Auslaenderbehoerde) and maybe some other stuff. Just check when you get here or check the website of the local Auslaenderbehoerde. Searching though toytowngermany.com may help answer some of the basic questions of living here.

Where and how much would it cost to live here in Germany? Where do you want to live in Germany? You'd have to decide on that first. I don't really know about temporary places, as I had a friend I could stay with until I found a place of my own.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anywhere in Germany is OK. ALso, what is a nice decent affordable certification program in Germany---I cannot find anything about this anywhere.
JN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what affordable is to you, but have you tried to type into a search engine, CELTA Germany? I did. I came up with a school in Frankfurt and I know that there is at least one in Hamburg (at least it's been advertised) and Berlin (Berlin School of English).
Whether they're nice and decent, I can't say, as I've never done a CELTA.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would really like not to do one too Smile But I fear my 5 years English teaching experience, BA in ENglish and unrealted Masters would not be enough in Europe, as I have heard a cert is required generally.
JN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have an MATESOL. That's why I haven't done a CELTA.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MATESOL......where did you do it?
JN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IUP- Indiana University of PA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: