Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working and living in Solo. Info/advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gilbertld

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Working and living in Solo. Info/advice? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I'm looking into teaching in Solo starting in January. I'd like to get some insider info on what to expect living there as well as any info on good/bad schools. From what I can tell IELC seems like a good school, but I haven't been able to find many reviews on it. Does anyone know anything about them or other schools in the area? It seems that pay starts around 8,000,000 IDR with housing provided. I know Solo is incredibly cheap, but I want to make sure this is actually a livable salary. I'd appreciate ANY info!

As a side note, I have a BA and will have a CELTA or equivalent certification before going there.
princesss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years, the only option for expats in the Yogya-Solo area was EF and they paid low wages. It is encouraging that more jobs seem to opening up in Solo especially. Now 8 million is a pretty low wage by international standards but it is as much as you would get at EF Jakarta and costs in Solo are lower than Jakarta (though less for an expat who shops in the supermarket than a low-income Indonesian who shops in the traditional market).

Can you live on this wage? It depends. Many 20 something party-goers burn through their EF wage in 2 or 3 weeks in Jakarta. If you want to party hard, then it isn't enough. If you are content with a few beers on the weekend, you can get by. It is enough to eat well and have a social life (movies and a few drinks and restauarnts etc), it is not enough to party like it's 1999. Don't think you can go flying to Bali every weekend for example.

On the plus side Central Java is culturally rich whereas Jakarta is just a bunch of malls full of mall-rats on Blackberrys. You can do an infinite variety of day trips to temples, waterfalls and hill stations around Jakarta, though you will have to share them with crowds of Indonesian holiday makers at times. If you want to see Java and meet some nice people, you could enjoy it. If you are looking for a good-paying job or to save money, this is not the position for you.
gilbertld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm a pretty frugal person in general and am really not looking to party. I want to visit Jakarta, just so I can see it, but I have no desire to live there. I think Solo is just the pace I'm looking for. I'd rather hang out casually with people, try the local restaurants and such. I would like to be able to take trips here and there though. Occasional day or weekend trips to see the rest of Indonesia mostly. I'd like to be able to set aside a little money so that I can possibly leave the country when I have longer holiday time.

Thanks again for all the info! Getting a better idea of what it's like over there is very helpful.
princesss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great places to visit in Central Java. It has Prambanan and Borobudur, the best temples that side of Angkor Wat. From Solo you can go up to Candi Sukuh, a small Maya-like pyramid. Also in this area is Tawangmangu, which has many small guesthouses. You can go hiking there and see the tallest waterfall in Java. Solo is only about 3 hours by minibus from Seamarang, a large modern city on the coast. Yogya is the main tourist town on Java and it is only an hour away by the morning express train. It is only about 6 hours by train from Surabaya, Indonesia's second city. In other words, it is a central city. Solo is quiet and has less traffic than other Javanese cities, and there are plenty of good local restaurants- Solo roat chicken is a favorite of mine. From what you have said, I think you will probably enjoy a year in Solo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: