Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching EFL in Peru?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
latinamericaorasiaorbust

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Teaching EFL in Peru? Reply with quote

Peru:
Hello. I’m American and have taught in South Korea for one year followed by approximately 8 years of teaching EFL in various Middle Eastern countries. I would like a change in scenery and am strongly considering Peru. I have a Master of Science (not an MA) in Education and a CELTA (6 years experience post CELTA). I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

1.With my credentials, can I get a job that pays more than low level language schools? If so, what other types of institutions can I apply to?

2. How much should I be able to save? (don’t really need to go out a lot as I am past that age, and am debt free so I would consider a language school as long as I could save a little money.)

3. With my credentials, could I work at a Peruvian K-12 school, or MUST I be licensed?

4. Do any jobs include medical coverage?

5. Is there a preference for Caucasian instructors? Do you know of any native English teachers that aren’t Caucasian?

6. For most jobs, is it better to arrive as a tourist and then search, or is it possible to find a job before flight?

7. Would an international school consider me or is a license required?

8. Is it possible to change employers after starting a position? Or is it difficult without leaving the country and returning (assuming some, if any employers provide work visas)?

9. Is there a certain time of year that is better to apply?

10. Am I correct in assuming flights are not paid for nor reimbursed? If only some institutions, may I ask the names of institutions that you know of which do pay upfront or reimburse?

I sincerely thank you for any feedback you can provide. Please feel free to PM me. And if anyone has considered the Middle East, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have as I have worked in the U.A.E., Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, and Qatar. Thank you again.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Look in BIlingual schools, especially if you studied education, you can make good money that way. Though you might be teaching rich kids. There's also universities, but in my experience they don´t really pay better than institutes.

2. You could save a good amount of money, but it took me a year or two before I started to get ahead. The problem with institutes is that most of the classes are in the morning or night, so it's part time.

3. I'm not sure, but I think you have to have a work visa to work K-12. You might not even need a bacheolers' degree, but public schools won't get you a visa. The pay is crap too. Private schools are another story.

4. The ones that will hire you legally might do medical coverage, especially private schools.

5. No, I've never seen that kind of backwards crap like in some parts of Asia. I mean, you see a lot more white people in the rich neighborhoods and schools, but I don't think it's an issue when hiring--I've worked with black teachers.

6. Yes, just come and then look.

7. A lot of foreign teachers without licences get hired at international schools (it depends which one), but I think that licence helps.

8. I've never actually gotten a work visa, so I don't know, but I don't think it's a big deal. You probably wouldn't have to break any contracts anyway, because it's for a year and then then hiring season is only in summer for K-12.

9. For bilingual schools, hiring season is normally when the school year ends at Christmas until March I think. Some schools start looking as early as September or October. Institutes or Universities will hire year round, but Chrismas time and around Festias Patrias (July) is a little slow.

10. You are correct. I have never heard of anyone getting a free flight, and the only people who get a job overseas are usually at job fairs for people with a teaching licence.

But that being said, there´s a huge demand for native speakers here. If you come, you´ll find a job easily. Maybe it will take you a while to start making money, but you can get by fine. Don´t worry too much about visas and all that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: