Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA: International House or British Council?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kygentleman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: CELTA: International House or British Council? Reply with quote

Background: I'm a recent college grad with one year of professional work experience but no teaching background. I'm moving to Colombia to teach English and plan on earning a CELTA with the goal of teaching at the university level.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has completed the CELTA course recently at International House or the British Council. I'm interested in two things:

1) Has IH's program improved and how does it currently compare to the BC's program? There are many negative posts about the IH program on this forum and others, but nothing has been posted within the past two years.

2) Does the British Council have a significantly better reputation or post-CELTA placement record than IH? I realize a CELTA is a CELTA, but I've seen posters describe the British Council as having an excellent reputation in Colombia - I'm wondering if that translates to better job prospects, especially at the university level.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
superteacherIHbogota

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: CELTA: International House or British Council? Reply with quote

Both are very good.

I did mine at IH so I am biased. It costs a bit less at IH and from what I have heard from mates and friends of friends that IH just beats the BC in terms of quality and service.

The 2 tutors they have at the moment (and I don't work with them but they have done some sessions with us) are Magda and Oliver. They are both really good.

Also, I think the BC is moving to partly distance or online courses so if that suits you, I would go there. IH has about 10 courses a year including a few in Medell�n.

I got a job with IH straight after my CELTA. Guess I was lucky and they needed me. I know that that is not always the case but if you get a B or even an A then you might get offered a few hours a week to start with and that usually leads to more especially if you suck up to management and show you are keen like going to the training sessions and being pushy.

BC as far as I know doesn't take people off a CELTA but after 1 year or more at IH you can sometimes get work there but they are very strict with things like 3 observations and a difficult interview. They pay better tan here.

Hope this is useful. I am biased but I would choose IH to do your CELTA.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA: International House or British Council? Reply with quote

superteacherIHbogota wrote:
Both are very good.
IH just beats the BC in terms of quality and service.

ummm...I have positive things to say about my experience working for IH, and I'm sure IH's CELTA is absolutely fine, but there's no way your comment is accurate. First, BC by far beats IH in terms of their on-site resources (books, classroom resources, etc.). There isn't even anything up for discussion here; it's just a fact. I'm also sure IH's tutors are talented and capable (plus, no matter where they work, to be CELTA tutors they have to meet international standards), but BC doesn't just have two tutors, they have an entire staff of tutors, which I think is beneficial for getting a wider variety of input from a greater number of highly qualified people. BC is obviously more expensive.

Also, I think the BC is moving to partly distance or online courses so if that suits you, I would go there. IH has about 10 courses a year including a few in Medell�n.

I've not heard this about the BC and I don't think this is accurate. I've never heard of an online or distance CELTA and I don't think it exists. The BC does run a distance DELTA course, but that's a different, higher qualification.

In the end, I'd say if price is your main concern, go with IH. In the end, it's the same certification. But if you're willing to pay a little extra, my opinion is you'll probably get a little more out of the BC. Being able to put the British Council on your resume will also help you out if you're applying to jobs at any schools that have connections with the BC, as the BC runs teacher training courses and examinations at high schools and universities throughout Colombia.
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont waste your time.

For University you will not need the CELTA. ie The cost and time is not justifiable imo.

For University all you need is a BA and generally some experience teaching in a classroom. A MA is real nice to have.

For getting a Uni gig my advice would be

1) Get to Colombia and find a colegio job.
2) Work that for a year and build up contacts in the Universities in the city.

After your year is up use your contacts to try and get you a job.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA: International House or British Council? Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:

I've not heard this about the BC and I don't think this is accurate. I've never heard of an online or distance CELTA and I don't think it exists. The BC does run a distance DELTA course, but that's a different, higher qualification.

The online (blended) CELTA has been around for a little while now.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-qualifications/celta/ways-to-take-celta/

BC Bogota is an official site for it.
G22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker is correct, BC blows IH away in terms of quality and available resources. I did the CELTA at IH in 2010, it was a huge waste of time and money. The resources and materials they have are terrible, broken copy machines, computers from 2001 and lack of text books are just some of the things you can look forward to at IH.

On top of that, their instructors are sub par and really lack professionalism. They treat the students like they are elementary school kids. If you absolutely want the CELTA (as others have said it is not necessary at all to teach in Colombia) then please do yourself a favor and go somewhere else other than IH. Just my personal experience, I know others have had a more positive experience with them, but mine was pretty awful.
summerrain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question...hope it's ok if I ask here instead of starting a new topic.

Are there any places that offer the CELTA besides IH and BC (and are they worthwhile)? Is Teaching House the same as IH?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

summerrain wrote:
I have a related question...hope it's ok if I ask here instead of starting a new topic.

Are there any places that offer the CELTA besides IH and BC (and are they worthwhile)? Is Teaching House the same as IH?

I'm nearly certain Teaching House and IH are the same. No one else offers the CELTA in Colombia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: