Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TBI The Boston Institute
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: TBI The Boston Institute Reply with quote

There now appears to be 2 different TBIs operating in Indonesia. As well as TBI (The British Institute), there is also TBI (The Boston Institute). This is a break-off school which used to be TBI Malang. There have long been rumors that many of the school owners are very unhappy with TBI and some of their investors have now pulled the plug. TBI Semarang has closed outright and TBI Malang has jumped ship. (TBI Cengkareng, you might recall, went belly up a couple of years ago).

Malang is a nice town without many other employment options, so it is interesting that this new school has opened there. I wonder what people make of the fact that there are now 2 TBIs. Do you think The Boston Institute might prove a serious challenger?

http://thebostoninstitute.com/portofolio.html

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this post an advertisement for The Boston Institute? If so, you might want to rethink your marketing strategy.
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if EF2 will be opening soon! Probably not I guess. Doesn't TBI have copyright over its own name? Strange days for TBI I swear.
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, it's a thinly veiled TBI bashing thread. Carry on then.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is to inform people that there is a new player in the field. There are now 2 TBIs. As TBI (The British Institute) now has no school in Malang, people wanting to work in this pleasant city might want to consider The Boston Institute instead. Simple as that. I haven't worked for The Boston Institute, so this isn't even a recommendation. I merely said that Malang is a nice town. I have talked to the manager of the school and I am passing along what he said. But isn't sharing info what forums are all about?

As for Jef Dam's angry rebuke, I'm not sure why the mere mention of The British Institute raises hackles these days, but it sure does. Every perceived slight or criticism seems to be shouted down. And as for thinly disguised "TBI bashing", surely this is a bit rich from someone who's previous post included a list of reasons people wouldn't want to work at EF Bekasi. By your own criteria, this sounds like "EF bashing", no?

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Toast

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

princesss wrote:
I wonder if EF2 will be opening soon!

"English Second" would be an awesome name for a spin off chain.
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toast wrote:
princesss wrote:
I wonder if EF2 will be opening soon!

"English Second" would be an awesome name for a spin off chain.

Haha. And probably quite accurate! Some people might even prefer "English Absolutely Last".
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No anger here, Bradleycooper. No need to be so defensive about your intentions. I was pointing out that if it is an advertisement it's pretty poor as the post mostly focuses on slagging off The Boston Institute's former parent company. Also, I'm pretty sure that this websites main revenue stream is paid job advertisements, so you might run afoul of the board admin, if it were an advert, of course.

If you're simply TBI bashing then go for it, nobody is heckling you, it's a forum and people are entitled to praise and bash whatever they want. If you're simply passing on a message for a third party about a company that you haven't worked for, then that's fine too.

Re: EF thread - Not bashing them at all, making an educated guess about the laughable contract stipulations that a poster in that thread made mention of. If someone would like to correct me in the appropriate thread then by all means do.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an advertisement of course. Just letting people know that this new TBI exists. As for "slagging off" the old TBI, saying that multiple branches have closed within months is merely telling the truth. The fact that TBI Malang, TBI Semarang and TBI Cengkareng have all closed is something people need to know. Personally, it would affect my decision if I was considering a job offer with them at this point. It doesn't inspire confidence.

As for your "educated guesses" about EF Bekasi, they sound like "unsubstantiated accusations" to me. Furthermore, why are you getting made with me for questioning TBI, Def Jam, when you are currently "EF bashing" on another thread yourself? Finally, in terms of the advertising point, I guess they have full time moderators on here to take care of that sort of thing. Or perhaps you have your own reasons for hoping this thread will be taken down?

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, if it's an advertisement it's poor and runs the risk of being moderated. Take whatever you want from that. If you're having a pop of TBI (having just looked at your post history it seems that most of your posts are about TBI, and very negative) I have zero problem with that, so carry on.

As for the EF thread, I've worked for EF in the past, I know people who have worked in that particular branch, and EF's employment terms are pretty widely known in Indonesia. But we can discuss that in the appropriate thread, if you wish.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef dam wrote:
As I said, if it's an advertisement it's poor and runs the risk of being moderated. Take whatever you want from that. If you're having a pop of TBI (having just looked at your post history it seems that most of your posts are about TBI, and very negative) I have zero problem with that, so carry on.

As for the EF thread, I've worked for EF in the past, I know people who have worked in that particular branch, and EF's employment terms are pretty widely known in Indonesia. But we can discuss that in the appropriate thread, if you wish.

Uhuh, so you say IF it's an ad (which it obviously isn't), it's poor. Then you say IF it's a pop at TBI I can carry on? IF you don't even know IF it's an ad or a pop, then why are you so invested in this?

And as for the EF stuff, first you say that you are venturing a guess, now you say that you know people who work there. Why don't you have the facts if you know people who work there? Why are you venturing guesses?
More to the point, have you ever worked for TBI The British Institute? Do you work for them currently? They have been accused of posting multiple fake positive reviews on here.
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That went from zero to incoherent quickly............. Shocked
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now he pretends not to understand. Half the time you claim this post is an ad for The Boston Institute. The other half of the time you claim it is a pop at TBI.

Which one is it? You seem to want to have it both ways.

Also have you worked for TBI (The British Institute)? A simple question.

I recognize Def Jam from Living in Indonesia Forum, where you were also defending TBI last year. Here's the link to your defense of TBI in another forum. Hmm. What's your stake in this Def Jam?

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.org/archive/index.php/t-23022.html?s=17454fb2cb139dd80e873247275ffa37
jef dam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, 'tis yourself. I should have realized. Carry on.
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very disappointing that TBI Bekasi did not pay full wages and even made death threats against some teachers and the company would just deny responsibility. It's a fact that complaints have been made and nothing has been done but trying to denounce the ones who speak out. It is widely known in the TEFL community in Jakarta that TBI Bekasi is a rogue school. No one wants to work there now. Still TBI keeps the place open.

Hopefully this TBI Boston Institute will give the old TBI a bit of shake up and they will mend their ways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: