Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cambodia? It doesn't seem so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klamm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Cambodia? It doesn't seem so... Reply with quote

Alright, I've done my reading and followed the other K dude whose nuts about Cambodia.

I'm not convinced. I suspect that living and working in Cambodia is about the freedom to do drugs and sex and generally go wild. Is that really freedom? I don't know, it doesn't healthy to me. If it's what you're looking for than I suppose you know where to go but I do sense that this the major attraction. Sure lots of cultural things and friendly people which plenty of other countries have in their own way. What separates Cambodia is the drugs and sex.

Hm. I love to live and have done my share of that kind of wild (early twenties). I'm glad that I've matured beyond that point and never went to far down... I don't think it's wise to encourage people down that path. Reading and studying is another kind of freedom when you travel and live in other countries. It's a better way. I've watched friends and people "spin out" and I can't say it was something I enjoyed.

A visit to Cambodia seems worth-while but not really the 'trip' for me beyond that.

Just putting a little perspective on the new Cambodia rush.

K.
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klamm,

I agree. I have travelled to Cambodia more than once. You can easily get involved with pretty girls and the freedom to live a 'colonial lifestyle' ie Maids, etc.

It's a great place to visit but I would not want to live there.
struelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cambodia? It doesn't seem so... Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm. I love to live and have done my share of that kind of wild (early twenties). I'm glad that I've matured beyond that point and never went to far down... I don't think it's wise to encourage people down that path. Reading and studying is another kind of freedom when you travel and live in other countries. It's a better way. I've watched friends and people "spin out" and I can't say it was something I enjoyed.

Agreed, and this is a very wise posting. I'd also argue that there's an element of fear in seeking this kind of lifestyle, that is a fear that life is short and you should do the wild living before the chance is gone.

Otoh I'm not into this lifestyle, but I immensely enjoy laid-back cultures and living abroad. This is changing remarkably fast, and my fear is that in 10 years or so the whole world will be Westernized.

Steve
Klamm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some wisdom on this board. Definitely true that people feel time is running out and this adds to more messing people up. I'm 27 and not afraid to get older. It's all in your head. Literature has long pleaded with the western world that the clock, age and the like are the things which make us sick more than the actual accumulation of time and years.

If Whitjohn has done any good it is show young guys that if you want to mess around and be wild you're not running out of time. Do something productive now and when your 60 and for whatever reason feel yourself a failure, look on the brightside: you can find places out there.

But for now read, study the language, and get out there and live. Doesn't make sense to try to prove how easily you can X-number of women, drink, get high and so forth. It's not wild, just a whole lotta weakness.

Most of the "wild" young people are very 'left'. Go work out at that 'blue' then.

"Little boy blue. He did it for the money. Eh!"(Andrew Dice Clay)

"Nancy wore blue stockings, and she slept with everyone." (Leonard Cohen)

I think the thing about this board is that any intelligent or worthwhile post is generally ignored. I guess people like to walk around blindly... "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." The best reason to be clear and alive while abroad perhaps...

Where's Khermit?

K.
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not convinced. I suspect that living and working in Cambodia is about the freedom to do drugs and sex and generally go wild. Is that really freedom? I don't know, it doesn't healthy to me. If it's what you're looking for than I suppose you know where to go but I do sense that this the major attraction. Sure lots of cultural things and friendly people which plenty of other countries have in their own way. What separates Cambodia is the drugs and sex.

Are you saying that you have a problem with drugs and sex? Wink All kidding aside, I think you have a somewhat legitimate point. However, I don't think it is fair to assume that the only reasons people choose to teach English in Cambodia are to chase tail and abuse ketamine. I have quoted an old post from Khmerhit below regarding why he likes Cambodia...notice there is no mention of drugs or sex:

Quote:
Why I like Cambodia

by Khmerhit

Sorry to be a bore, however, someone has asked me in a private message (AND RHONDA ASKED IN A POST) to explain my obsession for this sad little country that I keep banging on about, the pathetic but intriguing parcel of land that sits way out on a limb of the Asian continent.

What, indeed, is so special about Cambodia?

Well, it's got it all--- it's got the heat, the skies, the rain and the dust of southeast asia.

Plus, it's got living history, exciting history, wacky history. It's got a king, a queen, a palace, a religion (a few religions)---all of them tenuously restored after being wiped off the map.

It's got something in the air, it's always on edge, forever simmering, perpetually on the boil...and it's indescribable, whatever it is.

It's got people who are eager to get back on their feet, but their proud and they'll do it anyway they can.

It's got people who laugh in their misery, instead of moaning at their prosperity like we do.

It's got different rules to yours and mine, a completely different sense of subjectivity, family, sometimes a different idea of right and wrong, left and right, up and down.

It's got amazing colours.

It's got interesting characters, and some very interesting expats.

It's got a devil-may-care philosophy, like the Wild West used to be--like Afghanistan, Iraq, like Hong Kong of old.

It's got jungle, forests, wild animals, fruit, flowers, ocean, mountains, temples, rivers, waterfalls, national parks, old cities, ruins, national festivals, tons of holidays..

Its got suffering.

It's got pain.

It's got death.

Above all, it's got life.

As someone once said, a bad day in Cambodia is better than any day in the West.

I agree, there are probably many that choose Cambodia over places like China or Vietnam based solely on hedonistic motives that might perhaps lead to self-destruction. However, having visited Cambodia, I saw firsthand that there is MUCH MORE to Cambodia than merely cheap drugs and sex.

Cheers,
Kirk
Klamm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk,

Agreed. I did make a rash assumption, just pointed out that that is certainly very there and it is even paraded as such a destination. I felt a little pressure and wisdom against that was needed. And no I'm not making assumptions on Khermit. I think he likes both sides but I think one side is apalling to encourage. Definitely, at least, for the older and wiser and I'm much younger than him.

I suppose he will not give a reply. Pump up Cambodia Kherm but not out of a pleasure of watching people "spin out" before your eyes or living a colonial lifestyle off the backs of a whole lot of suffering and pain that most of us can not even begin to understand.

K.
Aramas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisdom - lol. Opinionated posturing rarely qualifies as wisdom.

TEFL pay is quite low in Cambodia, and being a NGO economy, prices are not. The only people that live a colonial lifestyle are the NGO community - certainly not EFL teachers.

Do you also feel it's your duty to offer your 'wisdom' to people thinking of teaching in Colombia (it's all cocaine and kidnapping, doncha know?), the middle east (they're all islamic terrorists that cut white people's heads off), China (evil commies, puppy eaters and baby murderers) etc. Puerile stereotyping - is that what passes for wisdom in your world?

People have their own reasons for choosing where they would like to teach, and they're generally not swayed by pompous, ill-informed generalisations. If all you see in Cambodia is drugs and taxi-girls then perhaps you might want to consider applying your 'wisdom' closer to home. Of those youngsters that do choose to live the 'high' life in Cambodia, what business is it of yours? Rolling Eyes
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Welcome aboard Reply with quote

Dear Aramas,
Glad to see that you've enlisted in the never-ending war against generalizations and stereotypes.
Regards,
John
Healer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat:

Why have you immigrated to the Cambodia forum? China is not calling anymore? Or is it simply because you are following your friends.

Say Hi to Rhino, his wife feels like crap!

Regards.
H.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Virtual reality Reply with quote

Dear Healer,
Hey, I'm a geezer with time on my hands; I'm all over the forums, butting in whenever the spirit moves me.
I saw your posting about Rhino's wife on the China Off-Topic Forum. That was a considerate thing to do. All too often, we have such limited perspectives on the other posters here, seeing only a tiny fraction of their personalities and their lives. We're fairly one-dimensional here, most of the time. It's good to be reminded of just how little we know one another and how much goes on that we're ignorant of.
I suspect that many of the notions we have about other posters might undergo some major revisions, were we ever to meet them "in real life" and get to know them.
Regards,
John
Healer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Johnslat for your good hart.
Speaking about "wife" how is your fianc�??

Regards
H.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Healer,
She is still quite clearly bonkers since she not only hasn't called off the wedding but actually seems enthusiastic about the prospect of our upcoming nuptials. I am beginning to wonder a bit - I'm reminded of Groucho Marx's remark upon his being turned down for membership at a local golf club:

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."

It'll be the third attempt for each of us - the triumph of hope over experience.
So, which will it be?
Three strikes and you're out.
or
Third time's lucky.

The latter, I hope.

Regards,
John
Healer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John:

We have a old saying here.

"... never 2 without 3 ..."

Regards.
H.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: