Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does one pay c.card bills/bills when overseas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Interested

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: How does one pay c.card bills/bills when overseas? Reply with quote

- Credit cards bills:
Most US card companies state that they
will "send only one statement to one address."
How does one pay when travelling overseas? If travelling
to several cities in one month, the statement
may not catch up with one in time. What about other bills & statements?
Thank you
earth_dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have access to a computer, you can bank on line. I've been overseas for over a year and have done all my banking by computer without any problems. This includes credit cards, loan payments and deposits to retirement savings funds.
elainenatal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a cheque book on your bank accounts? You can give a forwarding address and have your bills sent to you and then pay by cheque. Also, when I've been overseas, I've always left some money with my sister or a close relative and they have paid any outstanding bills that came in after I left - or I've asked my sister to pay and I've reimbursed her.
Some banks allow direct deductions from your bank account from some companies such as utility providers, does this happen in your country? If so, you could make all arrangements with your bank before you leave.

Last edited by elainenatal on Thu May 01, 2003 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my father is nice enough to do it for me.
I have an account with a credit union in the US, and we have a joint checking account. I send him money, which he deposits.

Brooks
usfemme

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a strong supporter of paying online. You can receive statements via e-mail (your account number is not enclosed for security reasons). I access my checking account and pay bills online. Also, my bank has a fantastic system that they will write checks to anyone and send them free-of-charge ( in the US only)! So, if I have a one-time charge or a company cannot accept online payments, I access my checking account online and tell them where to send the check.

Very neat and convenient.
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been able to get my account balance by phone (there is a number for general inquiries on the back of the card) and then I just send a cheque from wherever I happen to be.
chuckie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: on-line Reply with quote

I've not touched a check or a statement in years. Usually your balance and due date is online. Also, sign up with a great bank like First Internet Bank of Indiana (firstib.com) - they have a free billpay set up. So you just go online, get your balance and due date and set up paymment with firstib. You can even set up an ongoing payment if you are too busy or remote for a few months. You can even open your account there with your CREDIT CARD! wow! You do need a permanent usa address though - but no problem as you can just get statements online - you don't have to have them mailed to you.
yeeee hawww!
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I usually do all of my banking online, but if I am on vacation and away from computers with 128bit encryption, then I use the phone and cheque method.
chuckie

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: the point being Reply with quote

Well, the real point is that it is unwieldy to have to do telephone and check stuff.

Getting set up online is easy - it is already there waitng for you to take advantage for it. Any bank with an online bill pay will allow you to set it up and make certain minimum payments regularly - without any additional input.

You could literally disappear for two years and still have your billpay make regular monthly payments for you. Mine sends my mom a check every month - and has been doing so for years with no additional input from me.

Most good online banks like Firstib.com also will give you an international ATM card that works everywhere - just an additional benefit.

On some of the other comments:
My experience, after almost 15 years overseas, is that you can't really trust your family or friends to take care of your finances for you - and it only ends up straining your relationships.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Depends Reply with quote

The Net probably is the best way to go, but while I generally agree with chuckie's comment:
" you can't really trust your family or friends to take care of your finances for you - and it only ends up straining your relationships. "
the fact is I've been having all my financial stuff done for me for the past ten years by a friend, and it's been entirely trouble-free ( for me ) and has put no strain whatsoever upon our relationship. So, I guess it does depend some on you, your friend/relative and just how much trust you have in the integrity and dependability of the designated party.
Regards,
John
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash is King!

I rarely make enough to make it worth saving much but I just convert it into something more reliable and stuff it under the bed (or somewhere 'er indoors won't find it).

I know it's not the best idea in the world but I've got nothing to pay off "back home" and I detest credit cards and cheque books. I have enough free time to go into town and pay the local bills in person. I've always been a bit of a money-worrier and hate having any outstanding debts so I've found, for me personally, that the "if you don't have the cash in your pocket then you can't afford it - get saving or go without" attitude works.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Give me some credit Reply with quote

Dear Mike_2003,
" . . ."if you don't have the cash in your pocket then you can't afford it - get saving or go without" .
A very good attitude, I'd say - one that I share. But in today's world that
way of living isn't always possible for everyone. If you're single, it's easier. But, if you're not, or if you're into investing - in stocks, land, houses, etc., then you've got to have dealings with financial institutions and you have to have credit. Heck, if you want to rent a car, at least in the States, you'd better have a credit card. I hate using them, too - but, after being a long-time hold-out, I now have a couple, which I employ only when necessary and pay off right away. There are, I'd say, few who can live as you've suggested nowadays - but you're fortunate. Keep it up as long as you can.
Regards,
John
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

You are right, it's not suitable for everyone nor indeed possible. I guess it helps that I've never had a credit card in my life. It's probably (as far as I would know...) one of those things that once you get used to having one, it would be hard to go back to not having one.

Cars are similar. Before I passed my driving test I used to walk everywhere or take public transport. After I passed I bought a car and used that all the time. In fact it was ridiculuously expensive - petrol, insurance, services etc, but it becomes a habit. After a year of driving I found I had much less disposable income and had gained about 5kg! Still, if you work far from your home it's a evil that must be tolerated. Luckily I don't need a car any more.

I've found that keeping life as simple as possible keeps me pretty happy most of the time. If I see something I like, I'll put by a little by each month as and when I can afford to until such time as I can buy it. Stops me from buying junk on impulse and then agonizing about it later when the bills roll in. Still, it's horses for courses...
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuckie- I'm not sure what country you are in, but never have I encountered a bank card that works "everywhere". As well, computer banking does require a computer with 128bit encryption. Not available everywhere. I suppose it all depends on where one is going to travel.

If "Interested" is going to be near the necessary technology then he/she should take advantage of it.

Another question to those out there who also use internet banking. I always do my internet banking from my home computer. Are any of you brave enough to use internet cafes or school computers to do your banking? Are there any special safety precautions that you take if using a public computer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: