Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF Indonesia Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: EF Indonesia Application Reply with quote

How long does it normally take for them to get back to you about an interview. I applied two days ago for a job with them and was wondering when I should expect to hear back.
chezal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: How long is a piece of string? Reply with quote

It really depends on the school. I have applied to some schools in Indonesia and have gotten an immediate reply. While I've had others phoning me to arrange an interview months after I applied.

Also be aware that schools have been on holiday this last week. Some have returned today others won't return until the end of the week/next so expect some delay.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You certainly need to be patient. In reality the DOS has a hundred things to do. Most teachers don't seem to realize how much is involved in this job: interviews, emails, meetings, schedules, monthly reports, marketing promotions, a bit of teaching themselves, angry parents, owners demanding higher profits and all the rest. It's simply the case that you mightn't be their top priority right at that moment. I took my current school 2 weeks to get back to me- I had almost given up on them. TEFL teaching can be a waiting game...
bjones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't have a TEFL or equivalent degree does that make me unlikely to be selected for Indonesia? I applied through the general website last Friday and still have no heard back so I'm not sure if that means I have been not selected.
chezal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said above everyone has been on holiday. Friday was a public holiday for Ramadan and many schools won't have returned yet anyway. So not having a reply yet doesn't mean anything.
Puppets

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it mate. English First like many schools have just finished or are finishing the holiday period and so it may be a little slow right now.

EF DOS's are generally in the office from early mornings till early evenings anyway if not longer making sure they go to meetings, check their emails and making sure everyone is at school when they should be so they can cover for someone if needed or they will have their own classes.

I agree with Bradley, I worked for EF for a while and DOS's do a heck of a lot of work for the money they get. They work most weekends, whether it be actually teaching or doing some kind of admin work. They have to lead by example.

English First schools are always in need of teachers because they're the biggest language school in Indonesia and they'll always have students. That then means they'll always need teachers. They should by rights employ only people who have a degree and a TESOL/CELTA/TEFL certificate but they bend the rules on this. If you speak English, you're willing to work and learn they'll love you.

Their human resource department will give you a phone interview by either you calling them or them calling you and whether it's in two weeks or maybe waiting a few months you'll be here working in Indonesia.
lapzod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone else has said, some schools are still on holiday.

I know mine is until Monday, so just sit tight for a few more days and hopefully someone will be in touch next week.
bjones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just got an email saying that due to indonesian government regulations regarding visas about age and ESl certification they can't process my application. Has something changed with the requirements to go teach or now do you need a certificate for the visa? I'm 22 with a degree from an ivy league school where I graduated with honors so I'm not sure what age restriction or qualification I could otherwise be missing at this juncture in my life.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a law which says you need to be 25. It has not been enforced in the past. When I worked for EF a decade ago there were many teachers in their early 20s who didn't have degrees working there. This wasn't a good situation in terms of academic standards but turning down people with degrees solely on the basis of their age is age discrimination and is clearly the wrong policy too. My consolation to you is that there are better schools than EF who will want you. Can I ask what TEFL certificate you have? What subject was your degree in?
newtefl168

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to EF in June and i received an email from the HR department with in 2 hours of me sending the first email, and they insisted that I fill out the application form within a week and said they would get back to me with in 2 weeks to arrange a phone interview as they wanted new teachers to start as soon as possible,
But I haven't heard any thing back from them, i have almost X amount of years experience teaching at EF and other training centers/schools in china and submitted glowing reference's that can be checked.
I send them a follow up email to check that they received all the attached documents and no reply what so ever.
I know that its Ramadan and festivities slows things down, but I'm very keen to start teaching in Indonesia.
Would it be the D.O.S of the branch that I would like to work at that will be doing the hiring process or would it be the HR department?
Should I ring the branch in question and check that they have received my application? or should I just forget about the whole idea?
from what I've read on this and other forums I would of thought that if I was suitable that I would of heard back from them by now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: