Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the highest paying ESL/TESOL country???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrestler7902002 wrote:
One of the highest monthly ESL salaries is in Saudi Arabia. About 3,600 USD a month, with free accommodations with internet, air con, etc. Transportation provided to and from work. Round trip airfare, full medical insurance, one month paid vacation, and about 1 month national holidays (paid) etc. Teachers at universities like myself only teach about 3 to 4 hours per day with the weekends on Thursday and Friday.

The only expense is the food which is super-Western oriented (Mc Donalds, Herfy,s Pizza Hut, (for me, about $150 USD a month)....oh, and the entire salary is TAX-FREE...also, not much to spend money on...since there are no movie cinemas, no alcohol, no entertainment, etc....excellent way to save 95% of salary and send back home....Those teachers with doctorates in any subject can earn 4,500 to well over 5,000 USD a month, tax-free. Better yet, teach ESL for Aramco and earn upwards of 100,000 USD a year plus an additional 65% of your base salary for accommodations...all tax free, of course! Oh, I forgot to mention that at the universities here, students get paid by the government to take classes at the universities. Amazing!

Generally true but a couple of figures I would dispute. Even in the wastelands of Saudi most teachers I knew were spending 300 USD a month on food/living. It would be more in the big cities.. Still not a lot, though. If you were cooking for yourself and staying in every night then maybe 150 USD is achievable? Pizza Hut is expensive with pizzas costing 50 riyals or so..

The latest Aramco salaries are around 90,000 USD including accommodation.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:

The latest Aramco salaries are around 90,000 USD including accommodation.

is that direct hire you are talking about and, if so, how did you get that figure?
deanwalles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: NEWBIE-Over 50-Where are the best opportunities? Reply with quote

I am looking to start a teaching ESL career post 50, and want to know where the best opportunities might be. Income is important, but lifestyle more so.

I have a BS in Business with Business TEFL cert. I have sales and marketing experience, along with construction and technology background.

Thailand looks appealing, in terms of lifestyle, but it also looks like they only want youngsters, and offer low pay.

Taiwan, South America and Europe appeal to me as well. I am more inclined to a warm climate. Saudi Arabia pays well, but little social life, and I want some nightlife.

Thanks...
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE-Over 50-Where are the best opportunities? Reply with quote

deanwalles wrote:
I have a BS in Business with Business TEFL cert. I have sales and marketing experience, along with construction and technology background.

What did your business TEFL entail? Also, did you complete it online or via onsite instruction?
h-train

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of niche 6 figure jobs in ESL, but you won't find them online. The people that have them hoard them and it's all word of mouth. Most important is surrounding yourself with people that want to make money and avoid those who are looking for a captive audience for their poetry readings.
Bolt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: NEWBIE-Over 50-Where are the best opportunities? Reply with quote

deanwalles wrote:
I am looking to start a teaching ESL career post 50, and want to know where the best opportunities might be. Income is important, but lifestyle more so.

Thailand looks appealing, in terms of lifestyle, but it also looks like they only want youngsters, and offer low pay.

Taiwan, South America and Europe appeal to me as well. I am more inclined to a warm climate. Saudi Arabia pays well, but little social life, and I want some nightlife.

Thanks...

It certainly would not be teaching in China! 85 Countries pay higher salaries than China and only 23 pay lower wages, but China has the most unpaid overtime and the most scams anywhere. I sincerely suggest that if you come to China you open a hot dog stand as you would earn 10 times more money than teaching. Here are some helpful links in case someone tries to blow smoke up your ass about China...

http://www.lovetefl.com/online-tefl-courses/top-5-tefl-teaching-destinations/

http://www.chinascambusters.com

http://www.expatfocus.com/top-seven-misconceptions-about-teaching-abroad

http://chinaforeignteachersunion.org

http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2012/01/23/top-5-countries-for-teaching-english-abroad-that-arent-in-asia/

http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2013/09/11/cftu_reports_18_drop_in_esl_china_foreign_teachers_in_2013
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ and bear in mind the above poster is currently operating under numerous identities posting ridiculous links (which often dont work) to various blogs and other sites promoting a non-existent union.He also never replies with sensible observations about the crazy links posted.

China has it faults .. but I would challenge anyone to name 85 countries that pay TEFL teachers with minimal qualifications more than China, a country where the barriers to entry are extremely low and jobs are plentiful. Yep ... China certainly has its problems ... money probably isnt the main one though.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: actual pay Reply with quote

curioustraveler wrote:
Just giving a best guess... Could you give me some dollar figures for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest paying places to teach with a Master's? Thanks.

Saudi=$$$$

Oman=$$$

Dubai/UAE=$$$

Any questions?
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: actual pay Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
curioustraveler wrote:
Just giving a best guess... Could you give me some dollar figures for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest paying places to teach with a Master's? Thanks.

Saudi=$$$$

Oman=$$$

Dubai/UAE=$$$

Any questions?

Qatar = $$$$ in both salary and savings (assuming you can stay away from the hotel bars).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: