Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is your salary enough? (Spain, Italy, France)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
japanman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Is your salary enough? (Spain, Italy, France) Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have a simple but maybe rather difficult question. I have been looking at the jobs on offer in Spain, Italy and France and notice the salaries around around 1,000-1,300 euros a month.
Is this kind of salary enough to lead a decent life? ie going out for dinner once a week, eating well at home and being able to save for a holiday sometimes?
Any info would be great. I have looked at cost of living indicators etc but they are usually rubbish.
Cheers.
peaches604

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends where you live. I live in a small town just outside of Bergamo and I teach in Bergamo and sometimes in Milano. If you live in a smaller town, your expenses will be significantly less.

Living in Milano on a 1000 euro salary is impossible.
Sublime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, yep, yep. Like in any Country it depends where you live. So you'd have to be much more specific.

Personally I'd consider myself fairly rich on 1,300 a month Razz
japanman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you would feel rich on 1,300 a month is very good news indeed. I am looking to move to any of those three countries and in a city big enough for my wife to find a job also. It has has to be big enough to have some Japanese restaurants for her to apply to work in etc.

To 'sublime', where do you live to make 1,300 enough money per month.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain, Italy and France don't need to pay high salaries as many teachers are attracted by the weather/cuisine of the country.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: sorry for the bad news but....... Reply with quote

EFL jobs in Europe pay you subsistence wages. Cheap room/small flat, basic groceries and that's about it. Central Europe was cool until it joined the EU then bacame expensive and local teachers could live in the UK, return home and speak English like the natives.

Nope. Europe is a wash out. I work in the Middle East and make $100,000pa.

Actually, 20 years into this EFL gig, I look back and wonder; 'What was I thinking?'
spaceman spiff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make decent money in Spain, especially in the big cities but you've really got to work for it. France is harder, but there are many opportunities in Paris (though steep start-up costs). Dunno about Italy.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1300 euros would be okay for living out in the sticks or in a farmhouse. Italy, Spain and France aren't so cheap, especially for groceries and eating out.

As a working holiday or jaunt in Tuscany I would do it for six months. Long term I would be moving elsewhere..
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 1300 net or gross in France? If it's gross in France, it's actually really low (net is after huge social charges but before tax which is paid the next year)

In Spain, it's actually good outside Madrid/Barcelona and not bad in Madrid.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone is 2,500 Euros monthly a good salary for teaching English in Torremolinos, Malaga in Spain? Shocked Shocked
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello everyone is 2,500 Euros monthly a good salary for teaching English in Torremolinos, Malaga in Spain? Shocked Shocked

It sounds suspiciously high to the point of being a scam. Is that with an international school?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe EFL Educator was spoofing our recently-departed troll, mingvase/gamze/Elliot_spencer, who was always posting that he'd just received some offer at some amount of money, at a highly improbably rate and country spread.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary offered is legitimate... YES it is teaching at an international school in Torremolinos, Malaga, Andalucia as an EFL teacher. The school has been established on the Costa Del Sol for almost 45 years. On top of this salary they are also offering an accomodation alowance of 500 Euros monthly!!! Very Happy
Dancebiscuits

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and taught in Rome, and my basic salary was 1,000 Euros a month, which I supplemented with private lessons at about 20 euros an hour.

- My rent (one quite big room in a pleasant shared apartment) was 600 Euros a month including bills, and I had to pay one month in advance as a deposit.
- My mobile phone credit was about 30 euros a month.
- Groceries and eating and drinking out cost me about 400 Euros a month
- Trains and buses were cheap and I was able to walk to work.
- Flights home to the UK, if booked well in advance, were about 120 Euros.

So yeah, I was cutting it fine and living a bit more like a student than I would care to in my own country, and at my age now. At home, I prefer to live alone, run a car, save for a rainy day and generally not count the pennies too much.

If a sudden expense comes up (like an emergency flight home, or your shoes/phone/clothes need replacing), you'll find yourself dipping into savings.

However, it was a lot of fun and I just about managed for a year or so.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I wasn't paying any tax because my employer was paying me, and all my colleagues, under the table. I think that's quite common in Italy. Not that I condone that at all, but you might need to factor that into your budget.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in Italy, but in the sticks. That means I have to run a car and it's massively expensive...

If your wife needs Japanese restaurants, then you're looking at cities rather than the small town where I am. At least in Italy - don't know for Spain and France.

I might also add that Japanese restaurants aren't cheap, which means you should be looking at more than entry-level salary. It's going to be hard for your wife to find work if she isn't also EU / British nationality - unless she can find work under the table or she sets up her own business, etc. (Not that I recommend that, esp in Italy, where taxes are horrendously high.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: