Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best CELTA course in Europe for an American?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttiballi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Best CELTA course in Europe for an American? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking to do a CELTA course in Europe and secure work afterwards. My timeline is August/September, with hopes of getting a job this Autumn.

First, a little background. I am an American citizen, and am in the process of obtaining Italian/EU citizenship via ancestry, but my meeting with the Italian Consulate is not until February 2014. If successful, I wouldn't get full blown dual citizenship until sometime next spring. I have an MSc in an unrelated field (Archives/Museums/Libraries) from the University of Glasgow. I have 1.5 years experience working as a TOEFL tutor in the US and UK, and teaching ESL at the Immigration Services Center in Philadelphia.

My questions are these:

1) Am I correct in assuming that the best way to find a job in Europe is by doing a CELTA course in the country where I would like to work, and applying for jobs during/after the course? If so, does anyone know of any particularly well-connected schools, where placement rates are favorable?

2) As I will not have EU citizenship until next Spring at the earliest, I run the risk of a gap between the end of my 90 days and the time when my Italian passport is issued. I understand that there are some places where this can go more smoothly than others. Does anyone know which countries/areas might be the most lenient in a situation like this? Alternatively, I've heard some places are better than others at finding employers who will offer work visas for employees (Prague?). Which countries are the easiest to go the legal route in, while lacking an EU passport?

3) This is more of a longshot and might be more appropriate in my OTHER Italian genealogy forum, but is there any wisdom on the work restrictions for a US citizen in the process of applying for Italian citizenship via Jure Sanguinis while working in Italy? One plan might be to gather my relevant materials to prove ancestry, take a CELTA course IN Italy, hope to find work (probably illegally) afterwards, and apply for citizenship IN Italy while I am there.

I'm new to all this and have had trouble finding these exact answers elsewhere on the site, so any advice/help/bumps would be warmly received, as we are fastly approaching the timetable to get started on CELTA with hopes of employment this upcoming year.

Thanks!

Last edited by ttiballi on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Which countries are the easiest to go the legal route in, while lacking an EU passport?

Hello, ttiballi,

I would move this part of your query to the General Europe Forum for greater exposure. My own suggestion would be Germany, or one of the Central European countries. There are a number of threads on the Germany Forum from North Americans who have worked legally in Germany. I've done it, and frankly I don't know if I'd want to deal with the bureaucratic process again. But I suppose you could consider it training wheels for the Italian process, which you will find many times more frustrating.

Quote:

but is there any wisdom on the work restrictions for a US citizen in the process of applying for Italian citizenship via Jure Sanguinis while working in Italy?

You probably want to post this and other parts of your #3 question on the Italy forum. However, you might do well to look at the Expats in Italy forum, as well. According to posters there, it is possible to obtain a PdiS while a citizenship via Jure Sanguinis application is pending, assuming the application is deemed meritorious. However, I don't know whether permission to work will be granted on this type of PdiS. (My best guess is that it would not.) But you don't want a guess, so ask those who will know.

emmett grogan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to go to the USA and work illegaly. Can you help me?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the OP is being pretty realistic and that the plan he/she has laid out is feasible. It makes sense to start out in a country where a US citizen can still get a legal work permit, so Czech Rep, Slovakia, Poland are good choices. As pointed out, Germany is not impossible, but it's difficult.

Quote:
1) Am I correct in assuming that the best way to find a job in Europe is by doing a CELTA course in the country where I would like to work, and applying for jobs during/after the course? If so, does anyone know of any particularly well-connected schools, where placement rates are favorable?

Your assumption is correct, and keep timing in mind. Your maximum chances of finding a job are September, beginning early in the month.
NB: there are no 'placement' schemes on this continent. No training centre is going to find you a job. What they WILL do is put you in touch with reputable local schools. You are still on your own for interviewing, teaching demo lessons, negotiating contracts for work, and all the other details of getting a new job organized. Most schools will assist with finding housing, but it's fairly unusual that a school actually has housing for teachers, though a few do.

Basically, any CELTA or equivalent course (120+ horus on site, and including supervised teaching with real students) will be well-received in this area. The only real distinction between CELTA and the equivalent courses is the name brand - if you go for a generic, you will need to ensure that you clearly state the hours and teaching practice on your cover letter and CV - though if you do a course in Prague specifically, any of the providers currently here will be well-known to local employers and there won't be many/any questions.

Just don't try to get into this job market with an online cert.

Quote:
2) As I will not have EU citizenship until next Spring at the earliest, I run the risk of working illegally. This would not be ideal, but I understand that there are some places where it works more smoothly than others. Does anyone know which countries/areas might be the safest to risk this? Alternatively, I've heard some places are better than others at finding employers who will offer work visas for employees (Prague?). Which countries are the easiest to go the legal route in, while lacking an EU passport?

The old loopholes of border runs no longer exist in Western/Central Europe. US citizens get 90 days inside the Schengen zone (google if you're not familiar) and then they have to leave for 90 days to re-start the legal stay. In the past, a simple run across a border to get a stamp would re-start the 90 days.
Simply, not recommended to go the illegal route these days. Too much risk of getting caught and deported, with a big stamp banning one from the EU for up to 10 years.
NOT a cool scenario for someone applying for citizenship in an EU country - being caught living/working illegally is highly unlikely to be considered a positive by the authorities, obviously!!

The Czech Rep, Poland, Slovakia, and possibly Germany offer some legal options for US citizens. Make your life easier and safer, and go for a legal job until your Italian citizenship is approved.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever course you take, make sure that they offer visa and job support. Without these two things, you'll have a very difficult time finding work and getting legal. Some courses offer great services, other courses offer literally nothing. CELTA or Not, check with the school, get a list of recent graduates, find out how many American graduates are actually finding work after the course and check out what the school does to help you with all of this. If the school can't offer you assistance and clear evidence/support in this area, you should ignore them.

CELTA and Trinity, while recognized, are not accredited for Job or Visa assistance. Some TEFL courses offer great post job and visa help, some offer nothing. Check first before signing up!

Cheers,
Chris
The Language House TEFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: