Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing an appl essay w/o shooting yourself in the foot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Augustus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Writing an appl essay w/o shooting yourself in the foot Reply with quote

Describe in some detail your views in teaching english as a foreign language.

I have a draft but wondered if anyone had any ideas I hadn't covered. I've covered

- my personal feelings about teaching english as a foreign language
- methodology stating that I am aware of other methods, mentioning the common factors; just in case the one I was taught on the CELTA course isn't one who follows this method
- how I'm getting experience as a volunteer and how I am developing a teacher

Further ideas welcomed.

Aug
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your classroom work, things that you already enjoy. Areas that you feel you need to develop (I presume this is an application for a course; if for a job, then tone this down if you decide to use this option at all). Specific areas of difficulty at the moment (definitely only for a course, not a job).

What you think your current teaching style is like.
Augustus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

The essay is for a job in a large organisation of schools and I was worried about stating that I follow X, Y and Z teaching methodology and the organisation deciding that I wouldn't be suitable as I wouldn't fit with their methodology.

I'm concerned about the "in some detail" part too - how long do you think is about right? I was aiming for between 500 - 750 words as I guess the employer will have lots of these to read and I don't want to bore them.

Augustus
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was worried about stating that I follow X, Y and Z teaching methodology and the organisation deciding that I wouldn't be suitable as I wouldn't fit with their methodology. "
Sorry, but your methodology is what they've asked for. However, they do offer you the get-out of knowledge of other methods, thus showing that you can adapt to other ways of working.

Re detail: not everything in the textbook, but something which shows your understanding of the subject.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustus, you're very much a beginner and certainly need not tell them that you are wedded to any particular methodology. You can easily say that you've practiced ABC and XYZ, and have an interest in continuing to broaden your knowledge of approaches and methods in future.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is the need to commit, then commit to communicative, maybe content-based as well as an interest, maybe also project-driven. For knowledge, maybe multiple intelligences (also mentioning perhaps that there is limited evidence in favour of this. Avoid things like Direct Response and NLP; don't come over as 'weird teacher' yet.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd include something to the effect that you realise that you are a novice and will require DoS support. But emphasise that you are a quick study and are very open to feedback and are looking forward to developing as a teacher in their institution etc.

I'd also mention how eye-opening it was for you to learn how important it was to consider English lesson-planning from the point of view of the learner, rather than the teacher, and so setting achievable aims for them is vital. Mention something else about your learning to reduce teacher-talking-time.

Depending on where you are applying, though, it really might not make a whole lot of difference.

Good luck.
Augustus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - fab advice. Hoping to get it done and submitted this afternoon.

Sasha - why might it not make a difference? I know I am a novice but everyone has to start somewhere .... how do school expect teachers to begin their career?

I applied for a school in Manchester to take place in Chethams School of Music; it was such a straight forward application and I know it begins tomorrow - massive disappointment that they haven't offered me a place. I even emailed asking for feedback and got nothing back.

Augustus
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not matter too much depending on what institution you are applying to, because the recruitment department may not even bother to read your essay.

EFL professionalism, especially with regard to recruitment runs the whole gamut - from typically businesslike sleekness to woefully incompetent. I do not know which places you are applying to, but you should not automatically think that the person dealing with applications knows what they are doing.

In all cases though, I'd never expect any feedback on rejection. It is a rare HR manager who would be kindly enough to inform you of that. Or brave enough.

Anyway, you should not allow yourself to be too disappointed. Keep plugging away with your applications. And you might consider a follow-up phone call to schools too. Usually a direct communication can help you to stand out from the rest of the applicants.

Good luck!
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The job market is flooded with applicants in Anglophone countries; most of us moved away from home for this very reason. I'm not sure what your obligations are in England, but you might want to take the big step of going elsewhere to get your initial experience. Few ESL teachers start at home.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also important to consider how being a new teacher is sometimes an advantage, particularly with schools that use a specific method (such as Berlitz). Seasoned teachers sometimes have hard habits to break. As spiral points out, make your "disadvantage" work in your favour! Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustus wrote:
I know I am a novice but everyone has to start somewhere .... how do school expect teachers to begin their career?

As some of us suggested in one of your previous threads, you can start by doing 3-6 months of volunteer teaching in your city; this will help build your confidence and skills. Then, as Santi advised, head overseas for your first "real" teaching job. That's where you'll begin your career---that's where the jobs are.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When applying to schools, it is also worth checking out the faculty/staff section of the website. A quick search of this music school's staff section shows that the English/ESL staff consists of people with master's degrees. I'm not saying to not apply to places like that, but I would be wary of investing too much time in specific applications where you are probably under-qualified. Not a dig, I am under-qualified for that position too!
Augustus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote] As some of us suggested in one of your previous threads, you can start by doing 3-6 months of volunteer teaching in your city; this will help build your confidence and skills. Then, as Santi advised, head overseas for your first "real" teaching job. That's where you'll begin your career---that's where the jobs are.[/quote]

I am doing this ... unfortunately even here there are requirements and I have only managed to get a position as a Language Assistant rather than an actual teacher. I'm finding that I'm not really getting a great deal out of it though, the lady who teaches the class would not have been "passed" on my CELTA course - they must maintain a different standard elsewhere! Teaching to the few, vocabulary in isolation, endless boring worksheets not to mention some very strange behavior which I think she thinks is helpful but is mainly confusing....

Anyway, she decided "it was too much trouble" to find cover for the classes she couldn't do over the summer so they are pausing things until September anyway.

I did hint that I may be able to commit to doing some sessions ... but that was quickly rebuked lol.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augustus wrote:
... unfortunately even here there are requirements and I have only managed to get a position as a Language Assistant rather than an actual teacher. I'm finding that I'm not really getting a great deal out of it though, the lady who teaches the class would not have been "passed" on my CELTA course - they must maintain a different standard elsewhere!.

I'm with Santi on this. Find a better caliber of teaching situation---preferably a recognized, nonprofit organization versus a profit-making language school. My local TESOL affiliate was a great resource in providing me with leads on refugee ESL and literacy organizations in my area.

When I volunteered, I didn't start out as an actual teacher; I was a teaching assistant/classroom tutor. My goal was to assist but also to observe and learn from the classroom instructor. Moreover, I was very clear about my intentions when I started researching places to volunteer at. I was perceived as serious and committed and therefore, was placed in classrooms with teachers best suited to my needs and interests.

The nonprofit ESL/literacy organization I chose was staffed by seasoned teachers with relevant master's degrees, and new volunteers were expected to attend orientation and training. Within a few weeks of volunteering, I was eased into teaching parts of the lesson (under the watchful guidance of the classroom teacher) and eventually, weeks later, I was on my own, often teaching an entire 2-hour class for absent instructors.

I viewed that overall volunteer experience as unpaid yet invaluable teacher training. In my case, it became the teaching environment for the requisite ESOL practicum for my grad degree program. Anyway, point is, this is the type of volunteer situation you should be looking for. Make it work for you and not the other way around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: